Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 12:54 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,800,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I would think that the word "regulated" had the same meaning back then, as it does now. Agree?
Nope. See my explanation and reference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 12:56 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,451,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo99 View Post
Jumping in Pools: Sotomayor: Gun Ownership "Unconstitutional"

Wow. This is a terrible choice in my opinion if she can truly believe this garbage.
Going to need to come up with a much more reliable source. The first line in the paragraph you quoted states:

"Sotomayor is a graduate from Princeton University, where her legal theses included..."

Sotomayor received her undergrad education at Princeton and her JD from Yale. I question the reliability of a story that has that large of an error.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:05 PM

256 posts, read 843,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
The Supreme Court disagreed! They actually held that, no, even though there was no way for a woman to know that she was being discriminated against until she found out, she could only go back 180 days! So if you have been discrminated against for 20 years, you only get to go back 6 months... can you see how that would be devastating to women and how that lets the company get off almost scot-free?

Well, in that situation, I do think that a diverse court that would be impacted by such a decision would have reached a different conclusion. So, when Judge Sotamayor talks about her ethnicity, it does not mean that it makes her a better judge, but that her background gives her more insight into the real-world impact of these decisions that, frankly, a rich white male may not "get."

she agreed to the salary she was getting paid. the company does not have to give her a raise if they dont want to.

Its not fair to expect the company to pay her extra wages from the past 10 or 20 or 30 however many years she has been working there.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:08 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,743,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B. Fury View Post
Typical liberal. A day late and a dollar short. Someone should clue her in about the recent gun ownership ruling. Her thought's about the subject are now irrelevant.
Actually, it's the "typical conservatives" who are a day late and a dollar short, because they're quoting something she wrote 30 years ago in a college paper. The law is now settled on the issue.

P.S. Vsmoove, I had to spell it out or he'd never get it.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:09 PM

968 posts, read 1,041,217 times
Anyone here familiar with the wording of the 2nd Amendment? Anyone familiar with why the 2nd Amendment was included in the Bill of Rights? Anyone here familiar with the Supreme Court's 1939 decision in United States v. Miller? That was the first, and until very recently, the only case in which the Supreme Court had directly ruled about meaning of the 2nd Amendment. They held that the Second Amendment protects a collective right rather than an individual right and that regulation of individual gun ownership should be left to the states to decide.

In striking down Washington D.C.'s handgun ban by a 5-4 vote, the Supreme Court's 2008 decision in D.C. v. Heller held for the first time that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to keep and bear arms, whether or not associated with a state militia.

I agree with the way the 2nd Amendment was interpreted from the founding of the US until 2008, I agree with the 1939 ruling, I agree with the 4 dissenters on the D.C. v. Heller ruling, and I agree with Sonia Sotomayor.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:11 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,230,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Time to learn how to reload and IGNORE whether the government says it's ok or not.
They will attempt to control reloading materials too. This appointment must be stopped.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:13 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,250,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Actually, it's the "typical conservatives" who are a day late and a dollar short, because they're quoting something she wrote 30 years ago in a college paper. The law is now settled on the issue.

P.S. Vsmoove, I had to spell it out or he'd never get it.
LOLOL... thanks.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:14 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,230,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33;8991107
I agree with the way the 2nd Amendment was interpreted from the founding of the US until 2008, I agree with the 1939 ruling, I agree with the 4 dissenters on the [I
D.C. v. Heller [/i]ruling, and I agree with Sonia Sotomayor.
Then you agree with losing your liberty and becoming a slave.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:16 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,250,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo99 View Post
she agreed to the salary she was getting paid. the company does not have to give her a raise if they dont want to.

Its not fair to expect the company to pay her extra wages from the past 10 or 20 or 30 however many years she has been working there.
Right... the old "she should have left" argument... even though she didn't know she was being discriminated against... you just proved the point as to why a diverse Court is necessary.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:17 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,996,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Going to need to come up with a much more reliable source. The first line in the paragraph you quoted states:

"Sotomayor is a graduate from Princeton University, where her legal theses included..."

Sotomayor received her undergrad education at Princeton and her JD from Yale. I question the reliability of a story that has that large of an error.
I agree.

I hate wasting time in threads whose source of data is a blog.

People can write whatever they want in blogs, and spin them to sound any way they want.

And speaking her attending Princeton ... Sotomayer graduated 1st in her class. She has to be a pretty smart woman to graduate at the top of an Ivy League school, where her fellow graduating students are amongst the brightest in the country.

She grew up in a housing project, and managed to rise to level of a Supreme Court nominee. That is a truly impressive story.

Her brother became a doctor, so she comes from a hard-working family.

She seems like an excellent pick for the Supreme Court!

Once again, Obama has proven himself to be exactly the type of president I had hoped he would be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies