Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you travel to Cuba as a tourist if it is opened back up to American Tourist?
Yes 73 74.49%
No 25 25.51%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:19 PM

4,300 posts, read 7,054,555 times

Advertisements

I also have been there and done that. Would not recommend leaving the cities though. I will say that if the embargo is ever lifted, a lot of Cubans are going to be rich, and a lot of American car collectors happy. If you have ever been to Cuba, you'll know why!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 07:36 PM

785 posts, read 1,052,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Of course Liberals love dicators till its their blood. They arent the ones that have to give an ounce of their blood for that.
Why in the hell do you think we love dictators?

Old 07-08-2009, 07:41 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,810,068 times
Sure why not, the best way to change the place is to flood it with dollars. Plus think of the cigars!

Old 07-08-2009, 07:46 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,277,307 times
Absolutely!

But I couldnt bear the thought of it coarsening, becoming another Jamaica or Dominican Republic - overrun with tourist hotels, condos, bars, jet ski rentals and so on.

It's like one of those delicate ecosystems -- touch it and it's destroyed.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Absolutely!

But I couldnt bear the thought of it coarsening, becoming another Jamaica or Dominican Republic - overrun with tourist hotels, condos, bars, jet ski rentals and so on.

It's like one of those delicate ecosystems -- touch it and it's destroyed.

I wouldn't worry I don't think the 56 Chevy's are doing much for the environment.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:37 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,760,797 times
While I agree, there's much for me too see and do in the USA. For me Cuba is a short hop on a boat. I'd go just because it would be so inexpensive because of it's proximity.

The only thing I'm really wanting to see there is all the pristine old American iron still running the roads.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
While I agree, there's much for me too see and do in the USA. For me Cuba is a short hop on a boat. I'd go just because it would be so inexpensive because of it's proximity.

The only thing I'm really wanting to see there is all the pristine old American iron still running the roads.

Need crew?

Old 07-09-2009, 05:03 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,445,104 times
Cuba is a tough destination, by the way, nothing to do with Miami.
Cuba is nicer, far more beautiful, people far more interesting, but a very difficult destination.
The country is not prepared for American tourists.
Not even the best hotel, Melia Cohiba, stands on par with any three star hotel in the Caribbean basin or Miami.
Yes, there are nice resorts such as Cayo Coco, Cayo Guillermo, Guardalavaca, Varadero, but again, not on par and far more expensive than any neighbouring country.
You need to know the country very well to travel on your own. The country is extremely safe, but tourists are viewed as walking ATM's and they have every conceivable trick to separate you from you money, shortchange you or overcharge you. Not a good idea to travel with dollars, they penalize you with a 20 percent penalty.
Resorts are OK for poor Canadian low lifes and cheap European packages, a ruinous tourisme according to Castro fimself.
It's a communist economy, so there's almost no private enterprise.
Havana's dowtown is mostly black, but though they'll try to push you fake cigars or Che coins, the place is safe. People are quite cultured and have no problem with languages. Many speak English, Russian or German.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:20 AM

41,458 posts, read 60,007,217 times
Whilst in the US Navy, I visited GTMO several times. Alas we could not get off base to sample some of Cuba's finest. If the embargo was lifted we would probably visit as part of a trip to Florida to see friends.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:52 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,958,360 times
I am sure Jay Leno would go to buy cars!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies