Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 12:45 PM

42,732 posts, read 30,119,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Joe White View Post
I'm comparing the assumptions now (shortly after Obama was elected) with the assumptions then (shortly after Carter was elected. My reference was post-election 'they voted for change and got Jimmy Carter' ).

They thought after electing Carter that a long line of subsequent presidents would ALSO be Democrats.

Instead:

Reagan
Reagan
Bush
Clinton
Clinton
Bush
Bush
Thank you for clarifying that. I was going off your statement, "after the Nixon scandal", so it seemed appropriate to include Carter in the list. One might also point out that your list would be "after the Iran hostage crisis", which was a seminal event as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 12:59 PM

439 posts, read 445,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Thank you for clarifying that. I was going off your statement, "after the Nixon scandal", so it seemed appropriate to include Carter in the list. One might also point out that your list would be "after the Iran hostage crisis", which was a seminal event as well.

Carter's unprecedented intrusion into the private economy (and it's horrible results), his weakness in dealing with terrorists, and his attempts at restricting energy use were the key to his defeat.

Obama is set for a threepeat.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:06 PM

938 posts, read 3,176,909 times
Lets bring back Conde Rice, she had a long list of successes as our previous Secretary of State and I am told that Obama wants to bring in more Republicans.

I have to assume this is a planted story by some of Hilary's critics within the White House to marginalize her or send her a message that she has to be a good solider.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:39 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,738,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
With the Pubs, the insurance companies will just drop you as usual instead of talking to you.
I ain't been dropped yet. Neither has any member of my family. We can't be dropped unless everyone similarly situated is also dropped which would seriously erode the several companie's customer bases.

Sorry! No Chicken Little here!

Old 07-24-2009, 02:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 85,052,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Lets bring back Conde Rice, she had a long list of successes as our previous Secretary of State and I am told that Obama wants to bring in more Republicans.

I have to assume this is a planted story by some of Hilary's critics within the White House to marginalize her or send her a message that she has to be a good solider.
I think there is something underfoot in the WH with regards to Hillary.
For such and outspoken person Hillary is taking a quiet back seat to Obama.
Hillary is not forging relationships, Obama is.

Obama goes to Russia and where's Hillary a week later..in Mumbai surrounded by dancing women. Something is wrong with this picture.
Hillary couldn't go to Russia because of her elbow yet one or two weeks later she's jetting around the world. Obama couldn't wait 2 weeks to go to Russia with Hillary ?

And now this coming out of the WH. Something is going on but only time will tell us what it really is.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:33 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,332,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
She probably has ideas of her own. That's dangerous.
I'm no Hillary fan, but I do think she is being marginalized and minimalized and that she doesn't walk in lock step with Obama, and he doesn't like that. She's way too smart and talented to stay on with these clowns. I personally hope she steps down and runs against him in 2012. I don't care for some of her policies, but I do respect her, and she is certainly more reasonable than King Barrack.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:29 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,246,483 times
Personally, I find all of this fairly amusing
Obama has his haughty head up his ass and is behaving stupidly,
Hillary and Bill are plotting and planing for 2012, and the repubs and holding their breaths
if they had any smarts, they would step back and let Obama and his hacklings fight it out, they are
sinking fast, each one looking at the polls drop like a rock and wondering what the heck happened.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 85,052,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I'm no Hillary fan, but I do think she is being marginalized and minimalized and that she doesn't walk in lock step with Obama, and he doesn't like that. She's way too smart and talented to stay on with these clowns. I personally hope she steps down and runs against him in 2012. I don't care for some of her policies, but I do respect her, and she is certainly more reasonable than King Barrack.
I'm no fan either, but Hillary is starting to look good to me now.
She should pull a "Palin". I think even her and Bill have more respect for America and Americans than the current administration does in either foreign or domestic affairs.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:42 PM

539 posts, read 703,259 times
"The main reason Clinton got his foot in the door was Republican anger over Bush's broken tax pledge"

Wrong. It was Ross Perot.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:24 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,283,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
well, we certainly don't want our secretaries of state to hope for triumphs of democracy, now do we?
triumphs for democracy in american terms, is same as elation for white pedophiles at a southeast asian orphanage !!!

this aint flame; another social commentary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies