Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 04:38 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,652,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
You really should call it Fox and not Fox News. It is not news as there is no genuine journalism and reporting of fair and balanced news.

In fact, I just signed a petition at the
MoveOn.org Civic Action: Unfair and Unbalanced

The FCC will be doing their review soon and people are now emailing them to insist that Fox stop falsley labeling themselves as a legit news media, as they are not.
MoveOn.org-------now that's a fair and balanced source----not! You folks are blind to your own hypocrisy.

Question--will MoveOn assist Soros in the next round of confiscating private property, in the manner he assisted the Nazis? Keep following this kind of "source", and you will be accomplice to the same crimes. You have blindly followed well, thus far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 04:51 AM

2,730 posts, read 2,476,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sign View Post
I agree to some extent.
The manner in which most "news" channels deliver their "news" often is delivered in some form of "entertaining" way.......often, through shock and awe communication and teasers.
But, since ratings ARE what they seek......this should be expected but, IMO.....it lessens the credibility and integrity of the media outlet, in question and has nothing to do with being fair or balanced.
There is NO such thing as a "news" channel that IS 100% "fair and balanced" and especially since it would be in the eyes of the beholder.....like beauty.
But, IMHO......FOX News..........reports the most on topics that I....and many others apparently, find to be far more fair and balanced than all the others.
To each....their own....right?
What do you think about the confessions of Fox's CEO? Did you watch the video? Or do you ignore EVIDENCE like that?

News in my country are presented in a boring and dry way, no comments. Only stating the facts.
For the average American that sounds boring, because you seem to be very addicted to entertainment.

Also, did Fox report on the Haliburton case and if yes, what was their opinion about that?

Old 10-22-2009, 04:57 AM

299 posts, read 638,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Anyone who restricts his news input solely to one TV network isn't exactly opening up his brain and his mind.
This is so very true that I can't believe anyone would only watch one news station and think they were getting the whole story. I watch CNN, FOX, MSNBC and our local affiliates for the big three. None of them are fair and balanced, whether it's their opinions or their news stories. In 2000, all of them were pushing for Bush to be elected, even the ones that so many complain about being too liberal. It took several years before they would comment on any of the mistakes that were being made in his administration. Instead of the war in Iraq in 2003, we had nightly updates on Laci Peterson's upcoming trial and subsequent trial throughout the year and into the following year. What were they hiding? The real truth about the war IMO. Nobody talked about the troops that were dying. In order to get the truth, you had to do research on your own on the internet and try to find unbiased sources, not an easy feat at any time. Yet, that is still true today.

Fox & Friends never mentioned the fact that W took 3 months to decide on whether to go forward with the surge but they talk about Obama's decision as if it should have been made the minute the suggestion was out of McChrystal's mouth. I am happy that our current President is taking his time to decide on the future of 40k of our young men and women in the armed forces. Their lives are precious and should be treated as such.

I consider myself to be fairly conservative although I agree with some of the policies of both Democrats and Republicans. Until the people of this country start to think for themselves, instead of letting overpaid newscasters and so called journalists do it for you, things will never change. Anybody who believes anything they hear on any lone station is guilty of having their head in the sand and being brainwashed, including those who watch FOX.

Last edited by AKR27540; 10-22-2009 at 05:29 AM..

Old 10-22-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKR27540 View Post
This is so very true that I can't believe anyone would only watch one news station and think they were getting the whole story. I watch CNN, FOX, MSNBC and our local affiliates for the the big three. None of them are fair and balanced, whether it's their opinions or their news stories. In 2000, all of them were pushing for Bush to be elected, even the ones that so many complain about being too liberal. It took several years before they would comment on any of the mistakes that were being made in his administration. Instead of the war in Iraq in 2003, we had nightly updates on Laci Peterson's upcoming trial and subsequent trial throughout the year and into the following year. What were they hiding? The real truth about the war IMO. Nobody talked about the troops that were dying. In order to get the truth, you had to do research on your own on the internet and try to find unbiased sources, not an easy feat at any time. Yet, that is still true today.

Fox & Friends never mentioned the fact that W took 3 months to decide on whether to go forward with the surge but they talk about Obama's decision as if it should have been made the minute the suggestion was out of McChrystal's mouth. I am happy that our current President is taking his time to decide on the future of 40k of our young men and women in the armed forces. Their lives are precious and should be treated as such.

I consider myself to be fairly conservative although I agree with some of the policies of both Democrats and Republicans. Until the people of this country start to think for themselves, instead of letting overpaid newscasters and so called journalists do it for you, things will never change. Anybody who believes anything they hear on any station is guilty of having their head in the sand and being brainwashed, including those who watch FOX.
Great Post. I like to hear more from conservatives that seem rational like you.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:13 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,962,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
What do you think about the confessions of Fox's CEO? Did you watch the video? Or do you ignore EVIDENCE like that?

News in my country are presented in a boring and dry way, no comments. Only stating the facts.
For the average American that sounds boring, because you seem to be very addicted to entertainment.

Also, did Fox report on the Haliburton case and if yes, what was their opinion about that?
"News" in YOUR country is NOT necessarily something that THIS country should set IT'S standards to, from what you say about them.
In YOUR country the "News"....ONLY states FACT?
I find this a bit scary.....if you BELIEVE it to be......and I, DOUBT it!
I watched the video.
Big deal!
Call it manipulation if YOU wish......but even so, THIS CEO ADMITTED something that I doubt ANY CEO from other media news orgs. would NEVER do....if in fact, there was a breach of truth and any manipulation!
Even if true......the other networks are equally guilty and THEIR CEO's would NEVER admit ANY wrongdoing.
FOX RULES and CNN......DROOLS!!!

Old 10-22-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sign View Post
"News" in YOUR country is NOT necessarily something that THIS country should set IT'S standards to, from what you say about them.
In YOUR country the "News"....ONLY states FACT?
I find this a bit scary.....if you BELIEVE it to be......and I, DOUBT it!
I watched the video.
Big deal!
Call it manipulation if YOU wish......but even so, THIS CEO ADMITTED something that I doubt ANY CEO from other media news orgs. would NEVER do....if in fact, there was a breach of truth and any manipulation!
Even if true......the other networks are equally guilty and THEIR CEO's would NEVER admit ANY wrongdoing.
FOX RULES and CNN......DROOLS!!!
I find your standards pretty scary. And scary that you think that every news media is biased like Fox. Many in the US are, but with the Internet you have access to every news media you want. You could check british, australian or any media that uses your language.
"Call it manipulation if yu wish" ???? The CEO admitted it. I don't have to call it anything. It is out there and it is true.

And yes, the major news channel in my country states facts, you should check it out (though you wouldn't because you don't speak my language).
One example: My country is involved in the Afghanistan war, the news never state whether we should be in Afghanistan or not. They only tell us
what happened there, how many soldiers died, and so on.

There are political debates, however, similar to a political talk, BUT they always include members of opposing parties and the moderator is neutral.
I have never heard a news anchorman or a moderator bashing a politician.
So, in every political talk the viewer hears opposing opinions instead of being brainwashed by the commentator/moderator.

I bet that is due to the fact that the country I live in was once a fascist country and every sight of manipulation is condemned very quickly, and it should.

But if you are happy with Fox because it caters to your views and you don't have to question conservatives, and it does cater to your hate against what you call Lefties than be happy with it. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.
But I am also sure that there are Republicans that don't like Fox news and see through their manipulation.
Ask Ron Paul

Old 10-22-2009, 06:39 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,389,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
The person I replied to said, for 8 years (during the Bush presidency). and 2007 WAS during the Bush presidency.

You can go back to sleep now since you weren't paying attention!
not a bad quip. it's on now

Old 10-22-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
I find your standards pretty scary. And scary that you think that every news media is biased like Fox. Many in the US are, but with the Internet you have access to every news media you want. You could check british, australian or any media that uses your language.
"Call it manipulation if yu wish" ???? The CEO admitted it. I don't have to call it anything. It is out there and it is true.

And yes, the major news channel in my country states facts, you should check it out (though you wouldn't because you don't speak my language).
One example: My country is involved in the Afghanistan war, the news never state whether we should be in Afghanistan or not. They only tell us
what happened there, how many soldiers died, and so on.

There are political debates, however, similar to a political talk, BUT they always include members of opposing parties and the moderator is neutral.
I have never heard a news anchorman or a moderator bashing a politician.
So, in every political talk the viewer hears opposing opinions instead of being brainwashed by the commentator/moderator.

I bet that is due to the fact that the country I live in was once a fascist country and every sight of manipulation is condemned very quickly, and it should.

But if you are happy with Fox because it caters to your views and you don't have to question conservatives, and it does cater to your hate against what you call Lefties than be happy with it. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.
But I am also sure that there are Republicans that don't like Fox news and see through their manipulation.
Ask Ron Paul

IMO.....there's nothing wrong with having reporters comment and/or express some personal feelings of a story......esp. IF the network format calls for it.
But FACTUAL reporting IS important......I just believe that MOST media in the US does NOT report truthfully, in most cases and......who really knows what is being completely ommitted that IS definitely, newsworthy?
If nothing else.......there's always a good laugh to be found in "seeing the other side's perspective" though.
This all may well include some of what's on FOX too......so, I do believe its good to develop your OWN opinion by utilizing multiple media sources.
AND....I do see "opposing views" on Fox News as well, other times I don't because THAT opposing guest either doesn't show up.....or makes an idiot of him/herself and is no longer welcome back.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:01 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,784,350 times
As I stated earlier, the tactic Fox supporters always use is "Look! They're bias too!"

Nobody distorts reality as much as Fox. The stories they choose to ignore and the way they choose to cover certain stories (or manipulate stories) is fundamentally unethical.

The owner of Fox flat out admitted they promoted the Bush agenda and, no, CNN would definitely not ever admit that they do the same for liberals because they don't. CNN has kept some degree of journalistic integrity. Fox should not be able to call itself news.

I like the phrase "Pundit commentary" or something to describe their role (which is important to be there in the public discourse).

"Fox Punditry - unfair, unbalanced, and proud of it." I could live with that. At least they'd be honest.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
As I stated earlier, the tactic Fox supporters always use is "Look! They're bias too!"

Nobody distorts reality as much as Fox. The stories they choose to ignore and the way they choose to cover certain stories (or manipulate stories) is fundamentally unethical.

The owner of Fox flat out admitted they promoted the Bush agenda and, no, CNN would definitely not ever admit that they do the same for liberals because they don't. CNN has kept some degree of journalistic integrity. Fox should not be able to call itself news.

I like the phrase "Pundit commentary" or something to describe their role (which is important to be there in the public discourse).

"Fox Punditry - unfair, unbalanced, and proud of it." I could live with that. At least they'd be honest.
Nobody AVOIDS reality like all the others!
OK. Not true.......they don't avoid the reality that Michael Jackson is dead already.
But, if FOX ever truly promoted Bush's agenda, I don't really know because I didn't watch Fox News then.
Bush's agenda SUCKED......but this administration's agenda does too, just a little bit more.
Hope all you Dems. are happy.......your idea of "fundamental change" is only an extension of Bush policy......on steroids.
Add his association with the likes of ACORN, SEIU, Van Jones and numerous other radicals who idolize Mao and yeah......I would say it's on hyper-warp speed into the abyss now.....for America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies