Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 06:12 PM

8,994 posts, read 14,821,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
One thing I'm reminded of while I read through this thread: I'm so glad I'm not religious and that I don't believe in God.
My heart just goes out to all the gay people out there who do believe in god and everything the bible says and think they're somehow "less than," "evil," "sick" or anything else similar just because of their religious upbringing.

There's a reason the suicide rate for LGBT youth is really high and I'm sure a lot of it can be traced back to religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 06:32 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,741,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
ummmm theres only ONE of me. there is no you guys.
Thank you. The fact that he keeps saying "you guys" makes it clear that he's turned this into an "us versus them" argument, where anyone who disagrees with him has been brainwashed. I give up on him.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:34 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,063,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Discimination is when you tell someone that they can not do the same thing as you. Every man is free to marry a woman. No one is being disriminated here. IF you were told that you could not get married to someone of the opposite sex because you are gay then that is when discimination sets in. Everyone as you say has exactly the same services.
Discrimination is preventing equality. Saying that a man cannot marry the man he loves, but he's free to marry a woman he has no attraction to is not equal Therefore it is discrimination.

Quote:
Then stop trying to push the beliefe that people of the same sex should have the right to get married. Those with same sex attraction are pushing their way of life on everyone.
Problem with this, is that their lifestyle in no way affects yours. A gay man getting married doesn't make yer marriage any less valid. Nobody's "pushing" any views onto another. Churches can still not marry gay couples.

Marriage for everyone or marriage for no one. I actually fully support both options.

Quote:
But it could happen. Other groups are waiting in line for this question to be addresed. Do you think it will stop here? Are you drawing a line in the sand and saying just us and no one else? Where does it end, and can it end at just same sex unions?
It ends where you cannot prove sufficient ability to consent.

That's where it ends.

Quite simple, actually.

So yes, incest is okay. So is polygamy/polyandry.

Quote:
See already it does not end, now family members have the go ahead in your book to get married?
And in some states too.

Or do you not consider cousins to be family?

I may not want to marry someone of my own blood, but if someone does, then that's good for them.

Quote:
Who are you to say someone can't marry more than one person? If everyone is consenting then why not?
I do believe that I stated that I support polygamy/polyandry.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:54 AM

47,070 posts, read 26,182,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Like I said, you guys can't even say let's agree to disagree.

That is so incredibly telling.
When it comes to discrimination? Hell, no.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:11 AM

47,070 posts, read 26,182,571 times
Quote:
One thing is for sure, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints will never bow down to individuals that are against the Churches policy just to make those people happy. We have the constitution on our side.
What happens in the tabernacle stays in the tabernacle, that's cool. Go wild. Nobody's asking you to change your dogma. Just, y'know, return the courtesy?

Quote:
Freedom of religion is part of the Constitution.
That's the freedom for you to practice your religion. Not the freedom for you to insist that everybody should live by your religion's rules. Rather like a Wahabbist can't insist that your wife should wear a burka.

Quote:
The right for men to merry men is not.
Neither is the right for men to marry women. That's a rather silly point to make.

Quote:
You can if you choose, get married. No one is keeping anyone from getting married. No one is being denied any rights here. What we are saying is that marriage is between a man and a woman. If you want to get married find some one of the opposite sex. If you can't do that then don't get married.
And that was the exact reasoning used to argue that inter-racial marriage wasn't discrimination. How's this: You get to marry the adult you love. Is that too wild of a concept?

Quote:
I fail to see how hait is a part of this. I have no hait for anyone. I do have a belief system though that I stand by. Saying that a man can not marry a man is a belief. It does not show hatred in anyway.
You're willfully causing others to suffer at no gain to yourself. You may not hate - I am inclined to believe you. The privileged rarely work themselves up to hate the underprivileged, but they will extend a lot of effort to keep them firmly in their place.

Quote:
Can a man marry a dog?...
I removed the rest, because the OSHA has rules for slippery slopes. (Incidentally, that was another argument favored by those fighting to outlaw mixed race marriage. You've adopted the reasoning of the losing side.)

Anyway, informed consent. Why is that so bloody hard to grasp?

Old 08-19-2009, 09:51 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,983,873 times
Quote:
Freedom of religion.
yeaahhhhh....and??? Yes, you are free to practice the Mormon religion if you want to. How does that justify dictating other people's lives????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies