Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2009, 10:17 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,735,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Why do mainstream liberals hate freedom of speech?

Why do average democrats think it is well within reason for Obama and team to attack a news organization and at the very least appear to be violate the first amendment?

When mainstream liberals were very angry at the notion that Nixon had an enemies list and considered it a constitutional violation, today they see the same thing as perfectly fine.

We aren’t talking about far left extremists. We are talking about your average run of the mill liberal.
So it's perfectly within the first amendment rights of a private organization to create and spread lies about an individual, but it's not alright for that individual to defend himself and fight back?

Okay then... "freedom to distort facts for people who think like me!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 10:24 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,957,047 times
Quote:
People can hate fox all they want and rant away about it. It doesnt bother me at all.

It is the only TV news I will listen to, but it certainly isnt the only news outlet that I source.

My big issue is this action by the Obama adminstration to attack fox.

I dont understand how any American liberal or otherwise can stomach such an action.
It just shows many of us that FOX is the only network that EXPOSES what's going on........CONSTANTLY and to the point, where anyone can see for themselves at any time day or night.
This exposure has enlightened a LOT of folks and given them a good look at what's going on and WHO the players are that the WH and this admin. are in cahoots with and their radical agenda, and VERY HOPEFUL success at "fundamentally transforming America" at all costs!
Obama HATES this exposure and its sooooo obvious!
And since its obvious that he does.........it only further diminishes HIS credibility and that of EVERY OTHER.........media organization, as a result!
On top of that......it ALSO....makes ME believe that EVERYTHING FOX News exposes....IS truthful and fact, otherwise, this administration wouldn't publicy acknowledge its resentment of Fox to the point they have!
THIS.......IS WHAT really worries many of us!
NOW......they (Libs/ Dems/media, this admin.) REALLY look bad and so do all the rest of the blatantly, BIASED, LEFT-wing media who refuse to speak up in protest (like Fox)....or are as much in with this admin/Libs voluntarilty w/o any coercion.....or do they fear it so much, they just choose to remain eerily quiet and choose NOT to "investigate" or "expose" ANYTHING the govt. does?
FOX and GB sure's Hell...... aren't gonna be quiet or scared to conform like them!

Old 10-21-2009, 10:27 AM

20,496 posts, read 12,432,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
So it's perfectly within the first amendment rights of a private organization to create and spread lies about an individual, but it's not alright for that individual to defend himself and fight back?

Okay then... "freedom to distort facts for people who think like me!"
First of all, the press is simply free. Period.

You have every right to say you don’t like fox. The president has every right to take issue with a comment he does not agree with.

However, as president, every word he says, and the words of his surrogates carry the full force of the executive branch of the U. S. Government. It carries the legal authority extended by the constitution. That includes the office of the attorney general and the FBI. When the president makes comments that carry threats (as he as done with foxnews). These things are defacto implied.

Additionally he and his surrogates have stated that other news agencies should not follow fox and intimated there would be consequences.

THIS is walking up to the constitutional line. It is NEVER acceptable to do this ever by any president and if GWB or Ronald Reagan did it I would be just as angry.

Presidents don’t ever get to decide what news is “good” and what news is “bad”. They can disagree and state such but they cannot ever offer threats veiled or blatant where the press is concerned.

As a liberal, you ought to be appalled that one of yours has crossed this line.

I am certainly appalled that none of your side seems bothered by such an open attack on one of our most sacred freedoms.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:42 AM

429 posts, read 1,118,221 times
Quote:

You have every right to say you don’t like fox. The president has every right to take issue with a comment he does not agree with.

However, as president, every word he says, and the words of his surrogates carry the full force of the executive branch of the U. S. Government. It carries the legal authority extended by the constitution. That includes the office of the attorney general and the FBI. When the president makes comments that carry threats (as he as done with foxnews). These things are defacto implied.

Additionally he and his surrogates have stated that other news agencies should not follow fox and intimated there would be consequences.

THIS is walking up to the constitutional line. It is NEVER acceptable to do this ever by any president and if GWB or Ronald Reagan did it I would be just as angry.

Presidents don’t ever get to decide what news is “good” and what news is “bad”. They can disagree and state such but they cannot ever offer threats veiled or blatant where the press is concerned.

I am certainly appalled that none of your side seems bothered by such an open attack on one of our most sacred freedoms.
I agree 100%

Old 10-21-2009, 11:00 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,603,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
This is for good reason....all truth and fair and balanced.
They report everything!!!!!!!!!! Sorry CNN
well then that means theyre the main stream media, doesnt it? now the repugs cant complain about the liberal ms media is biased

Old 10-21-2009, 11:44 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,735,935 times
Quote:

1. I'm not a liberal

2. Can you point to specific legislation proposed that will make this anything more than just a little verbal tit for tat between two powerful organizations? You're extrapolating some legal authority that a simple comment that Fox News is lying does not possess.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:51 AM

9,613 posts, read 9,924,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imalert View Post
Fox news has reported more false stories than any other media.

Do your research before calling me or anyone else on these forums stupid.
Fox News Corrects False Claims About Gay Obama Education Adviser — Will Hannity Do The Same? | The Plum Line

Fox News Correction: False Claims About Kevin Jennings

BTW, maybe you enjoy feeding into that false media.
Maybe you should do the research. You quote two "false" stories, then you claim "Fox news has reported more false stories than any other media."

Ever?

You are saying in the history of media, that Fox has had more false stories than ANY other media.

Please do your research and get back to us, then maybe we will see some credibility in your posts.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:57 AM

9,613 posts, read 9,924,212 times
Quote:
1. I'm not a liberal

2. Can you point to specific legislation proposed that will make this anything more than just a little verbal tit for tat between two powerful organizations? You're extrapolating some legal authority that a simple comment that Fox News is lying does not possess.
Informed people like yourself will just see this as what it really is currently, a tit for tat.

What does the average American see when the President of the United States and his most SENIOR advisors taunt and make negative comments about a news organization. Most Americans trust what the president says as gospel. So where are we now?

Could all this tit for tat have harmful financial results on the Fox News Network...could it possibly lead to other networks afraid to speak out against the Gov't even though they find evidence against the government?

Old 10-21-2009, 11:57 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,977,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
just to clarify a couple of things: 1-Ron Paul isn't a conservative and 2-no one ever said O'Reilly wasn't rude (yes, he can be) but he is fair.

Or were you referring to O'Reilly as being conservative? He is certainly right of middle, but most true conservatives would not put him in that catagory. I guess, not living in our country and not watching our programs you are basing your views on hear say, right?

Nita
ron Paul is not a conservative??? Are you kidding me? Ron Paul is the classic conservative. Small government, foreign intervention only when attacked, no entitlement programs. You really can't get more conservative than Ron Paul. OMG.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:05 PM

20,496 posts, read 12,432,966 times
Quote:
1. I'm not a liberal

1. If you aren’t a liberal you do a great impersonation
2. As I have already stated, the Executive branch is in question. Executive Branch doesn’t pass legislation. The executive branch HAS however made it painfully obvious that Foxnews is the enemy and that their news organization should not be followed by others. They have made it quite clear that any news outlet that follows stories that fox is covering will be persona non-grata.

ADDITIONALLY when the Executive branch makes such statements, they carry the full force of the Executive power which includes a veiled threat to use the FBI and the Atty. Generals office to enforce their view.

When you take into consideration previous comments by an FCC executive that points to Hugo Chavez’s shutting down opposition radio, the Obama teams attack on Foxnews is very troubling and every single American ought to be outraged.

If you aren’t then I have to conclude something is wrong with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies