Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 08:32 PM

38,846 posts, read 22,729,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Investors.com - Not So Fast With Those Electric Cars

One more fallacy of the environ-wackos down the toilet.

Never mind the fact it is ugly as all hell - and I would never put my kids in that deathtrap.
You drive one of those, and hitting a sparrow on the highway would result in facial reconstruction surgery. Coffins on wheels is what they are.

Not to mention the millions of electric car batteries that would be sent to the landfills every year, due to normal replacement schedules. Then add that to all the extra batteries dealerships will retire earlier then their expiration dates, simply because its awful tough to sell a $15,000 used car, if in two years the buyer has to shell out $4,000 for new batteries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 08:32 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,223,622 times
Obama touts electric delivery truck, but still a long haul to market? - CSMonitor.com

Quote:
Cost is an issue, though. A traditional FEDEX-style delivery truck might cost about $50,000, and the hybrid version about $95,000, Van Amburg estimates. But a plug-in or all-electric version could cost $100,000 to $130,000.
Yes, that would be a problem.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:35 PM

38,496 posts, read 26,041,290 times
Quote:
Never mind the fact it is ugly as all hell - and I would never put my kids in that deathtrap.
The oil gushing into the gulf is what is ugly as hell and a deathtrap!

Old 07-10-2010, 10:59 AM

13,020 posts, read 19,071,677 times
Cost is an issue. Did you know that in 1955 a portable "transistor" radio was introduced? It could only tune in AM stations and could not play any recordings. The price? $50.00, equivalent of $407 today. Only a wealthy gadget freak would buy one. My point is that new products are always going to be expensive during their introductory phase.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:05 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,415,376 times
The electric car is the future of the US.With that = good bye oil from foreign countries, and less imports I wait better models (it's not very efficiency for the moment) but I will buy one for sure

Old 07-10-2010, 05:32 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,223,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
The electric car is the future of the US.With that = good bye oil from foreign countries, and less imports I wait better models (it's not very efficiency for the moment) but I will buy one for sure
At DOUBLE the cost. Smart shopping!

Old 07-10-2010, 05:38 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,926,520 times
Quote:
Investors.com - Not So Fast With Those Electric Cars

One more fallacy of the environ-wackos down the toilet.

The answer is 100 new nuclear power plants capable of 900 mega watts each and the reopening of Yucca (people in Nevada need jobs now so they might be more open to the idea. In fact I would add a sweetner of a .025 cent per kilowatt hour "disposal tax" that would be given to the state of Nevada as a fee for storing the stuff. I don't know how much money this would be but I bet it would be a good infusion into the state coffers there).

Old 07-10-2010, 05:44 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,872,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
When happens then when there ins't any wind and its raining. Ah ha!
Normally with rain comes wind.

Also put the wind turbines off the coasts, out just as far as the oil rigs are so then no one can complain its too close or too far away to manage.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:46 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,926,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Cost is an issue. Did you know that in 1955 a portable "transistor" radio was introduced? It could only tune in AM stations and could not play any recordings. The price? $50.00, equivalent of $407 today. Only a wealthy gadget freak would buy one. My point is that new products are always going to be expensive during their introductory phase.
That is true. I have an old brick style cell phone I paid $850 for. That was back when it cost 50 cents a minute to use with no free minutes.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:51 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,872,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Nuclear is a far better option. And while there's not an unlimited supply of it either, it's at least a solid stop-gap solution until we can develop renewable energy that is both reliable and constant.
Yeah Nuclear is great until regulation goes down the drain as it has with the coal and oil industry and we have a NUCLEAR DISASTER! Oh and yes I know about wind turbines exploding, but tell me what do you think would be worse, a nuclear meltdown near a major city possibly or a wind turbine going boom in a field some where in the country where it would scar the land a bit until it is repaired, and possibly hurt the unlucky driver if they were driving by and close enough to the blades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies