Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 09:11 AM

769 posts, read 1,017,180 times

Advertisements

who cares about actors? they a small fish, the big ones who own media empires are the ones you should look out for... ie rupert murdoch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 09:46 AM

23,745 posts, read 17,421,552 times
Add the empire state building to that boycott list!

They lit up red and yellow to honor 60 years of communism in China.

Tell everyone you know. No class trips to the ESB!

Old 09-26-2011, 10:15 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,990,392 times
Why does anyone have to listen to what an actor says. Why can't they just turn the channel or quit reading. I mean it is not like these people are coming over to your house and holding a gun to your head.

However, if you don't want watch their movies etc. That is your decision.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:44 AM

14,490 posts, read 26,668,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I've boycotted Hollywood for years. Their political musings are jokes to most of us but what I resent is most of them seem to be a bunch of drug-sucking fools who have no morals. Been that way a long time. Not getting any better.

We only go to about 4-6 movies a year, whereas 20 years ago we were going once a week. Most movies suck these days.

Further, the late Jack Valenti, Hollywood's lobbyist in DC for decades, successfully lobbied and won tax exemptions and accounting rules which generally assure no studio ever pays any taxes, no matter how much money a movie takes in.

Don't even get me started on Disney, the greediest bunch of people in the business.
Red Box 1.00 a pop DVD, cant beat it. Why go to a dirty theatre filled with yahoos

I agree most movies are dreck and why the hell do they keep making movies about cartoon characters (Hellboy, etc) beyond stupid.

The big studios pay no tax, wow...need to teach some of the far right here that corps are raping the public blind.

I lived in S Florida 10 yrs and never once went to Disney- its cheap pre-fab capitalism run rampant- they pay the illegals there trash wages, kind of like the same as at The Polynesian Village in Oahu, the natives that work there are paid very little. But at least in Hawa'ii they teach you history of the Maoris and other settlers, you are actually getting an education, they dont sell scads of cheap plastic souveniers: (unlike disney incorporated)

Old 09-26-2011, 11:49 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,505,569 times
Whether it be a Hollywoodweird actor or actress, or sports star, musician, or comedy star, does not matter to me, have an opinion ok, that is acceptable. But do not push your political agenda on us bu using your celebrity status. As far as those i do not like or believe that is fine, but i am not going to stop wathcing their movies just because of political views, if i like the person as a actor.

I am not fond of Obama's policies, and how he handles himself as our President. However he may be a fun guy to hang out with, not a fun guy as our President.

As many actors out there, you disagree with, there are many who are great actors, that do a lot for chairities, and good causes. I know people who know some celebrities, me i know none. Poor me ha. My husband has met quite a few actors and actresses, for the most part, he says they were nice to him, and eddie murphy years ago in an elevator, even joked with him.

Very simple don't make a mountian out of a mole hill, don't like what actor stands for in any way, don't watch their shows, or movies, simple as that. I can separte the actor from his politicial views, just like my friends.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:58 PM

5,864 posts, read 5,003,640 times
I really can't believe people limit themselves from certain movies/TV shows because the actor on it might have an opposing view. I find it more common on the right wing than the left.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:01 PM

37,199 posts, read 42,429,753 times
I love people who boycott. They spend so much time thinking they are doing something.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:29 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,017,667 times
I've been boycotting hollywood movies for years. Haven't set foot in a movie theater in quite a long while. It's not difficult to do. The tripe they've been making isn't worth wiping my feet on.

For TV, I'll watch 60 Minutes or Dateline but for the most part we stick to the Discovery, History, Food Network, and Biography channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
People should be boycotted for what they do not because of their opinions. That's just childish.
Where was your outrage when the Gay Mafia sent death threats to Miss California when she opined on national television that she personally did not believe in gay marriage?

Old 09-26-2011, 02:50 PM

14,490 posts, read 26,668,937 times
lol miss america?who watches that dreck?. I dont boycott renting DVD's for 1.00. Movie theatres are a thing of the past, plus the "blockbuster" H'wood films are just brainless.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:58 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,393,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Giving an respectful opinion is one thing, but too many celebrities feel their fame gives them the right to belittle those who have different opinions. I have a long, growing list of celebrities I will no longer support because they've revealed a disdain for people who don't agree with them on political and social issues. I refuse to pad the wallets of people who dislike or possibly hate me based on my beliefs.
Right on! I am an avid movie goer, but this past weekend, I just looked at my choices, realized I couldn't stomach any more of what passes for "art" and stayed away. I agree that everyone should be able to express their opinions, but it's the disdain and belittling as you put it so well, that really ticks me off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies