Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 04:31 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,100,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
Dude. Facts are facts, if one can truly substantiate them. But there is so much disinformation out there that proving things is difficult, if not impossible. Where are you getting your supposed facts from and why are you so sure they are accurate? Seems to me that to label and generalize as you have here, is an example of exactly what you are presumably railing against. It does not show intelligence. It shows close minded, simplistic thinking. As in hearing someone say, "That's how "those people" are" when speaking of some definitive group." It's ridiculous and wouldn't win a first grade debate.

It's really hard to respond to someone that uses the term "dude"". I automatically assume they are 15 yrs. old. It makes it even harder because I am a female, not a dude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 04:42 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,726,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
It's really hard to respond to someone that uses the term "dude"". I automatically assume they are 15 yrs. old. It makes it even harder because I am a female, not a dude.
Oops. Dude is unisex now anyway. Sorry dudette! And I probably am emotionally 15 but I'd have it no other way. Intellectually well beyond that I think. And I stand by my assessment that your generalizations, and the lion's share of them in this thread, of left and or right are ridiculous.

Refer to your post #60 for the basis of my opinion.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:44 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,968,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I see that you have read "Common Sense". In case you haven't you may want to read the Payne book by the same title that appears in the Beck version. Most people who haven't read the book, either version, really don't know what Beck really is trying to say. Most who avoided the book from the first tended to be lefties who believed all the lefty propaganda about the Beck version. That is what kept you from it, I think.
No I did not support the man by buying his books. The reason is simple, I have listened to him, more than once, he panders to his audiance and his thinking is by no mans balanced or fair IMO. Half rtuths are not the whole truth, only some of his sheep believe the man is feeding them the entire picture, but that is what loyal fans do, questioning is discouraged.
Casper

Old 03-02-2010, 04:47 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,968,744 times
Quote:
The underlined is the differance between a liberal and a conservative. The liberal turns their back, shuts down the brain and obeys the propaganda and joins in the group-think. The conservatives ears perk up and wants to hear the other idea before it is dismissed. They want to decide for themselves.
Really, that describes what many Liberals and Independents think of the "conservatives" these days. Guess it depends on ones POV.
Casper

Old 03-02-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
Oops. Dude is unisex now anyway. Sorry dudette! And I probably am emotionally 15 but I'd have it no other way. Intellectually well beyond that I think. And I stand by my assessment that your generalizations, and the lion's share of them in this thread, of left and or right are ridiculous.

Refer to your post #60 for the basis of my opinion.

From the far left to the far right there are countless views and nuances in between but there is a majority (conservative-liberal) that rather fall in line on their views. You have to generalize or you would have to write a book identifying each individual. If you are an adult and half-azzed intelligent, you read a post, say to yourself, "no that's not me" and pass it by. It's easy to do. I do it all the time in post after post where liberals generalize. I don't care that they do, it is expedient. I do think liberals react more emotionally to things and take things more personal. It is probably a big factor in what separates us.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Really, that describes what many Liberals and Independents think of the "conservatives" these days. Guess it depends on ones POV.
Casper

I don't think so. One of the biggest reason I watch Fox News is because I want to hear as many opinions as possible and they are the only news source that provides that. My favorite programs are where they have conservatives, liberals and moderates debating. It is what attracts most to Fox News. I rarely agreed with Alan Colmes (liberals) but I do miss his commentary. Bob Beckel (far left liberal) is over the top and approaches things more like the standard hater so I don't watch Hannity much anymore.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:54 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,327,777 times
the hemmorroid with ears- id rather read the ingredients label in everything i have in my house than anything from that imbecile.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
From the far left to the far right there are countless views and nuances in between but there is a majority (conservative-liberal) that rather fall in line on their views. You have to generalize or you would have to write a book identifying each individual. If you are an adult and half-azzed intelligent, you read a post, say to yourself, "no that's not me" and pass it by. It's easy to do. I do it all the time in post after post where liberals generalize. I don't care that they do, it is expedient. I do think liberals react more emotionally to things and take things more personal. It is probably a big factor in what separates us.
This is a well written post. It comes off as rational, well thought out and mostly respectful. IMO, not like post # 60 that comes off possessing a trait you apply to liberals ("I do think liberals react more emotionally to things and take things more personal."). I can read this post. Agree or disagree. Add to it in a constructive way. Way cool!

BTW, I too accept generalizations as they are often necessary for productive discussions as long as the generalizations are accurate, for the most part. My experience is that the majority of us fall closer to the middle, not at the extremes, like outlets such as Fox and MSNBC would have us believe. I tend to think that their's is a device to divide us and keep us in check, like partisan politics in general. It's kind of like a company that creates another product to compete against its own product. It develops a competition / interest where there would otherwise be none.

Now, for discussions sake...You say, "If you are an adult and half-azzed intelligent, you read a post, say to yourself, "no that's not me" and pass it by." First off, I deserve the beginning of that to some degree as I was a bit flippant in my responses to you. BTW, "half-azzed intelligent" is pretty funny to me. I'm not sure what it means so maybe it does apply to me. Past that, I completely disagree. If I passed on every contrary opinion and only responded where I agreed, what would be learned? By any of us? There would be no dialogue. No debate. No learning. Just mutual admiration. That's fine and dandy for a post on something like "Why I like Dogs" "Tell Us Why You Love Glenn Beck". I'd really have no business going in there and bashing dogs or pundits. But politics? It's ripe for discussion. Isn't it?

Lastly, it would appear that your opinion of emotional liberals is in contrast to logical conservatives. I guess the assumption is that conservatives make better, more informed decisions kind of like the generalization of men versus women (one perceived as more emotional than the other). There may be truth in these assumptions but it's something I won't argue other than that I think one may be an overgeneralization. IMO, the people I know, who are more extreme in their political views, are very passionate and quite frankly emotional, about their positions. The more extreme they are, the less tolerant they tend to be of contrary opinions. All the way up to being totally dogmatic and exhibiting the traits of fundamentalists. Of course, I am generalizing when I say this.

Respectfully. Mr. Floyd

Last edited by Mr Floyd; 03-03-2010 at 10:41 AM..

Old 03-03-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I don't think so. One of the biggest reason I watch Fox News is because I want to hear as many opinions as possible and they are the only news source that provides that. My favorite programs are where they have conservatives, liberals and moderates debating. It is what attracts most to Fox News. I rarely agreed with Alan Colmes (liberals) but I do miss his commentary. Bob Beckel (far left liberal) is over the top and approaches things more like the standard hater so I don't watch Hannity much anymore.
Balanced is good. Is it acheived often enough to mention?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies