Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 07:42 PM

843 posts, read 1,299,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
So when are Republicans going to nominate a real conservative? I keep reading that Bush wasn't a conservative, and a lot of people say McCain wasn't a real conservative either.

Don't tell me - Sarah Palin?
I have no clue. I'm not a member of the Republican party. I'm an anarchist.

I would say the last conservative to be nominated by Republicans was Barry Goldwater. The last to win was Calvin Coolidge.

Reagan paid lip service to limiting government. But he didn't do anything about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 07:47 PM

221 posts, read 219,437 times
It's about time we all got on the same team and that is "Team America. Unfortunately there are now too many self interest groups and extremely small minded selfish people in America today for "Team America" to even be an option.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:51 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,542,327 times
I Don't need to look at the video to know that HATE is on the increase in the United States; after all where would WE be without it?????

Old 07-09-2009, 08:08 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,019,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I Don't need to look at the video to know that HATE is on the increase in the United States; after all where would WE be without it?????
It has become an industry in and of itself; books, magazines, websites, t.v. and radio, the speaking circuit...it's very lucrative to encourage the baser elements of human nature. And there does seem to be an inordinate amount of it these days; it comes at a time when unity and singular purpose are badly needed.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:36 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,852,792 times
Whever i have been in the USA i have met some really great people. My neighbours and friends in Houston are fantastic. The most hateful Americans i have encountered have been on this blog or on Fox news. Well there's always some i suppose.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:13 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,387,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Very true.

I have witnessed friends and relatives, who have listened to Fox news and Rush Limbaugh, become more and more angry and closed minded over the past 8-10 years. Some friends are conservative Christians with enough anger and discrimination to run a Nazi camp!
What is it like living in a world where you can't tell the difference between someone that disagrees with you and someone that wants to throw you in an oven?

Old 07-10-2009, 06:22 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,736,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post

I too would like to thank you for your service, and say how grateful I am that you made it home. Your posts in this thread have clearly expressed the single most pressing issue that America faces: the divisiveness that is
expressed when encouraging people to denigrate other citizens. A large part of the problem seems to be that some are unwilling to accept the decision made in November by the people of the United States. Our long
history of the peaceful transfer of power that has been a great pride for our nation is under attack, from within. The government exists to serve and assist American citizens, and it would be wise for the GOP to either rein in or sever its ties with the extreme right wing fringe who are the ones
encouraging rebellion and secession, then return to the business of governance, as they were elected to do.
As hitchcock points out, these are not ordinary times; regardless of their inception, there are vital issues that must be addressed if our economy is to recover, our infrastructure be revamped or rebuilt, job creation, health care...the list is far too long for any American who understands the meaning of the word "citizenship:" "n. The status of a citizen with its duties, rights and privileges." (The American Heritage Dictionary)
Yes, it says, "duties." And one duty is to participate in the solvency and welfare of the country. Otherwise, you do indeed give aid and comfort to the enemy. The world is watching us closely, enemy and ally alike.
You're kidding, right? Do you really think that the opposition to Obama's policies is an indication that "the long tradition of the peaceful transfer of power... is under attack" and that this is a new phenomenon? There has been no president in American history who has been so vilified as GWB. Even before he was inaugurated in 2001 Dems and their media acolytes were determined to de-legitimze his presidency. So cry me no tears over the fact that Obama is trying to drag a center right nation in an extreme left direction and is meeting resistance. What happened to "Dissent is patriotic?"

Old 07-10-2009, 07:43 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,910,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
If you have two people working the same job making the same pay who want to buy a $5,000 used vehicle, and the government gives one of those people $1,000 and nothing to the other. Would you say they both had an "equal" opportunity to buy the vehicle?

Obviously if someone is being subsidized while others are not, their so-called "hard-work or talent" is not equal to the contributions of those who are not being subsidized.

Affirmative Action tells minorities and women that they are unable to make it in the real world without government assistance. Personally, I find that to be prejudiced, demeaning, and insulting. Apparently Affirmative Action supporters don't find it insulting, unless you actually apply the label they created to an Affirmative Action recipient, like the President.
The car scenario isn't a fair comparison. We're not talking about goods, we're talking about achievements. If someone is assisted in getting into college, and the majority of college students actually do receive some sort of assistance whether it's scholarships or grants or work-study, and that someone makes the most of that opportunity, is that person's summa *** laude somehow tainted?

When two people are equally qualified for a job, and one of them is a minority and one is not, sometimes the minority gets the job and it's not because of affirmative action. It's because the HR person liked the layout of his resume better. Or because during the interview the applicant mentioned his involvement with youth soccer, and the boss liked that. Or maybe it's because there was a sense that one applicant's personality matched up better with the rest of the team.

Success is about more than test scores and other measurements. People succeed not just because of hard work. Luck and a host of other intangibles are at play.

For the umpteenth time, I don't advocate Affirmative Action. It was and is an awkward tool, like a hammer being used instead of a screwdriver. It was an attempt to achieve fairness in society in a hamfisted manner. Life and the workplace aren't fair. They never have been, they never will be. The boss's kids always get an advantage. Who you know is still often more important than what you know. But Affirmative Action did highlight and impact unfair business practices that consistently went beyond the old who you know standard. It may have been the wrong tool, it may have had some terrible side effects, it may have, in the end, contributed to the unfairness in the workplace. But at least it brought that unfairness out in the open, at least it gave people routinely discriminated against a chance to legally address the unfairness. It wasn't great legislation, it's mucked up the courts for decades, but what resulted from it wasn't all bad.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:50 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,910,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post
What drivel.

Conservatives want a relatively small government and let individuals do as they see fit.

Leftists want a large central government.

Nazism was the very definition of large governement. The state came before the individual. Nazism is a leftist idealogy.
No, it is not. Nazism is rooted in fascism. Fascism is a conservative ideology that borrows some ideas from the left. But fascism ultimately takes the economic philosophies of capitalism and applies those philosophies to the political spectrum. The level of state control they espouse has nothing to do with a welfare state, the state control is only about advancing the interests of business. Nazism is fascism with a military uniform.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:24 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,675,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
To liberals, the definition of "hate" is believing in anything that they oppose. Things such as morality, God, the traditional family, the free market, etc.
The Republicans have sure shown themselves to be paragons of all of these values..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies