Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 11:03 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,432,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes and I expect those people to stop envying me and trying to take my money. Life is all about choices. I choose to pay health insurance premiums and forego the iPhone with unlimited text messaging. They want the iPhone and for me to buy them health care.

Just have everyone pay their own way for the things they want.
Um....does your employer pay for any of your insurance? If you believe everyone pays his own way, shouldn't you be paying for it instead of your employer paying and passing the cost on to his customers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I'll keep my insurance. With my insurance, I have some choice about the pool of users I wish to be in.
Why do you think you would have less choice with one payer?

Quote:
All I want is catastrophic medical care be covered. The rest I'll pay out of pocket -- that's what I end up doing all the time anyhow. I really don't want to pay for myself or for others to run to the doctor every time they sneeze.
You are now. You know, the only people I ever knew who ran to the doctor for sniffles (or sneezes as you say) were people who had really good employer paid insurance plans. They both happened to be employed by the Municipality of Anchorage, thus I paid through my tax dollars for them to run to the doctor and get antibiotics every time they got the common cold. Hey, they wanted to go to the doctor and wanted to an antibiotic and the insurance company would pay so why not. Easy money for the doctor.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:10 AM

9,855 posts, read 10,428,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Um....does your employer pay for any of your insurance? If you believe everyone pays his own way, shouldn't you be paying for it instead of your employer paying and passing the cost on to his customers?
What makes you think all businesses pass on the cost of group health insurance to the customer?

Old 09-20-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
What makes you think all businesses pass on the cost of group health insurance to the customer?
If the business is paying for the insurance, it is part of the business expenses and tax deductible. It's called "cost of doing business" or "overhead". If the person running the business has any knowledge about running a business, it should be a factor in determining what the business charges for it's product or services and thus the cost is passed on to the customers.

Why? How do you think it is paid for?

Old 09-20-2009, 11:18 AM

9,855 posts, read 10,428,765 times
Quote:
If the business is paying for the insurance, it is part of the business expenses and tax deductible. It's called "cost of doing business" or "overhead". If the person running the business has any knowledge about running a business, it should be a factor in determining what the business charges for it's product or services and thus the cost is passed on to the customers.

Why? How do you think it is paid for?
Doctors who provide health insurance for employees do not pass the cost on to patients.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:21 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,026,280 times
Quote:
But aren't the uninsured the ones demanding this?

Shouldn't they expect to pay something for health insurance like all the rest of us do? Or who do they expect must pay it for them.

Most uninsured I know have the latest cell phones, unlimited phone service, they have video game players that cost almost as much as a year's insurance, they have the latest games, they have nice cars. They go to concerts.

It seems that many want something for nothing.
I can't agree with you ENOUGH today!! We need a change in the culture of america. Perhaps one where all accept responsibility to carry their own insurance would be a positive start in the right direction

Old 09-20-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Doctors who provide health insurance for employees do not pass the cost on to patients.
I assure you they do just like they pass on all the costs of wages, payroll taxes, office rental/mortgage, utilities, computers, equipment and on and on and on.

Again, how do you think they pay for it?

Old 09-20-2009, 12:19 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,804,729 times
Quote:
85% of people with health insurance are generally satisfied with their plans.

Obama isn't coming up with a plan for the currently insured. The responsible kinds of people who pay every month, live with their deductibles, often choosing them, and the co-pays are not the problem.

I doubt any uninsured paying in cash have any trouble finding a doctor. The problem is with those who expect the doctor to provide his services and the services of his office staff at no charge.

And yes I have a problem with ME getting to pay for all those things that people who have money for new cars, cell phone service, the latest iPhone and all the rest but don't want to pay for their own health care.

As long as Obama doesn't touch those of us who already buy our own insurance, and comes up with a plan that gets the uninsured to pay something for what they want, I'm fine with his plan.
I think the percentage of people who don't want to pay for health insurance but have an iPhone is VERY SMALL in comparison to those who can't get insurance because of pre-existing conditions.

Insurance companies will refuse you for having acne, for having a c-section, or seeing a psychologist, among other things.

washingtonpost.com

The point of the public option is to allow people who cannot currently afford health insurance an option to buy it. One reason health insurance is so high today is because of the high overhead of insurance companies.

There is also a lot of waste. Why can't all the insurance companies standardize their claim method? That alone would save a lot of money.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ng-claims.html

Old 09-20-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Perhaps one where all accept responsibility to carry their own insurance would be a positive start in the right direction
That's the position Steve Forbes has taken for years. He believes that businesses should stop paying for insurance and everyone should be responsible for his own insurance. Forbes bases his position on his belief that the US can't compete in the world market because of the cost to employers of health insurance. Of course, that would mean that the individuals would be responsible for the additional thousands of dollars that the employer now pays without any increase in compensation. Increasing wages to the employee would negate the benefit to the employer of not paying for insurance.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:29 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,804,729 times
Quote:
That's the position Steve Forbes has taken for years. He believes that businesses should stop paying for insurance and everyone should be responsible for his own insurance. Forbes bases his position on his belief that the US can't compete in the world market because of the cost to employers of health insurance. Of course, that would mean that the individuals would be responsible for the additional thousands of dollars that the employer now pays without any increase in compensation. Increasing wages to the employee would negate the benefit to the employer of not paying for insurance.
Single payer would help more businesses than mandatory individual insurance would.

I do agree that increasing wages would negate the benefit of the employer not paying for insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies