Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 10:07 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,229,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Joe White View Post
Reagan took one of the worst economies of the 20th century , the Carter economy with 20% interest rates, 10% unemployment and high inflation, and turned it around with tax cuts and rebuilding America's defense infrastructure.

That's why liberals hate the mention of his name.

Liberals preferred the economy in the tank and weak American defense in the face of a huge Soviet threat. At least liberal politicians did.

OTOH, rank and file Democrats voted for him in huge numbers - twice.

Reagan won 45 of 50 states in 1980 and 49 of 50 in 1984.

That's another reason why liberals hate the mention of his name.
THE RONALD REAGAN MYTH

"Ronald Reagan must be the nicest president who ever destroyed a union, tried to cut school lunch milk rations from six to four ounces, and compelled families in need of public help to first dispose of household goods in excess of $1,000...1f there is an authoritarian regime in the American future, Ronald Reagan is tailored to the image of a friendly fascist." - Robert Lekachman

THE RONALD REAGAN MYTH . . . The Progressive Review
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 10:12 AM

29,920 posts, read 39,603,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
llllllllllllink?
I've given you all freaking 1,000's only to be dismissed because you don't agree.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:17 AM

439 posts, read 444,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
tried to cut school lunch milk rations from six to four ounces
I don't think the federal government should be involved in providing, measuring or discussing school lunches in any way shape or form.

School districts are local entities which should be left alone by the feds.

Left the federal government defend the borders, not measure milk.

That way the $1 that gets shipped to Washington to be returned as a few dimes to the school district can actually be left in the district to be put to good use.

Would you agree?

Old 07-24-2009, 10:23 AM

18,951 posts, read 43,934,106 times
Quote:

Reagan won 45 of 50 states in 1980 and 49 of 50 in 1984.
I doubt we'll ever see anything like that again.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:29 AM

26,353 posts, read 49,413,488 times
They put Reagan's name on too many things, need to take it off of the airport.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:08 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,224,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Great theory...if only National Airport were within the District...
Very true, no disputing that. However, the Federal Government holds the title to the National Airport property, which ultimately gives it the ability to name it as they see fit. The Metro Washington Airport Authority is comprised of a board of directors from DC and Virginia. As such, DC is indeed a stakeholder in the operation of National Airport. Should DC get the urge to influence anything unconventional at National, Congress could indeed step in and override. That was my point. The fact that the airport is in Arlington is irrelevant.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I don't think the federal government should be involved in providing, measuring or discussing school lunches in any way shape or form.

School districts are local entities which should be left alone by the feds.

Left the federal government defend the borders, not measure milk.

That way the $1 that gets shipped to Washington to be returned as a few dimes to the school district can actually be left in the district to be put to good use.

Would you agree?
That was just the intro to the article that I posted a link for. You obviously didn't read the entire article. Unless you did read it and this point is the only thing that you are in disagreement with.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 07-24-2009 at 11:59 AM..

Old 07-24-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
is that how you reply when someone tells the truth via facts? Do facts derail you that much?

Old 07-24-2009, 12:15 PM

439 posts, read 444,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
That was just the intro to the article that I posted a link for. You obviously didn't read the entire article. Unless you did read it and this point is the only thing that you are in disagreement with.
I'm sure that Reagan did plenty of boneheaded things. And so did the people who worked for him.

And he was still head and shoulders above the alternative offered by Democrats.

Jimmy Carter for re-election? Are you kidding me? No wonder Reagan won 45 states.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:33 PM
obo

916 posts, read 989,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
"IF"???????

Tell that to W. The money was gone and they were buried in debt before he left office.

W accumulated more deficit from 2000-2008 than his predecessors did from 1776-2000. That is history, and cannot be spun.
yeah? and 0bama accumulated more debt than ALL of them combined in 6 months! You're point is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies