Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Eating Meat Products and Wearing Fur Inhuman and should it be stopped?
Yes - eating meat and wear fur is inhumane and should be stopped 3 5.36%
No - neither practice is inhumane. Animals were put on earth for these purposes 29 51.79%
Divided - Eating Meat is fine - Wearing Furs should be stopped 22 39.29%
Undecided at this time 2 3.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 12:49 PM

24,908 posts, read 39,364,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Agreed, if that is the only reason they are killing them...

And I spent a year in South Korea and Greatday's "Bomber Jacket, with a mink collar and cuffs" might just be Dog and not Mink... Those Koreans can do wonders with dogs...
Nah - it was mink - trust me!

Old 11-10-2009, 12:50 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,314,769 times
I voted for the first option, but animals weren't "put here" for us. They would be completely fine without our intervention. Our bodies and cultures evolved over the years to use what was needed to survive-- meat to eat and fur to wear.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:52 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,484,645 times
I am the named vegetarian from the other thread. I don't drink milk (mainly because Soy milk keeps longer), but I do eat cheese and cage-free eggs. (Not all cage-free eggs are necessarily humane, either, but I digress).

However, I voted "divided" in the poll, because eating meat is not in itself inhumane, however, the majority of farming practices in the country ARE inhumane.

I don't push my lifestyle on anyone, not even my boyfriend, and especially not my dog.

However, I do know where my dog's food comes from (I buy it from a small organic pet food store, and the owner researches every product thoroughly), and I encourage the BF to know where his comes from, also. Farmers' Markets and local butchers are a more humane choice for meat & eggs than the grocery store.

Regarding fur: that, I AM adamantly against. (No, I'm not a member of PETA - their tactics are ineffective and they regularly shoot their own credibility in the foot).

Reason: The commonly accepted - because it is the least expensive way to kill an animal while preserving its fur - is anal or genital electrocution. The animals are fully conscious for this.

States are beginning to introduce legislation that would ban this practice.

In addition, animals in fur factories - much like factory farms - spend their entire lives cramped in tiny cages. All their natural instincts—running, digging, mating, socializing and hunting—are stifled, and they are turned into fur-producing (or food-producing) machines.

So yes, I urge everyone to avoid fur products, AND faux fur - because if the value of animal fur on an object is low enough, producers are not required to label it, meaning that you may unwittingly be wearing dog fur. Yes, cheap, imported DOG fur.

8,650 posts, read 17,288,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Nah - it was mink - trust me!
Mommy told me to never trust anyone on the internet...

77,770 posts, read 105,237,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
They're both "inhumane" but the only way either will stop is if there's no market for them.

So....
i guess you are a vegan or a vegetarian right?

Nita

Old 11-10-2009, 12:54 PM

24,908 posts, read 39,364,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Mommy told me to never trust anyone on the internet...
LOL

Actually, I heard the thing you related about Dogs being used.

There is a Fur Dealer we know and I took the jacket to him - he looked at it and confirmed it was mink - a good quality pelt too.

I must admit it did "scare" me til I had it confirmed.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:00 PM

18,339 posts, read 26,601,619 times
Quote:
LOL

Actually, I heard the thing you related about Dogs being used.

There is a Fur Dealer we know and I took the jacket to him - he looked at it and confirmed it was mink - a good quality pelt too.

I must admit it did "scare" me til I had it confirmed.
Raccoon dogs (the "dogs" as claimed by many animal rights groups) are not domestic dogs as we think of them...not much different than using fox or coyote fur...

But your wife may find some of the wild furs available nice too in addition to the mink...furs like bobcat, fisher, beaver, fox, marten, otter...mink is nice but I don't think you can beat fox fur for softeness or otter for durability.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:02 PM

18,339 posts, read 26,601,619 times
For the original question: I see nothing wrong with either. I do desire humane methods to be used and for endangered species to be protected but commercially available fur is a renewable natural resource and much better for the environment than the synthetic alternatives...without fur we never would have moved out of the tropics or survived the ice age...

Old 11-10-2009, 01:03 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,484,645 times
Quote:
Well, we disagree with you. Fur, and animal hides, have been used as clothing for centuries.

BTW, do you have any leather products that you use? Perhaps shoes, or car seats?

Should this be abolished also?
Just because something has always been done, is not an argument for it to continue.

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I don't buy leather, either. The animals are treated the same way as factory farm animals, and are often the same animals. Also, most leather comes from developing countries where the animals (note: I said animals, not cows - everything from ostriches to dogs are used for leather) are not protected by any animal welfare laws.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:04 PM

716 posts, read 1,122,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnab gib View Post
Show me the evidence that humans are "meant" to eat meat.

Eating meat is a choice, just like being a vegetarian is. No one needs to eat meat -- you can get all the same nutritional benefits from a plant-based diet.

You can't get B-12 from plants. Vegans have to take supplements to get it, so a vegan diet alone isn't nutritionally sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies