Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support Israel military attacks on Iran's nuclear centers?
yes 96 64.86%
no 43 29.05%
other 4 2.70%
not sure 5 3.38%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 07:00 AM

21,116 posts, read 42,243,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
How about you fundies go fight your religious wars yourselves and leave the rest of us out of it.
Fundie?

Suffice to say: I have no respect for Islamist pigs; who, BTW, are not true Muslims.

Remember 9-11? If that were to happen again; I can all but guarantee that Armageddon will occur in the Middle East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 07:07 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,987,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
OTHER: I'll support America taking care of America, I don't really give a rat's behind about the cesspool we call the Middle East.
Hmm, I have heard this before...

oh yes.. it was

Quote:
OTHER: I'll support America taking care of America, I don't really give a rat's behind about the cesspool we call Germany.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:12 AM

11,361 posts, read 19,030,381 times
Quote:
Allies? How many boots did Israel put on the ground in Iraq and Afghanistan? Allies in name only aren't allies at all.
They would actually LOVE to do that, but we and Europe covertly beg them not to so that we can have the support of nations like Saudi Arabia. In the first Gulf War, this fact wasn't even a secret. Honestly, if they were "directly" involved in these wars, we'd probably have less of a mess in both Iraq and Afghanistant.

In their own wars and anti-terror efforts, they are an unofficial "tester" of our weapons, and we use some weapons they created, like Arrow missles or Uzi guns. And I'm sure we have lots of anti-terror intelligence from them.

They're more of an ally than you think, I really doubt our extreme level of support to Israel is simply just pandering to AIPAC, etc. (PS look it up, but the nations that get the next highest levels of US foreign aid are Egypt and Jordan, hardly sounds "biased" to me......and that has also been true since the late 70s, I'm sure there's strategic reasons there too).

And while Obama may be a bit more "balanced" than Bush's crew, I don't think it's because he wants to see them disappear either, I honestly think (and there are even a considerable number of Israelis who think this, just not in government) he just believes that peace and a 2-state solution is actually better for Israel's security long-term at this point. There are 2 groups in Israel with high birth rates, what they call there the "ultra-Orthodox" (most of whom make Netanyahu and his cronies look like peace activists and hippies by comparison.....nowadays almost every Jewish Israeli who lives in the West Bank are from that group) and Palestinians living both within Israel (non-Jewish Arabs are 20% of the non-territory population) and in the West Bank. War is only going to be a short-term solution there anymore......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
Good Post.

I would support Israel attacking Iran's nuclear centers if it is proven that they are manufacturing weapon grade Plutonium.

Iran's government is very nervous right now. Recently their own people are second guessing their governments decisions. We know that Iran always wanted to see the destruction of Israel. Israel will not allow that nightmare (Iran with Nukes) to come into fruition.
Agreed. If we do it, we just look bad to the world. If they do it, the world will say it's "Israel as usual" or something like that and life goes on.

Regarding their own people, I think it's telling about their second guessing. They see Mahmoud A. for the extreme nut-job that he is. And Iran has only seen the destruction of Israel since the Ayatollah and the Revolution in 1979. The Shah, other issues with him aside, actually had diplomatic relations with Israel. Now I don't think this means the people exactly love and support Israel, but I think without the Ayatollah, they could be more like Turkey and be a "mediator" state or something.

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 09-26-2009 at 07:25 AM..

Old 09-26-2009, 07:28 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,586,856 times
Quote:
Allies? How many boots did Israel put on the ground in Iraq and Afghanistan? Allies in name only aren't allies at all.

When you are a country the size of New Jersey, surrounded by hostile neighbors lobbing missles at you, you have to keep your military home for defense.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:41 AM

68,394 posts, read 54,665,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
When you are a country the size of New Jersey, surrounded by hostile neighbors lobbing missles at you, you have to keep your military home for defense.

Great ally!

Israel takes care of Israel

Israel graciously? accepts BILLION$ from America

Israel is too busy to come to America's aid

With 'friends' like that who needs............................................. .

Old 09-26-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
They're more of an ally than you think, I really doubt our extreme level of support to Israel is simply just pandering to AIPAC, etc. (PS look it up, but the nations that get the next highest levels of US foreign aid are Egypt and Jordan, hardly sounds "biased" to me......and that has also been true since the late 70s, I'm sure there's strategic reasons there too).
And all that 'strategy' for so many years at the cost of so many $$$ has produced such a stable middle east, right?

Spend it here, let Egypt, Jordan, Israel, et al fight it out amongst themselves.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post

oh yes.. it was

Once again, the inability/refusal to acknowledge the vast difference between religions and nation states.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:10 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,231,090 times
Doesn't matter if "we would support" because the United States has already pledged its support.

Clinton warns Iran: U.S. will protect its friends
Clinton warns Iran: U.S. will protect its friends - Haaretz - Israel News

Quote:
In a wide-ranging policy address to the Council on Foreign Relations, Clinton pledged that the U.S. will "not hesitate to defend our friends, our interests, and above all, our people vigorously and when necessary with the world's strongest military."
So this is how it will play out. Israel attacks Iran, then Iran retaliates, then the US commits to further retaliation and escalation. Every media news outlet then puts little flags waving on their screens, each and everyone of them, even the uber liberal ones, promoting a "march to war, war on terror, blah blah", dissenters asking for more consideration will be denounced as terrorist loving, anti-American haters and pacifist. (again)

Israel starts the war, the US then jumps in with both feet, sends its young men to fight on behalf of others, and your great grandchildren will then be required to pay for it all. Meanwhile, the usual pro-war types will sit on the great big lazy butts at home and yell, rah rah, go fight son, its a good war to save civilization. Eight years later when no evidence is found that a nuclear weapon existed, the press will then hail the Obama administrations blunder and ask yet again, why did people not pay attention to the evidence.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:18 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,605,942 times
if israel attacks iran the whole middle east will go up in flames. and if the us helps israel, well if you think the middle east hates america now...

also, is russia gonna be on irans side?

Old 09-26-2009, 08:22 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,605,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post

oh yes.. it was
except israel is committing genocide against the palestinians vs germanys committing genocide against the jews. so maybe we should invade israel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies