Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Eating Meat Products and Wearing Fur Inhuman and should it be stopped?
Yes - eating meat and wear fur is inhumane and should be stopped 3 5.36%
No - neither practice is inhumane. Animals were put on earth for these purposes 29 51.79%
Divided - Eating Meat is fine - Wearing Furs should be stopped 22 39.29%
Undecided at this time 2 3.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 03:38 PM

18,361 posts, read 26,560,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
No, that's EXACTLY why it's preferred - when you send an electrical current through the anus & genitalia, it keeps the fur intact. AND it's cheaper than gas - which, as the above poster stated, isn't all that humane itself.

Although you may not be aware of it, U.S. fur producers use electrocution often enough that states have actually had to make an effort to legally ban the practice.
No, there's a risk of fur damage with it.

States have banned it not because of it being commonly done but because of propaganda put out about it by animal rights groups convincing politicians they need to do something about it, even though it's a non-issue in reality.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:42 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,239,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
If CO2 builds up slowly it is painful. A sudden, quick, high concentration dose of it will take an animal out instantly.
Are you sure? Do you do this stuff yourself? The reason I ask is because I work with a few vivisectors. I really like them, to be clear, but if I dwell on their daily activities I'll cry. Any way, they use standard CO2 chambers. According to them, the animals suffocate for several minutes and die. Just as any of us would.

Quote:
CO would be a better method though.
It should be law. I don't know why CO2 would be used over CO. I'm guessing CO is more expensive.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:44 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,611,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
Typical response, but a doctor begs to differ:

Te following info comes from "The Comparative Anatomy of Eating", by Milton R. Mills, M.D.

Facial Muscles
CARNIVORE: Reduced to allow wide mouth gape
HERBIVORE: Well-developed
OMNIVORE: Reduced
HUMAN: Well-developed

Jaw Type
CARNIVORE: Angle not expanded
HERBIVORE: Expanded angle
OMNIVORE: Angle not expanded
HUMAN: Expanded angle

Jaw Joint Location
CARNIVORE: On same plane as molar teeth
HERBIVORE: Above the plane of the molars
OMNIVORE: On same plane as molar teeth
HUMAN: Above the plane of the molars

Jaw Motion
CARNIVORE: Shearing; minimal side-to-side motion
HERBIVORE: No shear; good side-to-side, front-to-back
OMNIVORE: Shearing; minimal side-to-side
HUMAN: No shear; good side-to-side, front-to-back

Major Jaw Muscles
CARNIVORE: Temporalis
HERBIVORE: Masseter and pterygoids
OMNIVORE: Temporalis
HUMAN: Masseter and pterygoids

Mouth Opening vs. Head Size
CARNIVORE: Large
HERBIVORE: Small
OMNIVORE: Large
HUMAN: Small

Teeth: Incisors
CARNIVORE: Short and pointed
HERBIVORE: Broad, flattened and spade shaped
OMNIVORE: Short and pointed
HUMAN: Broad, flattened and spade shaped

Teeth: Canines
CARNIVORE: Long, sharp and curved
HERBIVORE: Dull and short or long (for defense), or none
OMNIVORE: Long, sharp and curved
HUMAN: Short and blunted

Teeth: Molars
CARNIVORE: Sharp, jagged and blade shaped
HERBIVORE: Flattened with cusps vs complex surface
OMNIVORE: Sharp blades and/or flattened
HUMAN: Flattened with nodular cusps

Chewing
CARNIVORE: None; swallows food whole
HERBIVORE: Extensive chewing necessary
OMNIVORE: Swallows food whole and/or simple crushing
HUMAN: Extensive chewing necessary

Saliva
CARNIVORE: No digestive enzymes
HERBIVORE: Carbohydrate digesting enzymes
OMNIVORE: No digestive enzymes
HUMAN: Carbohydrate digesting enzymes

Stomach Type
CARNIVORE: Simple
HERBIVORE: Simple or multiple chambers
OMNIVORE: Simple
HUMAN: Simple

Stomach Acidity
CARNIVORE: Less than or equal to pH 1 with food in stomach
HERBIVORE: pH 4 to 5 with food in stomach
OMNIVORE: Less than or equal to pH 1 with food in stomach
HUMAN: pH 4 to 5 with food in stomach

Stomach Capacity
CARNIVORE: 60% to 70% of total volume of digestive tract
HERBIVORE: Less than 30% of total volume of digestive tract
OMNIVORE: 60% to 70% of total volume of digestive tract
HUMAN: 21% to 27% of total volume of digestive tract

Length of Small Intestine
CARNIVORE: 3 to 6 times body length
HERBIVORE: 10 to more than 12 times body length
OMNIVORE: 4 to 6 times body length
HUMAN: 10 to 11 times body length

Colon
CARNIVORE: Simple, short and smooth
HERBIVORE: Long, complex; may be sacculated
OMNIVORE: Simple, short and smooth
HUMAN: Long, sacculated

Liver
CARNIVORE: Can detoxify vitamin A
HERBIVORE: Cannot detoxify vitamin A
OMNIVORE: Can detoxify vitamin A
HUMAN: Cannot detoxify vitamin A

Kidney
CARNIVORE: Extremely concentrated urine
HERBIVORE: Moderately concentrated urine
OMNIVORE: Extremely concentrated urine
HUMAN: Moderately concentrated urine

Nails
CARNIVORE: Sharp claws
HERBIVORE: Flattened nails or blunt hooves
OMNIVORE: Sharp claws
HUMAN: Flattened nails
His work, particularly the logic used to reach his conclusions, are subject to debate and seen by many as flawed and simplistic.

What Comparative Anatomy Does/Doesn't Tell Us about Human Diet

Old 11-10-2009, 03:46 PM

My step-dad is/was a furrier. He didn't kill the animals, tho. My mom's closet is filled with fur. None of this stuff crosses their minds. Given all of our technology, all of our privilege and resources, I just don't see the point of harming an animal for its fur. I also don't understand why people take issue with other nations using dogs and cats for their fur, but don't mind using minks.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Are you sure? Do you do this stuff yourself? The reason I ask is because I work with a few vivisectors. I really like them, to be clear, but if I dwell on their daily activities I'll cry. Any way, they use standard CO2 chambers. According to them, the animals suffocate for several minutes and die. Just as any of us would.

It should be law. I don't know why CO2 would be used over CO. I'm guessing CO is more expensive.
I've researched the subject. I know a vet too (or did, up in Northern VT, I'm in central VT right now), who does this stuff in a daily basis (but not on fur farms). I'm not sure what kind of chambers those people are using you know, sounds like they're slower, but is the animal awake throughout or asleep through it?

I can't imagine CO being more expensive than CO2, that wouldn't make sense.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
My step-dad is/was a furrier. He didn't kill the animals, tho. My mom's closet is filled with fur. None of this stuff crosses their minds. Given all of our technology, all of our privilege and resources, I just don't see the point of harming an animal for its fur. I also don't understand why people take issue with other nations using dogs and cats for their fur, but don't mind using minks.
The synthetic alternatives really aren't terribly good for the environment.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:52 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,958,313 times
I don't have an issue with animals being used by humans for various products or consumption. But, I do have an issue with how most are raised and killed. In my dream world, they would all be free range, not raised in pens or cages, and killed quickly and humanely. But, it would probably be difficult to meet demand in such a scenario.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I've researched the subject. I know a vet too (or did, up in Northern VT, I'm in central VT right now), who does this stuff in a daily basis (but not on fur farms). I'm not sure what kind of chambers those people are using you know, sounds like they're slower, but is the animal awake throughout or asleep through it?
The animals are awake. I wish they were put to sleep first. They're not. I have to be careful when prodding, tho. I'm not even given clearance to access their facilities. OTOH, my co is in the lead for AW treatment to boot, and it's still subpar imo.

Quote:
I can't imagine CO being more expensive than CO2, that wouldn't make sense.
Is it just that suffering isn't dawning on them? I don't know. I've been trying to figure out a way to push another method, but I don't know how to go about it. Any way, from what I understand, CO would cause the animal to pass out first-painlessly, but don't quote me on that.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
The synthetic alternatives really aren't terribly good for the environment.
Well, they're certainly not good for these animals. Surely, we're bright enough to come up with an alternative. I guess the only answer is to try to decrease demand. It's not as if these fur coats are produced, in the west at least, to keep the homeless from freezing to death in the north.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:02 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,597,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I don't have an issue with animals being used by humans for various products or consumption. But, I do have an issue with how most are raised and killed. In my dream world, they would all be free range, not raised in pens or cages, and killed quickly and humanely. But, it would probably be difficult to meet demand in such a scenario.
I'll agree with you, although not practical it is ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies