Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 08:25 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,872,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Key word: The proper infrastructure. Unless you develop a transmission line with extremely low loss this is a big problem, not a trivial thing as your post seem to suggest.

I agree that solar and wind should be more widespread, but not with current devices. The $/KW is just way to high to justify it. Maybe when there is less fossil fuels and the $/KW of fossil fuels rise, or when the cost of solar goes down. Right now there are a bunch of "roll-to-roll" and organic solar cells technologies that look promising, if those technologies come through, they would make solar much more appealing.
Actually waiting for fossil fuel production to go into decline is the worst thing we can do, as alternative energy technologies require substantial fossil fuel inputs in order for them to be scaled up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 08:54 AM

1,080 posts, read 2,270,097 times
Why are we even talking about wind and solar. The neccesary infrasctructure will not be invented for at least 20-30 years, and then will take another decade or so to implement. We need something now, and that something is natural gas. We easily have enough natural gas in this country for everything, and we have the technology now. Natural gas is the energy source of the future, whether the eco-loons like it or not.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:12 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,311,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Can I ask you a serious question? Do you recycle? Do you turn off the water when you are brushing your teeth? How about lights, tv, etc. when you aren't using them? What do you care if somebody wants to drive an electric car? Maybe, just maybe, they find a gas hog to NOT be economical and prefer an electric car to simply save money. Is it possible that caring about taking care of our planet does NOT make one an *environ-wacko* as you stated.

All of the actions you mentioned are common sense, and I do those things. Purchasing an electric car in an effort to appear "green" is wacko when that vehicle has a worse environmental footprint than the default IC-engine vehicle. Fact.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:41 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,878,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
All of the actions you mentioned are common sense, and I do those things. Purchasing an electric car in an effort to appear "green" is wacko when that vehicle has a worse environmental footprint than the default IC-engine vehicle. Fact.
But, I didn't say anything about purchasing an electric vehicle to *appear* green. What I said was that some people want/need to save the money they spend on *fuel* and could purchase an electric vehicle in order to do so. I rented a Prius when I was on vacation and let me tell you, after putting 450 miles on it and only paying 18 bucks to fill it up, I was really happy. Then I came home and paid 60 bucks to fill up my ML 350, so now I am seriously considering purchasing a hybrid of some sort. Hey, if it helps the environment that is great, but it's not the ONLY reason I would buy one.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:48 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,878,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Also, please show me some links that verify what you said previously about electric vehicles having a worse environmental impact than gasoline powered (IC) vehicles.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:51 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,328,875 times
Quote:
Also, please show me some links that verify what you said previously about electric vehicles having a worse environmental impact than gasoline powered (IC) vehicles.
Well, it's known that they run on coal.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
fuel reduction?? chevron stands to lose billions. remember chevron & exon telling their puppet in DC that consumer usage does not affect price -- you remember-- when gas was 5 bucks a gallon.
they lied.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:21 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,935 times
Let's skip 'electric' and move straight to compressed air cars.

YouTube - 2009 Geneva Motor Show: MDI Compressed Air Car - Exclusive

MDI Enterprises S.A. - Air compressed cars - Flowair - Clean cars - Sustainable technology.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:20 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,311,831 times
Quote:

www.google.com

Old 07-12-2009, 08:40 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,204,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Why should we let the fear-mongering about that bogey-man continue when nuclear CAN be the panacea will are looking for.

France seems to do well with nuclear power and the waste issue - don't they rely on nuclear power for 70%+ of their energy needs?

Are you telling me that France can do a better job than we can?
A conservative advocating following in the footsteps of Western Europe?

I have so much else to recommend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies