Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 02:23 AM

168 posts, read 484,146 times

Advertisements

Please, don't tell me that there are Newt Gingrich worshipers. It's just sickening to see fellow Americans groveling and rejoicing over the empty words and promises of those like Newt Gingrich. Wake up and realize that politics is now a career of opportunity, power, and money. No one is going to try and help ANYONE in this nation.

Just look at the White House. The republicans and the democrats have been effectively trading it off back and forth for the past 30 years at 8 years a pop. Obama will in for 8 years as the Republicans will pick a shill or rube to run in 2012 and lose. We can turn on our TV's and watch the Republicans and Democrats fight back and forth in order to make it ALL look like a good contest, but BOTH parties know the eventual outcome and couldn't care less. The entire political system in this nation has become fully corrupt as it allows ONLY those in power to decide your futures. Major bills and government projects are publicly packaged to make the taxpayer THINK it is good for them only to later discover the HOLES that ultimately hurt the citizens and help the special interests. By now, you might think i am wrong but the entire public is being conveniently manipulated in their independent thinking when the government just fabricates a phalanx of lies each week that are designed to advance the agenda of the elite and special interests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
.....if we "can do better than this" the democrats don't have a prayer with their record deficits, record spending and ever higher taxes.
Both Democrats & Republicans are enjoying themselves at the expense of this nation's future while they keep the electorate virtually split and unable to fire all 535 of them. if you are one of the nation's anointed, you don't really need to listen to your constituents anymore. America is politically split and therefore paralyzed and too impotent to take decisive action against these worthless politicians who are modern day hucksters, carnies, and losers that operate with complete impunity. You cannot and will not stop them. Cry and whine all you want, but HOW can you vote them out of office without the help of voters from both sides?

Once the inevitable financial collapse occurs, then and only then will you see any change because the end result will be a lot of angry citizens that will finally band together. Until then, sit back and enjoy your nation of 300 million-plus being dismantled by a total of 546 misfits that don't have to answer to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
explain why there are only 2 president in history to have a balanced budget.
Only two presidents to have a balanced budget? The president can submit a budget to Congress, but constitutionally it is the Congress that appropriates monies and passes the bill. The President MUST also sign the bill in order for it to become law or he can VETO the bill. Up until the 1950's, there were several instances where the United States treasury enjoyed surpluses in various years. However, in the last 50 years alone, EACH an EVERY YEAR the US has had a DEFICIT and there has been NO SURPLUS in any year over the past 50 years. It's official, there was NO SURPLUS under CLINTON ot ANYONE else in the past 50 years. Here are the government links to prove it:

Debt to the Penny (Daily History Search Application)

Government - Historical Debt Outstanding – Annual

Government - Historical Debt Outstanding - Annual 1950 - 1999

Government - Historical Debt Outstanding - Annual 2000 - 2008

In the links above, you will discover that the federal budget created a DEFICIT in Each and EVERY YEAR over the past 50 years. In each of those years, the PRESIDENT ultimately signed the bills into law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 03:25 AM

38,651 posts, read 26,453,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercone View Post
Please, don't tell me that there are Newt Gingrich worshipers. It's just sickening to see fellow Americans groveling and rejoicing over the empty words and promises of those like Newt Gingrich. Wake up and realize that politics is now a career of opportunity, power, and money. No one is going to try and help ANYONE in this nation.

Just look at the White House. The republicans and the democrats have been effectively trading it off back and forth for the past 30 years at 8 years a pop. Obama will in for 8 years as the Republicans will pick a shill or rube to run in 2012 and lose. We can turn on our TV's and watch the Republicans and Democrats fight back and forth in order to make it ALL look like a good contest, but BOTH parties know the eventual outcome and couldn't care less. The entire political system in this nation has become fully corrupt as it allows ONLY those in power to decide your futures. Major bills and government projects are publicly packaged to make the taxpayer THINK it is good for them only to later discover the HOLES that ultimately hurt the citizens and help the special interests. By now, you might think i am wrong but the entire public is being conveniently manipulated in their independent thinking when the government just fabricates a phalanx of lies each week that are designed to advance the agenda of the elite and special interests.

Both Democrats & Republicans are enjoying themselves at the expense of this nation's future while they keep the electorate virtually split and unable to fire all 535 of them. if you are one of the nation's anointed, you don't really need to listen to your constituents anymore. America is politically split and therefore paralyzed and too impotent to take decisive action against these worthless politicians who are modern day hucksters, carnies, and losers that operate with complete impunity. You cannot and will not stop them. Cry and whine all you want, but HOW can you vote them out of office without the help of voters from both sides?

Once the inevitable financial collapse occurs, then and only then will you see any change because the end result will be a lot of angry citizens that will finally band together. Until then, sit back and enjoy your nation of 300 million-plus being dismantled by a total of 546 misfits that don't have to answer to anyone.

Only two presidents to have a balanced budget? The president can submit a budget to Congress, but constitutionally it is the Congress that appropriates monies and passes the bill. The President MUST also sign the bill in order for it to become law or he can VETO the bill. Up until the 1950's, there were several instances where the United States treasury enjoyed surpluses in various years. However, in the last 50 years alone, EACH an EVERY YEAR the US has had a DEFICIT and there has been NO SURPLUS in any year over the past 50 years. It's official, there was NO SURPLUS under CLINTON ot ANYONE else in the past 50 years. Here are the government links to prove it:

Debt to the Penny (Daily History Search Application)

Government - Historical Debt Outstanding – Annual

Government - Historical Debt Outstanding - Annual 1950 - 1999

Government - Historical Debt Outstanding - Annual 2000 - 2008

In the links above, you will discover that the federal budget created a DEFICIT in Each and EVERY YEAR over the past 50 years. In each of those years, the PRESIDENT ultimately signed the bills into law.

The Contract with America was pivotal and historic. Bottom line is that after we shut down the federal government twice (once late in 1995 and again in early 1996) the Congress was able to force Clinton to agree to spending cuts that made Pay-go workable. The tax cuts spurred growth and brought us to a balanced budget years before it was anticipated. BO doesn't have the luxury of a thin resume and correct pigmentation. next time around, like it or not, he'll forced to run on his record and hopey-changey won't fly. Newt will also run on his record. It's a no brainer.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:58 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,837,916 times
I loved Newt in 1994. I was a big believer in his contract with America, He especially won me over when he said welfare moms should be forced to send their children to orphanages. Ever since then he has been one of my favorite politicians. However that all changed when he took the side of the liberal Republican in NY-23 over the true conservative.

Newt seems to think that a candidate should get elected simply because they have an (R) in front of their name even if they don't have conservative values. I could not disagree more. Because of the way he handled NY-23 Newt fell from one of my favorites to one of my worst politicians. I hope he doesn't run for President and if he does I will vote against him in the primary.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:02 PM

168 posts, read 484,146 times
Default The Congress shall have Power To...borrow money on the credit of the United States...

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The Contract with America was pivotal and historic. Bottom line is that after we shut down the federal government twice (once late in 1995 and again in early 1996) the Congress was able to force Clinton to agree to spending cuts that made Pay-go workable. The tax cuts spurred growth and brought us to a balanced budget years before it was anticipated. BO doesn't have the luxury of a thin resume and correct pigmentation. next time around, like it or not, he'll forced to run on his record and hopey-changey won't fly. Newt will also run on his record. It's a no brainer.
I am an independent and do not like nor support either party. I see them both as the opportunists that they are as they hand out token morsels of small thanks to their constituency once they are put in power. This nation has become a joke for all of the reasons as I have outlined in my previous post.

After I read your response, I searched feverishly with great enthusiasm hoping to find any citation in the history books that IT was the FEDERAL BUREAUCRACY and its resulting actions that ACTUALLY spurred the growth in the US economy in the 90's. I cannot find such a source. Do I need to buy one of Newt Gingrich's books to find that? The idea that any politician or a group of politicians could or even would save this once great nation is preposterous. The dot.com boom of the 90's largely fueled the economy and the stock market until it started to go bust in 1999.

The Contract with America was just another of many political stunts of our time, likened to "No new taxes." In relation to recent memory, there was Reagan's Inaugural Address in 1981 where he promised that America would stop living beyond its means and then went on to use his legislative pen to effectively triple the nation's debt from $930 billion the day he took office to roughly $2.7 trillion dollars the day he left. In 1985, there was the Gramm-Rudman Act designed to nail the deficit. It was largely ignored and diluted over time. PAYGO arose out of OBRA-90, aka the 1990 Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act. That was a fizzler only to be picked up by Gingrich while in office after 1994. The Contract with America contained many tenets, many of which failed in the Congress or failed to pass in the Senate.

To demonstrate how historically laughable the Contract with America was in perspective, one need only look at the demise of the Fiscal Responsibility Act advanced by GINGRICH. This bill passed the House (thus artificially making Newt look strong and vibrant) and suffered a defeat in the Senate. On the surface, one might say the Democrats stopped it which, they did. Of notable exception is that two of the votes that joined to kill the bill came from two prominent Republican senators, Bob Dole (R-KS) and Hatfield (R-OR). Even funnier is how Dole was the Senate Majority Leader and would be the Republican nominee for president only a year later. Seems to me that someone didn't get the memo on the Contract with America.

U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote

As for GINGRICH and the Republican congress producing a "balanced budget years before it was anticipated", can you point out the year or years that this happened based on the US annual deficit/debt chart below (the link for this treasury government data is cited in my previous post)? There has been no surplus or BALANCED SPENDING in the US BUDGET for decades. In each successive year since Clinton took office, there has ALWAYS been a deficit. Without the help of congress, it is impossible for the President alone to incur spending without prior approval. I can show you a draft of a budget that will make America debt free in 20 years but it doesn't mean jack unless the congress and the president sign off on it. The government NEVER intends to pay back this debt as it will linger on the books and accumulate interest for many decades to come. The government approach is to INFLATE their way out of the punitive costs of the debt over time but its not working at the moment. I'll spare the details of the spendthrift TEAM OBUSH administration for another post even though I have conveniently added those embarrassing figures below.

TOTAL UNITED STATES DEBT by FISCAL YEAR

Date - - - - - - Dollar Amount
(FIGURES DO NOT INCLUDE TARP)
09/30/2008 - - 10,024,724,896,912.49
09/30/2007 - - 9,007,653,372,262.48
09/30/2006 - - 8,506,973,899,215.23
09/30/2005 - - 7,932,709,661,723.50
09/30/2004 - - 7,379,052,696,330.32
09/30/2003 - - 6,783,231,062,743.62
09/30/2002 - - 6,228,235,965,597.16
09/30/2001 - - 5,807,463,412,200.06
09/30/2000 - - 5,674,178,209,886.86
09/30/1999 - - 5,656,270,901,615.43
09/30/1998 - - 5,526,193,008,897.62
09/30/1997 - - 5,413,146,011,397.34
09/30/1996 - - 5,224,810,939,135.73
09/29/1995 - - 4,973,982,900,709.39
09/30/1994 - - 4,692,749,910,013.32
09/30/1993 - - 4,411,488,883,139.38

Lastly, BO was NOT elected because of his "hopey-changey" message. He was elected DIRECTLY because of TEAM OBUSH. As late as the 2004 elections, it was the Republican party gloating and rejoicing that liberalism was dead and that they were invincible and unbeatable. Once TEAM OBUSH was re-elected, they set out with the underlying agenda of their preplanned two-term administration by essentially pillaging the treasury for all it was worth. By the time the elections rolled around in 2008, TEAM OBUSH had done such an unbelievably DELIBERATE job of destroying its own party that even Nancy Pelosi could have been elected president with Ted Kennedy as her running mate. The 2008 election was not a vote of confidence so much for OBAMA as it was more of a vote AGAINST TEAM OBUSH.

Moreover, lest we forget, with roughly 60 days to go prior to the election it was TEAM OBUSH that fully deep-sixed McCain/Palin's chances of victory, that is, if any potential ever actually existed. BUSH himself made the announcement that the ECONOMY was tanked and the last hurrah would be the $700 billion dollar TARP request. Paulson, Bernanke, and the lightweight nobody from OFHEO (now FHFA) solely testified before the house and senate of the urgency for the TARP money or the economy could "fail." No opposing testimony was offered nor entertained by the Congress. The original precept of the TARP was that the treasury secretary would use the money to buy TOXIC assets via auctions so that banks would have money to start lending again. One other primary tenet included that $350 billion, or half, of the TARP would be available right away and the balance would become available at the end of January 2009, when a new president was in power. Both democrats and republicans, including the entirety of the 3% of the US Senate that was vying for an executive branch vacancy, supported and passed the measure. The democrats supported the TARP because they knew that the other $350 billion would be available in the next administration when a democrat would be in power. How could the democrats NOT know in advance? McCain's poll numbers went south after the TEAM OBUSH 'ECONO-HOSTAGE' announcement. McCain never played to win during his campaign. Even when he had a chance to score he simply chose not to, but it was TEAM OBUSH that all but guaranteed that McCain would NOT become president. Lastly, two weeks after the TARP passed, treasury secretary Paulson decided not to buy toxic assets and instead used the money to hand out to the banks which was most likely the plan all along. In other words, if Paulson had simply told the congress he wanted to give billions to banks, they knew that the TARP would not pass. TEAM OBUSH had been sitting on this massive economic powder keg for at least a year before deciding to play it 60 days before the election. The TARP measure was a final encore to a self-serving administration that hurt the republican party to no end. The democrats, over time, will falter the same way. The health care bill, whether it passes or not, should be enough to give the house and maybe the senate back to the republicans. With the real lousy leadership I see from both parties, including Gingrich, most responsible Americans are happy with full divided government as NEITHER party has demonstrated the mature leadership and sacrifice needed to make this nation whole again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies