Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 11:40 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,263,295 times

Advertisements

Geez, what's wrong with showing a little empathy. It is not ignorant to say that the drunk guy was being a jerk and an idiot. If you're against gays, that's fine and your right to do so but geez, doing it in public, at a fundraiser nonetheless. There's a time and place for everything and talking about your distaste for gays at a fundraiser while you're drunk is inappropriate.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:41 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,683,121 times
So what exactly is the current PC definition of homophobia? I always thought it was one who had an irrational fear or hatred of homosexuals. Is that the mainstream definition? Because many people simply just don't like and disapprove of homosexuality, that's not homophobia. Just because you disapprove of something doesn't mean you are phobic of it. Also telling off-color jokes about homosexuals would not be homophobic in in of itself. It would be dumb and ignorant, but not homophobic.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:45 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,144,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
Sorry but the APA, which is a weeeeeeeeee bit more versed in such topics, totally disagrees with everything you just said.
I agree Kereczr. While I was reading GiftShoppeGuy's post, I was countering each sentence with reality and facts. Sorry, but it just isn't supported.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:47 AM

485 posts, read 1,649,533 times
I am a well read individual and the fact that I choose to believe what the Bible says in regards to homosexuality does not make me ignorant. By me saying that they choose their lifestyle, I am not name calling. You Kereczr are however name calling just because you disagree with me. Read a book--Ha Ha ! If you truly knew who you were talking to you would realize how ignorant this statement is. Also, is it proven in a book that ignorance can cause a nauseous feeling arise in a person's esophagus? Most people I know feel this way when unnatural acts take place in front of them.

Last edited by robinhood; 05-14-2007 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: add to

Old 05-14-2007, 11:52 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,204,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
I am a well read individual and the fact that I choose to believe what the Bible says in regards to homosexuality does not make me ignorant. By me saying that they choose their lifestyle, I am not name calling. You Kereczr are however name calling just because you disagree with me. Read a book--Ha Ha ! If you truly knew who you were talking to you would realize how ignorant this statement is.
Really? Well then improve your reading comprehension, or read books other than one full of myth ^_~ If I can choose to be gay, you can choose to be a wee bit smarter ^_~

Old 05-14-2007, 11:57 AM

485 posts, read 1,649,533 times
Oh, read the post again. I added to it while you were attacting my intellect. You say you're gay, so I know what you do. However, you know nothing about my intellect.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:01 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,204,901 times
Quote:
Oh, read the post again. I added to it while you were attacting my intellect. You say you're gay, so I know what you do. However, you know nothing about my intellect.
In regards to what you added to that post, I know people who feel that way when they see a black guy with a white girl

Old 05-14-2007, 12:12 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,144,631 times
Quote:
I am a well read individual and the fact that I choose to believe what the Bible says in regards to homosexuality does not make me ignorant. By me saying that they choose their lifestyle, I am not name calling. You Kereczr are however name calling just because you disagree with me. Read a book--Ha Ha ! If you truly knew who you were talking to you would realize how ignorant this statement is.
Can I interject that if the Bible is your believable source of information on homosexuality, then your situation might be the same as an inexperienced person who only uses a Home Depot textbook to build a house. In both situations, actual evidence gleaned from life experience is discounted or ignored. The textbook won't be able to address every building concern and an experienced contractor would be a better guide. Likewise, the experiences of actual gay people would be more trustworthy than a book that disparages them. Hence, some people might label your beliefs as ignorant because they illogically ignore all the other evidence, such as the fact that gay people don't choose to be gay. In fact, I can't recall any Bible verse which categorically says that.

I guess the larger issue is why people adhere to their interpretation of the Bible while real world experience and evidence would expand one's understanding. Is it not ignorant to reach a conclusion about something until all the available evidence has been gathered? Isn't picking and choosing which facts suit you another possible characteristic of an ignorant person?

Last edited by mhouse2001; 05-14-2007 at 12:31 PM..

Old 05-14-2007, 12:13 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,437,396 times
Default maybe being drunk had something to do with it?

many many people say things they regret later, and did not really mean when they were intoxicated...maybe that is what happened here?

Old 05-14-2007, 12:14 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,263,295 times
thanks for getting back on track pghpanative

boy, it's getting hot in here. where's a mod to cool things down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.