Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2009, 12:10 PM

20,504 posts, read 12,472,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
ron Paul is not a conservative??? Are you kidding me? Ron Paul is the classic conservative. Small government, foreign intervention only when attacked, no entitlement programs. You really can't get more conservative than Ron Paul. OMG.
he is a conservative and he is wrong about the gold standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 12:14 PM

737 posts, read 1,181,397 times
As a left-of-center person I think Fox News is important because it can make some people think harder (seriously). When I first started paying attention to news it was through Fox News with O'Reilly and Hannity and Colmes. When watching I knew they were trying to include conservative spin on stories. It is always knocking down the Democrats and building up the Republicans. So obviously those shows are commentary driven news stories. When a story starts with (paraphrasing here) "Something bad happens, why is it Al Gores fault?" its clearly a punditry channel. The host could have just said "Something bad happens." The only negative stories about Republicans have been ones Fox News couldn't ignore. Foley and Sanford for examble, and even at that point Fox labeled them as Democrats so maybe they could catch a few people who were watching TV in a barbershop where the volume is low. As for the arguement "wahh MSNBC has 3 liberal hosts wahh" well guess what? As Bill O'Reilly says "Bad Behavior doesn't justify bad behavior" and there are some good hosts on Fox News. Sheppard Smith is a great reporter and host, he may be personally conservative but he doesn't do the same crap as the other hosts.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:20 PM

429 posts, read 1,119,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPerson09 View Post
and there are some good hosts on Fox News. Sheppard Smith is a great reporter and host, he may be personally conservative but he doesn't do the same crap as the other hosts.
yes, so much. yes. i totally respect him. too bad no one outside of Fox News' base knows about him. Probably because they're too busy bashing a channel they refuse to watch.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:33 PM

24,558 posts, read 33,486,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imalert View Post
Fox News is a joke.

It is nothing but a clone of the Jerry Springer Show.
Everyting that this news broadcast is nothing but false entertainment.
Because it's not a leftist station, it's a "joke," right?

Old 10-21-2009, 01:36 PM

24,558 posts, read 33,486,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPerson09 View Post
As a left-of-center person I think Fox News is important because it can make some people think harder (seriously). When I first started paying attention to news it was through Fox News with O'Reilly and Hannity and Colmes. When watching I knew they were trying to include conservative spin on stories. It is always knocking down the Democrats and building up the Republicans. So obviously those shows are commentary driven news stories. When a story starts with (paraphrasing here) "Something bad happens, why is it Al Gores fault?" its clearly a punditry channel. The host could have just said "Something bad happens." The only negative stories about Republicans have been ones Fox News couldn't ignore. Foley and Sanford for examble, and even at that point Fox labeled them as Democrats so maybe they could catch a few people who were watching TV in a barbershop where the volume is low. As for the arguement "wahh MSNBC has 3 liberal hosts wahh" well guess what? As Bill O'Reilly says "Bad Behavior doesn't justify bad behavior" and there are some good hosts on Fox News. Sheppard Smith is a great reporter and host, he may be personally conservative but he doesn't do the same crap as the other hosts.
O'Reilly does not include a "conservative spin" on his stories and is not "always knocking down" Democrats.

And as studies have shown, there are negative stories on Fox News about Republicans.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:59 PM

2,243 posts, read 1,395,345 times
What consequences did the President and his surrogates outline if other news channels follow Fox's lead? I'm not aware of any.
All this bickering is ridiculous. Fox slants right, everyone else slants left. Well, CNN slants toward minorities and "the downtrodden". Every once in a while you'll actually get some inkling of what is going on in the world from any of these channels. Best bet is to get your news from many and varied sources. Watch and listen to them all. Then form your own opinions. But I do find it disconcerting for the President to be so vehement in his distrust of Fox. It doesn't seem presidential somehow.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:04 PM

20,504 posts, read 12,472,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
What consequences did the President and his surrogates outline if other news channels follow Fox's lead? I'm not aware of any.
All this bickering is ridiculous. Fox slants right, everyone else slants left. Well, CNN slants toward minorities and "the downtrodden". Every once in a while you'll actually get some inkling of what is going on in the world from any of these channels. Best bet is to get your news from many and varied sources. Watch and listen to them all. Then form your own opinions. But I do find it disconcerting for the President to be so vehement in his distrust of Fox. It doesn't seem presidential somehow.
It was quite clear that the Whitehouse is saying that any other news outlet that follows some of the stories followed by Fox, that the Whitehouse will treat those other news outlets as they do Fox.

They do not go on fox. They are attempting to isolate fox.

There is clear indication that Obama and company are doing their best to sideline fox's access and to treat them in a way that leaves them out when it comes to real news.

There is also an implied attack that fox should be "on notice" that what they say may be under scrutiny by the Executive branch.

You don’t get to do this if you are president. Liberals were wildly up in arms over Nixon's "enemies list" and rightfully so. This is no different.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:20 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,767,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sign View Post
Because it isn't presidential and it shows the world HIS distrust of anything and anyone that might just expose more of him and his minions' backgrounds.......and reveal even more TRUTH of WHAT just might be their goals and ultimate agenda in their "fundamental transformation" of this country!!
From what many KNOW and feel now........far too much radical, far too LEFT. Far too creepy.
Personally, I believe if the American public KNEW as much about BO as they do NOW, back during his campaign.......he would probably NOT even be our POTUS today.
Guess it depends on which poll you believe.

Jesus, you people must be scared of your own shadows. You certainly have no concept of history. What's happening is pretty conventional Democratic policy and, frankly, what is needed after 30 years of conservative rule went too far.

I think it's a smart tactic. Look how Bush withdrew inside the Beltway and let the media and his opponents control the direction of political discourse and policy.

Bush ended up failing miserably as president and losing all political capital. To keep on the opposition and maintain even footing so as to not lose control of the message or direction is very wise for any presidency.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:23 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,767,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
O'Reilly does not include a "conservative spin" on his stories and is not "always knocking down" Democrats.

And as studies have shown, there are negative stories on Fox News about Republicans.
Come on, are you serious?

I respect O'Reilly, but to suggest there's no conservative spin is pretty naive.

Just look at how differently he treated Britney Spears' sister when she got pregnant as a teen as opposed to Palin's daughter.

It's pretty hard to not see the spin.

I think "punidtry channel" is a great named (suggested above) for what Fox is. They should just drop the facade of news and become a channel devoted to commenting on the day's events. That's where their ratings are anyway (and Shepard Smith is quite respectable).

Old 10-21-2009, 02:25 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,959,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
"Downtrodden"......LMAO
Funny.

BTW....it doesn't seem very presidential to me either. He seems a bit paranoid and very irritated of FOX News, now that he and his minion's agenda has REALLY been exposed and more people than ever are TUNING IN to them!
Just something it would "appear" to be.
He wouldn't HATE free speech now.....would he?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies