Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 06:18 PM

221 posts, read 219,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post
Nazi's were leftists.
None of the policies or beliefs of Nazi's could be considered conservative.
Stomping all over others looks like a very conservative trait to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 06:32 PM

843 posts, read 1,299,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambintime View Post
Stomping all over others looks like a very conservative trait to me.
What drivel.

Conservatives want a relatively small government and let individuals do as they see fit.

Leftists want a large central government.

Nazism was the very definition of large governement. The state came before the individual. Nazism is a leftist idealogy.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:38 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,501,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchcock View Post
Both sides can take their share of criticism here. Did i say that Dems are any better than the Reps. The problem is that we are at a crossroads in America right now. We are in the midst of a Financial meltdown. Our health system is broken beyond repair and needs to be rebuilt from the foundations up and we are at war with religous fanatics. Don't you realise what fuel these "self rightous" reporters are putting on the flames of hatred around the world for America. They are giving confidence to our enemies and telling them that America is split and falling apart. When i was fighting our enemies in Iraq, the last thing i wanted them to know was the logistics of my platoon or whether we were down to our last few rounds of ammo.
Jumping up and down, spitting venom and being hateful is the sign of a scared individual who is losing.
We should all be pulling together to rebuild America not pulling America apart just because your party is no longer in power.
As pathetic as it is, this all goes to show that nothing much has changed. My war was over 40 years ago. The enemy and the venue were different as were the tactical considerations -- jungles and rice paddies v deserts and built up areas. The climate was different -- hot and humid with momsoons v hot and dry with sand storms. The enemy was different but their operations were similar in that you couldn't always tell friend from foe and booby traps, now called IEDs, proliferated.

What wasn't different was the press and all too many of the people, "our" people. Now they demonstrate on-line, in blogs, text and twitter and many are nameless and faceless. Then they demonstrated, wore tie-dye, grew their hair long and didn't bathe as often as they should. Then, like now, the press was everywhere giving THEM comfort and fanning the fires of dissent which in some cases revealed operations we wished kept to ourselves lest they alert the enemy and in most cases lowered our morale -- Hanoi Jane and their coverage of her being a prime example.

In some senses we were more fortunate. It was before the digital age of personal computers and cell and satellite phones so we didn't find out about much of what was ailing our country until days or weeks later. Now, you have to put up with it in real time. In some senses today's soldiers are lucky because they know right now how things stand and what they'll be returning home to. They also have GPS, small unit communications, better weapons and night vision equipment. But it's still war and still deadly regardless.

I guess what I'm saying is that the older I grow the more I realize that human nature, politics and maybe even soldiering are perfect examples of the fact that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

I salute you for your service and, like you, wish we could all pull together for what's best for America.

OMG. Just looked above and there's a debate going about whether Nazis were conservatives or liberals. Can people here agree on nothing? Doesn't it suffice to say that it was harmful and not something we want as a form of government here? No wonder we're in trouble!

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 07-09-2009 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: Adding incredulism

Old 07-09-2009, 06:41 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,575,081 times
Quote:
What drivel.

Conservatives want a relatively small government and let individuals do as they see fit.

Leftists want a large central government.

Nazism was the very definition of large governement. The state came before the individual. Nazism is a leftist idealogy.
Yes, nazism was an ideology....back then & w/that dictator. How anyone can still try to bring up a link to that horrific time in history w/our current administration is shameful & beyond paranoid.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:48 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,019,043 times
Default The Crux of the Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchcock View Post
Both sides can take their share of criticism here. Did i say that Dems are any better than the Reps. The problem is that we are at a crossroads in America right now. We are in the midst of a Financial meltdown. Our health system is broken beyond repair and needs to be rebuilt from the foundations up and we are at war with religous fanatics. Don't you realise what fuel these "self rightous" reporters are putting on the flames of hatred around the world for America. They are giving confidence to our enemies and telling them that America is split and falling apart. When i was fighting our enemies in Iraq, the last thing i wanted them to know was the logistics of my platoon or whether we were down to our last few rounds of ammo.
Jumping up and down, spitting venom and being hateful is the sign of a scared individual who is losing.
We should all be pulling together to rebuild America not pulling America apart just because your party is no longer in power.

I too would like to thank you for your service, and say how grateful I am that you made it home. Your posts in this thread have clearly expressed the single most pressing issue that America faces: the divisiveness that is
expressed when encouraging people to denigrate other citizens. A large part of the problem seems to be that some are unwilling to accept the decision made in November by the people of the United States. Our long
history of the peaceful transfer of power that has been a great pride for our nation is under attack, from within. The government exists to serve and assist American citizens, and it would be wise for the GOP to either rein in or sever its ties with the extreme right wing fringe who are the ones
encouraging rebellion and secession, then return to the business of governance, as they were elected to do.
As hitchcock points out, these are not ordinary times; regardless of their inception, there are vital issues that must be addressed if our economy is to recover, our infrastructure be revamped or rebuilt, job creation, health care...the list is far too long for any American who understands the meaning of the word "citizenship:" "n. The status of a citizen with its duties, rights and privileges." (The American Heritage Dictionary)
Yes, it says, "duties." And one duty is to participate in the solvency and welfare of the country. Otherwise, you do indeed give aid and comfort to the enemy. The world is watching us closely, enemy and ally alike.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Yes, nazism was an ideology....back then & w/that dictator. How anyone can still try to bring up a link to that horrific time in history w/our current administration is shameful & beyond paranoid.

Uh, I wasn't comparing nazism to any administration in the United States.

Someone else said Nazism was a conservative ideology. I said it was leftist ideolgy. About as far left as you can get. That's all I said.

I don't think I mentioned our current administration. Why would I? I don't think we have any Nazi's in power in the United States. And I don't think anyone in the Obama administration is a nazi. Or a commie or sympathetic to terrorists or anything like that. They are left-leaning Democrats. I don't think they have tried to be secretive about that.

Therefore, it wouldn't be a comparison I would make.

I think you might be the paranoid one.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:55 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,575,081 times
Quote:
Uh, I wasn't comparing nazism to any administration in the United States.

Someone else said Nazism was a conservative ideology. I said it was leftist ideolgy.

I don't think I mentioned our current administration. Why would I? I don't think we have any Nazi's in power in the U.S. Therfore, it wouldn't be a comparison I would make.

I think you might be the paranoid one.
If that's not what you were getting at, then I apologize. I've seen too much of that comparison on this forum since Obama came into office.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:07 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,690,557 times
Quote:
So when are Republicans going to nominate a real conservative? I keep reading that Bush wasn't a conservative, and a lot of people say McCain wasn't a real conservative either.

Don't tell me - Sarah Palin?

Old 07-09-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
If that's not what you were getting at, then I apologize. I've seen too much of that comparison on this forum since Obama came into office.
It's all good. I know exactly where you are coming from.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,471,556 times
hate does not have a political affiliation.
its colorless and without politics.
its always starts with self hatred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies