Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 04:42 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,182,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
So out of the loop. GDP is but one of a number of variables that are examined in determining the official start point of a recession. In this case, the official start point was without any doubt whatsoever December of 2007, because the National Bureau of Economic Research (the people who make the official call) said so.
Thats funny, I didnt see you posting to point out how the recession isnt over when the GDP increased last month. Why is that? Ahh, dont bother to answer because you only like the definition of words when they support your theories, but when they dont, definitions of words are meaningless..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
There is no such thing as USBEA. The Bureau of Economic Analysis is an agency of the US Department of Commerce. It is always just BEA.
U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA) - bea.gov Home Page

United States BEA.. You know what I meant but to argue about something so petty is typical..
Quote:
BEA prepares the estimates of the US National Income and Product Accounts, one part of which is GDP. BEA has nothing whatsoever to do with determining when a recession begins or ends. As noted above, those determinations are made by NBER. Here is their release concerning the start of the current recession...

December 2007 Peak in Economic Activity
I guess you can pretend that legal definition of a recession isnt
Recession Law & Legal Definition
If inflation-adjusted Gross Domestic Product (or, alternatively, the closely related measure called Gross National Product) declines for two successive quarters (i.e., six months in a row), a recession has begun, and when inflation-adjusted GDP subsequently rises for two consecutive quarters, the recession has ended and recovery is under way

Look back on the GDP chart and tell me when we had a decline in two successive quarters. Hint, it wasnt December 07..

Old 11-09-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
No such thing happened. The transition staff (Romer and Bernstein) released a projection showing that unemployment would peak earlier and at a lower level with a stimulus package than without. Because the projection was done based on November 2008 data -- when unemployment was 6.7% -- the scale on a graph in that paper shows unemployment peaking at about 8% with a stimulus and at a little over 9% without. At the time, private sector analysts were projecting that 2009 unemployment would peak at between 8% and 8.25%. There was no promise, guaranty, or prediction of anything at all in that projection paper.
Whats terrible for Obama is the fact that videos exist of him complaining about 20,000 jobs lossed in one month and 260K under Bush for the YEAR.. He's now losing the every TWO WEEKS..

YouTube - Barack Obama: Press Conference in Indianapolis

I know, you'll come back and pretend that isnt Obama..

Old 11-09-2009, 04:57 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,307,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indurain View Post
The entire world - not just the USA - has imploded economically.

The fact of the matter is that Obama's policies are correct.

The 1930's recession shows us that investment by the govt is essential in a recession like this.

The private sector won't/can't step in to the breech.

Suggest you familiarise yourself with John Maynard Keynes, David Blanchflower etc
What is correct about Bo polices?
I mean what the hell you are talking about?????????????????????????

Old 11-09-2009, 04:58 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,307,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Whats terrible for Obama is the fact that videos exist of him complaining about 20,000 jobs lossed in one month and 260K under Bush for the YEAR.. He's now losing the every TWO WEEKS..

YouTube - Barack Obama: Press Conference in Indianapolis

I know, you'll come back and pretend that isnt Obama..
Barrack has not clue, shows weakness, and lacks experince in every
category.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:00 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,497,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Guess that means there's no way we should ever trust anything that comes out of this administration then. Regardless of whom the actual mouthpiece may be, it will always just be explained away as a "projection", not a promise.
I guess that will be a problem for those who can't tell the difference between the two to begin with. For future reference, once of them tends to use a lot of econometrics. The other one doesn't. See if that helps...

Old 11-09-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
What is correct about Bo polices?
I mean what the hell you are talking about?????????????????????????
Ind doesnt live in America.. I think he should offer this disclaimer on everyone of his posts..

Old 11-09-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I guess that will be a problem for those who can't tell the difference between the two to begin with. For future reference, once of them tends to use a lot of econometrics. The other one doesn't. See if that helps...
Shouldnt you be writing the next bill involving the taking away of another freedom of ours away or putting data together to explain how we should be paying even more taxes for less, and figuring out how to explain it so we should be happy about it?

I always assumed that was a 24 hour a day job for government employees.. all sitting around plotting the next one, just to see how far american citizens will go before we break?

Old 11-09-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
Barrack has not clue, shows weakness, and lacks experince in every
category.
Take Bush's job losses of 20,000 for the month, and indeed Obama is breaking records. He's losing that every 30 or so hours..

He should be given an award allright.. Nobel Peace Prize I'm not sure would be the right one..
http://therealbarackobama.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/americanidolobama.jpg?w=432&h=293 (broken link)
At least he belongs to the right party... haha

Old 11-09-2009, 07:03 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,497,367 times
Quote:
Thats funny, I didnt see you posting to point out how the recession isnt over when the GDP increased last month. Why is that?
I don't think you saw me commenting one way or the other because the matter isn't resolved. NBER will make the call, but I suspect it will be a while yet in coming. So, maybe it's over and maybe it isn't. We'll have to wait and see. After all, they didn't announce their official finding that the recession began in December 2007 until December 2008.

Quote:
Ahh, dont bother to answer because you only like the definition of words when they support your theories, but when they dont, definitions of words are meaningless..
I don't approve of people who don't know any better throwing around words that have a very specific contextual definition as if none of that mattered and any old defintion of their personal choosing will do. Using one definition of a word where another one is called for is a fallacy of equivocation. We see that quite a bit around here.

N.B. The Theory of Evolution is not just some theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies