Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 07:28 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,887,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncdiamond View Post
Well no im not saying they are the end all be all to overpopulation..I am a gay woman with children of my own so i know that all of us are adopting.. however, there are a large percentage of us who are or are planning to rather it be because we just dont have the finances for these expensive medical procedures or just rather not when there are children who need parents already and that is a positive thing..
Good luck to you in your adoption journey. If you are happy adopting older children, black children, children who have attachment disorder, or suffer from disabilities related to their birthmother's drug usage, then you will not have difficulty finding children to adopt. It is virtually impossible to adopt a healthy, white infant whose mother took care of herself. Those babies are few and far between and generally go to young heterosexual couples who have no children already. Most adoptions now are also open adoptions, which can be very unsatisfying for adoptive parents and confusing for children.

People are still holding onto the myth that adoption in 2009 is exactly the way it was in 1950; it is not. It is also not fair for people who have bio children and were blessed with the experience of raising a normal, healthy child to make judgments about infertile couples who are not willing to adopt special needs, other race, or older children. Infertiles get very weary of hearing the implied "beggars can't be choosers" from fertiles who take their own healthy bio children for granted.

This is why people will mortgage their homes, sell their cars, and take on two jobs in order to fund reproductive procedures that allow them to conceive and gestate a child on their own, or at least be able to select a surrogate who is responsible and reliable.

I have a number of friends who wanted to do a good deed and adopt special needs children, and every single one of their stories is a nightmare and a tragedy. How I wish it weren't true, but I wouldn't want that for my worst enemy. The foster care system as well as foreign orphanages are busting at the seams with an excess of special needs and hard to place children and their focus is on getting them placed, by whatever means necessary -- even bald faced lying --, which often leads to them deceiving hapless infertile couples into taking children who will never give them the experience of family they are seeking.

Please be careful and do your research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 07:37 PM

ncdiamond, you also should do your research into the costs of adoption vs. medical procedures. Adoption can cost upwards of 20K to 30K, which is actually much more than a donor egg cycle (some clinics offer special deals for about 14K) or an intrauterine insemination (about 1K).

If you adopt a special needs child or an older child with attachment disorder, you will spend tens of thousands of dollars on therapies, some of which may be covered by insurance but not all. I know a family bankrupted by the therapy costs for two children (older, learning disabled, emotionally damaged) they adopted from Russia.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:47 PM

9 posts, read 28,268 times
Let me be clear in saying i have no intention on adopting any children since i have 5 biological children of my own( so i certainly do want anymore). Because i didnt have the guts to come out earlier i married at the young age of 19 and hand by 25 my ex husband and i had 5 children and a 6th who was stillborn and really prompted my decision to stop the fiasco of a baby making unhappy sham of a marriage. The good thing that came out of that though is that i was able to have my children and now live a fulfilled life with my now wife and we dont have the issue of having children.. But not all gays and lesbians have my story and therefore quite a few of them chose to adopt.. I have friends in the community in all situations.. My best friend and her wife had 2 children through invetro and others had children already like myself but the majority i know of are opting to adopt..

Old 11-09-2009, 08:23 PM

277 posts, read 368,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncdiamond View Post
Has anyone ever looked at this point of view?? Times have changed dramatically and not for the better. Everyone keeps talking about how being gay is not normal and you cant produce children from it.. Well Maybe thats a good thing!! The percentage of single mothers today is startling and the foster care system is overflowing worse than the prisons. Now you have a population of people that together cannot biologically produce a child so it would make sense to allow them the opportunity to give these children a loving home since only a few of heterosexuals cannot produce themselves and are therefore having children of their own.
There is a purpose for everyone who is born on the face of this earth(gays included). And if we could work together more than fighting everything thats different, we would be better off. This has been going on from the beginning of time. The jews, blacks, Native americans, Hispanics...and now that we cannot discriminate against them anymore(legally that is) now its gays..
My point is people are so hell bent on opposing the sexual act of homosexuals instead of looking at them as people that have something to contribute to society just like everyone else.. People use the bible to discriminate when we are so far from the original principles of the bible its rediculous..Where in the bible did men leave their woman and children to fend for themselves?? where was divorce meant to be the solution to your marital problems??In the bible woman were to learn in silence, not run countries!!Last i checked fornication and adultery were part of the 10 commandments not homosexuality..Yet both are commited by heterosexuals daily.. I am not trying to bash heterosexuals im just saying that people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones.. the same way Christ himself would not stone the alduterer..
Just a thought...
No Gays....no fashion (as we know it)
No Gays...no make up artists (as we know it)
No Gays...no interior designers (as we know it)
No Gays...ghettos will remain and none will be turned into fab trendy areas
No Gays...many people close to your hearts would cease to be.

God made Gays for a reason...accept it and live in peace with your neighbors.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post

How could you forget my hairstylist? I'm affronted!

Old 11-09-2009, 08:53 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,314,858 times
Quote:

Adam and Eve were gay?

Gays have a mental disorder that makes them crave someone of the same sex which is not normal behavior.

God created medicines for illnesses like this and we seem to have not found the cure for this mental disorder yet.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:56 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,953,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Take a visit to the primate area of your local zoo and then tell me its not found in nature.
http://www.salon.com/it/feature/1999/03/src/15monkeys.gif (broken link)

Old 11-09-2009, 09:22 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,610,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Adam and Eve were gay?

Gays have a mental disorder that makes them crave someone of the same sex which is not normal behavior.

God created medicines for illnesses like this and we seem to have not found the cure for this mental disorder yet.
^^^^^^

Hatemongering. Pure and simple.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:42 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,906,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I get a really good laugh out of it when the christers start in about how un-natural it is. Well thats NOT true, its found in nature all around us and its also a historical fact.

Take a visit to the primate area of your local zoo and then tell me its not found in nature.
Sure .. I've been to the local zoo and have seen the primates ..

The only thing they did was throw poop at people.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:44 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,906,961 times
Quote:

Hey ... you forgot .. "comfortable shoes"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies