Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Eating Meat Products and Wearing Fur Inhuman and should it be stopped?
Yes - eating meat and wear fur is inhumane and should be stopped 3 5.36%
No - neither practice is inhumane. Animals were put on earth for these purposes 29 51.79%
Divided - Eating Meat is fine - Wearing Furs should be stopped 22 39.29%
Undecided at this time 2 3.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:12 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times

Advertisements

I see most people think eating meat is ok.

However, some are opposed to wearing fur. I see no problem with either, you're going to kill animals anyway. Lets face it folks, we didn't get to the top of the food chain by being nice to the small and fuzzies.

Its about personal choice. If you don't like killing small fuzzy creatures for fur, then don't wear the fur. However, some of us see no problem with that at all, and you can look down on us for doing so. Don't try and take my right away though, then I'll get all upset and just start tanning my own leather again.

I have a shearling coat at the house right now. For those that don't know, its when they take sheep, shear the fur down, and then slaughter them. Of course the sheep is eaten, but then they tan the leather with the fur still on it. Then they make a coat out of it.

Its a fur coat, and the animal was eaten. If I wanted a mink coat (how gay would that be) I'd eat that critter to.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:15 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,675,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th Street View Post
I no longer eat meat, and it really does not bother me that other people do; however, I have a serious issues with factory farming, and I really do wish that meat production was more sustainable. I did not become a vegetarian for animal rights reason, but I happened to see the movie Earthlings after I became one, and honestly I was so horrified by the animal cruelty at the meat production plants in that movie that I had to stop watching about 1/3 of the way through. People have been eating meat forever, but meat production has not always been that disgusting.
I don't know about that! It's deer season here and my place is always the place where my friends and I cut up whatever we get for deer. We cut and packaged a small buck last Sunday. There was plenty of gore to go around and I know a good many people who will not participate in the butchering process. They will gladly eat the meat but do not want to witness the skinning, quartering, cutting, boning, and trimming of the meat. I don't think any of us particularly ENJOY cutting up an animal it's just something we have to do. After all is said and done it's nice to have venison for the freezer. On the other hand I'm not sure I'd want to cut up a 1200 pound beef critter too often (although we have done 800 pound moose in the past)!

Old 11-10-2009, 01:16 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,679,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwoods View Post
You can't get B-12 from plants. Vegans have to take supplements to get it, so a vegan diet alone isn't nutritionally sound.
incorrect. b-12 is available in fermented soy products (like tofu), seaweed, nutritional yeast (which is more delicious than it sounds), and quite a few other sources.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I don't know about that! It's deer season here and my place is always the place where my friends and I cut up whatever we get for deer. We cut and packaged a small buck last Sunday. There was plenty of gore to go around and I know a good many people who will not participate in the butchering process. They will gladly eat the meat but do not want to witness the skinning, quartering, cutting, boning, and trimming of the meat. I don't think any of us particularly ENJOY cutting up an animal it's just something we have to do. After all is said and done it's nice to have venison for the freezer. On the other hand I'm not sure I'd want to cut up a 1200 pound beef critter too often (although we have done 800 pound moose in the past)!
i don't think 17th st. is talking about the actual process of killing, skinning, and cutting up an animal. that's always gonna be gross. but the methods of killing and the manner in which the animals live is a lot grosser and more cruel in factory farms than it is in smaller farms.

an example: it used to be perfectly safe to eat raw eggs. nowadays, it isn't unless you go to a small farm for eggs. that's because in factory farms, hens don't have freedom of movement. they sit over their eggs all day and poop on them. and eggshells are porous. that's why we have a problem with people getting salmonella from raw eggs, yet recipes exist that include them.

i'd highly recommend that anyone who has a conscience about where their food comes from read michael pollan's books - he's not an advocate of vegetarianism but i do think that his ideas about how food production should be are slightly more realistic and are the next best thing.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:21 PM

716 posts, read 1,120,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
incorrect. b-12 is available in fermented soy products (like tofu), seaweed, nutritional yeast (which is more delicious than it sounds), and quite a few other sources.

From what I've read, tofu can be fortified with B-12, but it doesn't naturally occur in it.

"Vitamin B12 is needed for cell division and blood formation. Neither plants nor animals make vitamin B12. Bacteria are responsible for producing vitamin B12. Animals get their vitamin B12 from eating foods contaminated with vitamin B12 and then the animal becomes a source of vitamin B12. Plant foods do not contain vitamin B12 except when they are contaminated by microorganisms or have vitamin B12 added to them. Thus, vegans need to look to fortified foods or supplements to get vitamin B12 in their diet."

Vitamin B12 in the Vegan Diet -- The Vegetarian Resource Group

Old 11-10-2009, 01:29 PM

hm, you're right - it looks like the information i had was out of date. i always thought the b12 in nutritional yeast and tofu was naturally occurring, but i guess they're fortified.

however, a vegan diet that includes foods fortified with b12 is fine. and the b12 in supplements comes from vegan sources (bacteria).

Old 11-10-2009, 01:32 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
i don't think 17th st. is talking about the actual process of killing, skinning, and cutting up an animal. that's always gonna be gross. but the methods of killing and the manner in which the animals live is a lot grosser and more cruel in factory farms than it is in smaller farms.
I Deer hunt. I shoot and kill the deer (hopefully with a head shot.

The deer is then strung up - a knife is taken out - the deer is then gutted.

No different than anywhere else (except perhaps the shooting part)

Old 11-10-2009, 01:33 PM

did the deer live its entire life in a little box before you shot it? or crowded in a feedlot with hundreds of other deer? are their antlers ripped out of their heads to keep them from butting each other?

do you ever miss your shot and not quite kill the deer before it's skinned and cut apart?

do hunters go nuts the way slaughterhouse workers do and start torturing the deer for fun while they're hunting?

Old 11-10-2009, 01:33 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
did the deer live its entire life in a little box before you shot it?
I did not ask Bambi

Old 11-10-2009, 01:34 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Chased it and shot it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies