Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 06:24 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,932,670 times

Advertisements

These numbers are truly astounding. The incentive to NOT work hard, to NOT have the ambition to improve your status, to NOT strive to better your economic position is all there in obamacare.

ObamaCare's Tax on Work - WSJ.com

Quote:
Think about a family of four earning $42,000 in 2016, which is between 150% and 200% of the federal poverty level. CBO says a mid-level "silver" plan will cost about $14,700 in premiums, of which the family will pay $2,600—since the government would pay the other $12,100. If the family breadwinner (or breadwinners, because the subsidies are based on combined gross income) then gets a raise or works overtime and wages rise to $54,000, the subsidy drops to $9,900. That amounts to an implicit 34% tax on each additional dollar of income.

As CBO noted in a July health brief, "Higher [marginal] tax rates also reduce people's incentive to raise their income in other ways, such as working harder in the hope of winning raises; accepting new positions or responsibilities with higher compensation; or investing in their future earning capacity through education, training or other means."
What are they thinking??

This seems to be another trojan horse to single payer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 06:31 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
I do not care what kind of hourse is ridden so long as we wind up with a single payer universal health care system paid for with a truly progressive income tax that includes a $150,000 basic deduction.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:38 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,978 times
Right now, part of what drives me to succeed is knowing that if I bust my ass and get a nice big raise, I can count on 60% of that (give-or-take) to wind up in my pocket. I can make a better life for my family with the money that I earn. Of course, if the government finds it prudent to take away an extra 34% of my raise, where is the incentive for me to work harder?

Health care is earned. It is not a right.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:43 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,302,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Right now, part of what drives me to succeed is knowing that if I bust my ass and get a nice big raise, I can count on 60% of that (give-or-take) to wind up in my pocket. I can make a better life for my family with the money that I earn. Of course, if the government finds it prudent to take away an extra 34% of my raise, where is the incentive for me to work harder?

Thank you.

Yes, it is NOT A RIGHT as some believe.

What is it with people who want a freebie handout from others? actually stealing from them so they can have something for nothing.

GET A DAMN JOB AND PAY FOR YOUR OWN HEALTH CARE.

You can work 8 hours a day to feed, house and clothe your family.
Then you can work another 8 hours a day to pay for your own healthcare.

Its called earning it. Many of us have earned or are earning it so why should others not earn it.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:56 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Well here is where people like you and people like me vehemently disagree. I would fight wars over this issue. Health Care is a human right. I hope whatever gets passed leads to single-payer eventually. Maybe then we can relax some and not be tied to mediocre jobs just for the health insurance (ie, the rejuvination of freedom and creativity in business).

Old 10-19-2009, 10:09 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Thank you.

Yes, it is NOT A RIGHT as some believe.

What is it with people who want a freebie handout from others? actually stealing from them so they can have something for nothing.

GET A DAMN JOB AND PAY FOR YOUR OWN HEALTH CARE.

You can work 8 hours a day to feed, house and clothe your family.
Then you can work another 8 hours a day to pay for your own healthcare.

Its called earning it. Many of us have earned or are earning it so why should others not earn it.
OMFG!!! This is ridiculous. Healthcare is a RIGHT. You have the RIGHT to be healthy in the United States.

This is absurd that we have the WORST healthcare in the western world. Universal healthcare doesn't mean the end of ambition. My cousin in Paris is working VERY hard. In fact, being a lawyer for a prestigious firm means 50-60 hour weeks and frequent trips abroad. My other cousin, also in Paris, is excited about opening up a daycare facility. Not an easy feat.

Healthcare costs have gotten out of hand. My family saw the horrors of working more than full time...and yet still not having enough to pay for healthcare. My sister in law had cancer. It was nearly terminal. They went over their limit. Thus, a portion was out of pocket. The payments were outrageous. Fortunately, it was only a few grand. This was only because she beat the cancer. Had the fight continued on even a month more...the costs would have bankrupt them.

Being healthy is a right. It's un-American to think any less...

Old 10-19-2009, 10:32 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,864,597 times
Healthcare is a RIGHT?

Can someone explain exactly how this 'right' works?

Old 10-19-2009, 10:45 AM

39,865 posts, read 26,489,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Healthcare is a RIGHT?

According to some, EVERY desire they have is a right they are entitled to, and working people are entitled to pay for them....

Old 10-19-2009, 10:46 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Healthcare is a RIGHT?

We have the RIGHT to be healthy in the US. The undeniable rights of "Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness" as written in the Declaration of Independence.

We deny "life" at times to those with pre-exsisting conditions or the inablity to pay. We force people into wage slavery due to high healthcare costs, thus they have little "liberty". Well, this all doesn't bode well for the "pursuit of happiness".

Currently this right is VERY limited.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:50 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,864,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
We have the RIGHT to be healthy in the US. The undeniable rights of "Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness" as written in the Declaration of Independence.
Again how does that equate to a person having the right to healthcare???

Quote:
We deny "life" at times to those with pre-exsisting conditions or the inablity to pay.
No we don't.
Quote:
We force people into wage slavery due to high healthcare costs, thus they have little "liberty".
That is a choice,you can choose otherwise.

How would you get this right to healthcare?
Where would it come from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies