Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 02:24 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,981,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
One thing is for sure, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints will never bow down to individuals that are against the Churches policy just to make those people happy. We have the constitution on our side. Freedom of religion is part of the Constitution. The right for men to merry men is not. You can if you choose, get married. No one is keeping anyone from getting married. No one is being denied any rights here. What we are saying is that marriage is between a man and a woman. If you want to get married find some one of the opposite sex. If you can't do that then don't get married. I fail to see how hait is a part of this. I have no hait for anyone. I do have a belief system though that I stand by. Saying that a man can not marry a man is a belief. It does not show hatred in anyway.

Can a man marry a dog? What if a man wants to marry his 67 Mustang? Can you do that? Can a man marry a 12 year old girl? The 12 year old can think for herself. She could even be in love with the man. What is wrong with that? What about if a guy wants to marry his sister or some other relative? What is wrong with that? Should we deny them their rights as well? Lets say that the brother and sister love each other are adults and just want to get married? Anything wrong with that? I am a Mormon and as you know there was a time when many of my faith had more than one wife. Can I marry more than one woman? What about you? Do you want to marry more than one guy or girl? Why should that be wrong?
If you don't believe that a person should marry a person of the same sex, THEN DON'T DO IT. Do NOT impose your "belief" on other people! Who's to say that you are correct in your belief that marriage is only between a man and a woman? It is SUBJECTIVE.

I really hope you don't believe it's a valid comparison to say that a person cannot marry a Ford Mustang. If you do, then you are more hopeless than I imagined.

PS - and by the way, what in the world are you talking about "We have the constitution on our side"???

Last edited by KLDanford; 08-18-2009 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 02:35 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,920,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
jillz religion is antiquated! just read the post above yours!
Don't I know it! Half my family is Mormon and I cannot believe we think so differently yet are from the same family.

For you Mormons and other religious folks that don't think one should be able to marry someone of the same sex, don't do it! Just let someone else create their family in whatever way they feel fit. And don't pull out that bs about wanting to marry a dog, cat, other barnyard animal or as the person upthread said, 67 Mustang. It doesn't show you in the best light. Or as very Christian. Not a believer, but do you REALLY think Jesus or God or whomever you pray to would want you to deny rights to someone who feels differently than you do? Wasn't he/she supposed to be a loving, forgiving, understanding God? Not a judgemental as*hat.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:43 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,053,203 times
Quote:
. You can if you choose, get married. No one is keeping anyone from getting married.
Just like you'd be able to marry a member of the same gender if you choose so.

Gays aren't getting special rights.

Quote:
If you want to get married find some one of the opposite sex. If you can't do that then don't get married.
That's discrimination. Provide the same services for everyone (who has legal consent to do so) or provide them for no one.

Quote:
Saying that a man can not marry a man is a belief.
And beliefs should not be pushed onto others.

Quote:
Can a man marry a dog? What if a man wants to marry his 67 Mustang? Can you do that? Can a man marry a 12 year old girl?
No in all cases.

You'd have to ask this question: Can it be proven that the other party can give legal and full knowing consent? That is why a man cannot marry an animal, inanimate object, or child.

Quote:
What about if a guy wants to marry his sister or some other relative? What is wrong with that?
Nothing wrong with that at all.

Quote:
Can I marry more than one woman?
Legally? No. But I do feel that you should be allowed to.

Quote:
What about you? Do you want to marry more than one guy or girl? Why should that be wrong?
Do I want to marry more than one woman? No, I like to keep my sanity, thank you very much. One woman in my house on her period at a time is more than enough.

However, just because I don't want it doesn't mean that I should keep others from doing so.

As long as every party can legally and knowingly consent, then I see nothing wrong with it.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:17 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,378,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
PS - and by the way, what in the world are you talking about "We have the constitution on our side"???
Freedom of religion.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:23 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,675,163 times
its right to happiness and that right was already settled in the Loving case (and the 1940's CA case previously).

there is precedent.

marriage is a right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Once again, we're talking about a right that does not now nor ever has existed-period.

Why does it upset you when people of faith see what they believe to be crumbling morality fight to uphold one of society's most sacred and precious institutions??

Old 08-18-2009, 03:29 PM

That's discrimination. Provide the same services for everyone (who has legal consent to do so) or provide them for no one.

Discimination is when you tell someone that they can not do the same thing as you. Every man is free to marry a woman. No one is being disriminated here. IF you were told that you could not get married to someone of the opposite sex because you are gay then that is when discimination sets in. Everyone as you say has exactly the same services.

And beliefs should not be pushed onto others.

Then stop trying to push the beliefe that people of the same sex should have the right to get married. Those with same sex attraction are pushing their way of life on everyone.

You'd have to ask this question: Can it be proven that the other party can give legal and full knowing consent? That is why a man cannot marry an animal, inanimate object, or child.

But it could happen. Other groups are waiting in line for this question to be addresed. Do you think it will stop here? Are you drawing a line in the sand and saying just us and no one else? Where does it end, and can it end at just same sex unions?

Nothing wrong with that at all.

See already it does not end, now family members have the go ahead in your book to get married?

Legally? No. But I do feel that you should be allowed to.

Do I want to marry more than one woman? No, I like to keep my sanity, thank you very much. One woman in my house on her period at a time is more than enough.

Who are you to say someone can't marry more than one person? If everyone is consenting then why not?

[/quote]

Old 08-18-2009, 03:39 PM

36,666 posts, read 67,617,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Read that again. It's about you feeling good, isn't it?
Oh, it's a good deal, I can see that. You get to feel all virtuous and holy, while somebody else suffers. But they're unholy, so their misery doesn't really count.
Despite all the hollow warmth and fuzziness that now covers the media and news over this issue, the fact remains, in all things there is right and wrong, there is correct and incorrect and there is true and false.

Quote:
What would you stand to lose if gays were allowed to marry?
What do you lose by letting a man marry 2 women? What do you personally care if your neighbor marries a child? what would you stand to lose if someone wanted to marry their sibling or an animal?

I mean if its all about love and letting others be free to do as they please, what's it to the rest of us?

Just as you probably draw the line at incest, polygamy and beastiality, some of us draw the line at same sex marriage.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
Don't I know it! Half my family is Mormon and I cannot believe we think so differently yet are from the same family.

For you Mormons and other religious folks that don't think one should be able to marry someone of the same sex, don't do it! Just let someone else create their family in whatever way they feel fit. And don't pull out that bs about wanting to marry a dog, cat, other barnyard animal or as the person upthread said, 67 Mustang. It doesn't show you in the best light. Or as very Christian. Not a believer, but do you REALLY think Jesus or God or whomever you pray to would want you to deny rights to someone who feels differently than you do? Wasn't he/she supposed to be a loving, forgiving, understanding God? Not a judgemental as*hat.
As a parent I love my kids, just like God loves all his children. At the same time my kids do things that I do not agree with. I don't love them any less for acting as kids. We love the kids but not all the things that they do. With your sort of reasoning a person shoud be able to do what ever they want just because God loves them. Where is the responsiblility in that? How is that a way to improve our standing with God? Should we forget all the commandments because God loves us and he won't mind? We have been given a way to live, rules to live by.

Seems that some want to choose what commandments to follow and forget the others as it suits them. Remember this one; Multiply and replenish the earth. Not too sure how that works with 2 people of the same sex.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:42 PM

36,666 posts, read 67,617,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Just like how so many people voted for Obama or McCain, depending on your perspective.
Actually 2 Million Obama voters such as myself put Prop 8 over the top.

Quote:
We've thought about these issues and made a decision. It's only because you can't accept that decision that you call it brainwashing.
That's odd. Im not the one that can't accept the decision by voters to pass Prop 8.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:42 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,841,666 times
Quote:
One thing is for sure, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints will never bow down to individuals that are against the Churches policy just to make those people happy.
The mormons have bowed down to the greater public sentiment more than once. Banning polygamy and letting blacks get the priesthood are two of the bigger examples. Just FYI

Still though, I think less of the gay community than the mormons after the whole "kiss in" affair. It was a seriously immature of them. And LOTS of christian denominations fought for Proposition 8; the mormons are just easy to attack and blame because they don't fight back. The whole thing has devolved into a hyocritical catfight and is anything but constructive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies