Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 08:45 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,772,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Duhhhhh.........the uninsured are uninsured because they cannot pay.............
Cannot or don't want to pay? I would bet good money that most of the uninsured do have televisions, even cable, and they have computers and even internet service, and many drive cars.

The indigent already are covered by Medicaid. It's not the indigent we're talking about.

Even the indigent often have television with cable, computers and plenty of luxuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 08:47 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,431,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Okay - and who pays?

Shouldn't we all pay for what we want? Or should we make doctors, nurses, hospital admininstrators work for nothing?
1. We who pay are already paying through hidden costs in the medical care we pay for, our taxes and in the cost of goods and service we purchase.
2. A one payer system supported by tax dollars which eliminates insurance company profits, the cost of lobbying and political donations, the cost of sales and marketing insurance, the cost of duplication of administration of insurance companies, the cost of policy compliance (those people whose job it is to deny coverage), etc would be cheaper for everyone. We pay more taxes but everyone gets health care.
3. We really need to stop thinking inside the insurance box and try to think about providing medical care, not medical insurance.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:48 AM

615 posts, read 1,694,796 times
So is it a tax on me when you don't have insurance, get a huge medical bill, and either skip out on it or declare bankruptcy? We are paying for it anyway, why don't people get that? As it stands right now those people that skip out on it or declare bankruptcy pay NOTHING, if we are all taxed or are forced to buy insurace, at least then they are paying SOMETHING!!

Old 09-20-2009, 08:48 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,128,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
1. You have a choice about whether or not you drive a car and thus have to pay insurance. What's the choice that can get you out of buying mandatory medical insurance?
2. Auto insurance is a whooooole lot cheaper than medical insurance.
3. Medical insurance doesn't insure against bad health. It pays some of the bills if you seek medical care. For many, many people, it's cheaper to pay for medical care than it is to pay for medical insurance and the copays/deductibles. A lot cheaper.....if they can get appointments with doctors....
People will quit a min wage job and work under the table, free Obamacare.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:49 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,885,537 times
Quote:
1. You have a choice about whether or not you drive a car and thus have to pay insurance. What's the choice that can get you out of buying mandatory medical insurance?
Its eventual that you will need to get health insurance... would you rather we ramp UP your costs since you didn't pay at the beginning? If you don't have car insurance before getting it, you pay more... Or do you want to wait when you have a medical catastrophe and then we will charge you a LOT more afterwards because you weren't insured... It works either way but don't come back and whine about that you have to pay more because you didn't contribute earlier... you don't get the privilege of buying only when you need it... no insurance works that way, that would be stupid...

Quote:
2. Auto insurance is a whooooole lot cheaper than medical insurance.
Oh I see... your health is not as important as your car... your health bill is cheaper than getting a car fix? There is reason its cheaper and that is NOT a reason to not get it...

Quote:
3. Medical insurance doesn't insure against bad health. It pays some of the bills if you seek medical care. For many, many people, it's cheaper to pay for medical care than it is to pay for medical insurance and the copays/deductibles. A lot cheaper.....if they can get appointments with doctors....
It insures that when you have bad health, you can get better... it pays a large amount of your bills... not just "some" of it... for very LITTLE people its cheaper because over their ENTIRE LIFE they will end up paying a significant amount... The only way it would be cheaper is if you work out a deal with a LOT of the medical industry and insurance is the simplest way of doing it...

Old 09-20-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Cannot or don't want to pay? I would bet good money that most of the uninsured do have televisions, even cable, and they have computers and even internet service, and many drive cars.
This is a mantra for you, isn't it? What a shock. People want to buy things that make their lives better and more pleasant instead of buying insurance that they likely aren't going to use. Why is that difficult for you to accept that?
Quote:
The indigent already are covered by Medicaid. It's not the indigent we're talking about.
Not nearly as many of the indigent your covered by Medicaid as you probably think. And many of those people cannot find doctors who will accept Medicaid which means they end up going to ERs for what should be routine medical care. There's one of those hidden costs I was talking about -- either Medicaid pays for an ER visit that should have been a far cheaper office visit or the hospital sucks it up and increases the cost of their services to those who pay. See how that works?

Quote:
Even the indigent often have television with cable, computers and plenty of luxuries.
Perhaps you should define "indigent" so we know who you are talking about.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:55 AM

Obama's statements:

The -- for us to say that you've got to take a responsibility to get health insurance is absolutely not a tax increase. What it's saying is, is that we're not going to have other people carrying your burdens for you anymore than the fact that right now everybody in America, just about, has to get auto insurance. Nobody considers that a tax increase. People say to themselves, that is a fair way to make sure that if you hit my car, that I'm not covering all the costs.

you've got to take a responsibility to get health insurance -- now who can disagree with that? It's about responsibility folks. If you want something, you have to sacrifice to have it. Or who do you think must sacrifice for it for you?

if I say that I don't want to have to pay for you not carrying coverage even after I give you tax credits that make it affordable, then...

I certainly can't argue with that -- Obama is right. The uninsured drive up the premiums and costs of others.

Unless you change that doctors, nurses and the rest expect to be paid for their services, someone has to pay. Shouldn't those wanting this insurance pay for it? Obama already said he's getting it for you cheaper.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
This is a mantra for you, isn't it? What a shock. People want to buy things that make their lives better and more pleasant instead of buying insurance that they likely aren't going to use. Why is that difficult for you to accept that?
Then what's been with all these past months? The uninsured have been demanding Obama get them something. The "uninsured" have been almost the whole topic for months and months.

They already had health care options, they could pay cash to see a doctor or even put it on their credit cards.

Yes the uninsured want to save their money for the luxuries like iPhones with unlimited text messaging instead of on health care insurance which they feel they don't need (yet for some reason have been demanding the politicians come up with some kind of plan for them anyway).

They already get unlimited health care when they do encounter problems -- unlimited health care that the rest of us must pay for them.

So if Obama talks about responsibility and having everyone pay something, what's so terrible about that? My health care costs are very high and I don't use health care.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Its eventual that you will need to get health insurance... would you rather we ramp UP your costs since you didn't pay at the beginning? If you don't have car insurance before getting it, you pay more... Or do you want to wait when you have a medical catastrophe and then we will charge you a LOT more afterwards because you weren't insured... It works either way but don't come back and whine about that you have to pay more because you didn't contribute earlier... you don't get the privilege of buying only when you need it... no insurance works that way, that would be stupid...
Huh?

Quote:
Oh I see... your health is not as important as your car... your health bill is cheaper than getting a car fix? There is reason its cheaper and that is NOT a reason to not get it...
I know a woman who doesn't have health insurance because the only policy she could purchase would cost her $9000/year with a high deductible and copays and not cover her preexisting conditions which she would continue to have to pay for out of pocket. Her auto insurance costs her $2500/year and it's that high because for her business she needs a special rider. She can afford to pay $2500 a year for her auto insurance for the auto she uses to make her living. She cannot afford $9000 in addition to all her other living expense.

Quote:
It insures that when you have bad health, you can get better... it pays a large amount of your bills... not just "some" of it... for very LITTLE people its cheaper because over their ENTIRE LIFE they will end up paying a significant amount... The only way it would be cheaper is if you work out a deal with a LOT of the medical industry and insurance is the simplest way of doing it...
I really am having trouble understanding the point you are trying to make.
1. Coverage depends on the policy you buy. Many, many people learn too late that they have been paying thousands of dollars for years for policies that provide much less coverage than they expected.
2. You are absolutely delusional if you believe that insurance assures you can get better. It assures you that the insurance company will pay to the extent the policy indicates. That's it. It has nothing to do with whether or not you get better.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:06 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,128,951 times
STEPHANOPOULOS: I -- I don't think I'm making it up. Merriam Webster's Dictionary: Tax -- "a charge, usually of money, imposed by authority on persons or property for public purposes."

OBAMA: George, the fact that you looked up Merriam's Dictionary, the definition of tax increase, indicates to me that you're stretching a little bit right now. Otherwise, you wouldn't have gone to the dictionary to check on the definition. I mean what...

What a load of lawyer speak bull crap !

How could anyone shout "you lie" at this man ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies