Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 02:08 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times

Advertisements

[quote=shorebaby;8464035]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Why Torture Doesn't Work
By Brigader General David R. Irvine

Craig Murray - Why Torture Doesn't Work (http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2005/11/why_torture_doe_1.html - broken link)

What I find suspect is that many techiniques had sexual and sadistic overtones. Bush has a history since childhood of having sadistic tendencies. Cheney is just not even human let alone humane. These chickenhawks got ther jolies watching other people suffer.

If anyone has not seen "Torturing Democracy" in its entirety, you need to.

The problem is that if you are being tortured, you will admit to anything anyway...quite unreliable.

Try telling Obama's top intelligence official.

Intel director: High-value info obtained

ot

Tell that to McCain

Creative Minority Report: "...and they broke me."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 02:09 PM

20,346 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
I think its going to be a long four years with Barack, then a long four years, maybe eight, with the next guy.

And the silly BS will just go on and on...
Unfortunately, I think you're right.

Politics is now a sport for the connected and well heeled to be viewed by those that subscribe to People Magazine and get their "news" from the Comedy Channel.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:13 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,443,595 times
As a "lefty" (I guess) I could care less if Pelosi and co. are involved. Not really sure what you would charge them with though, since they didn't give orders themselves, but hey, there it is.

Just because some of you all fall into lock-step with your party, doesn't man everyone on the left does too.

And ya know what? For me, I don't much care if Bush and co. are actually prosecuted for it. I am more interested in getting this out in the open, and enacting specific legislation so that it can't happen again, than I am for revenge.

I know that not thirsting for revenge is a foreign thought for many on the right, but that's how I feel.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:43 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,755,586 times
Quote:
Excuse me for saying so, but Ghandi tactics are not acceptable here. Atrocities were committed in our name and "just letting it go" is not an honorable, truthful or dutiful option. We cannot have this as part of a foundation for rebuilding our nation and respect for ourselves. George Washington was determined to try and punish any soldier that went against his no torture policy, so why should we not hold ourselves to the same moral compass?
Would you also have supported criminal prosecution of the FDR administration for the issuance and implementation of executive order 9066? Certainly the Japanese internment was a far, far greater black eye in the history of this country than the recent water boarding. Or, since FDR died in office, would you have supported bringing war crimes charges against Truman for allowing the bombing of Dresden?

I don't support torture at all, and I would like to see this all out in the open, but you lose me when you start talking about charging the previous administration as criminals.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:46 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,845,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
A sitting administration going after a past administration for political gain is not in the best interests of the taxpayers.
A sitting administration going after a past administration will prove to be a disaster for the sitting administration.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:51 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,845,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
If they new what they were approving them lock them up regardless of party. We are a nation that doesn't torture.
But we are a nation that executes it's own citizens.
Would you advocate criminal prosecution for that?

Old 04-22-2009, 02:52 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
I know what you're saying, and I agree about the parties, but is going to have to be more of a slam dunk than this to get people to see that both parties are the same. I think an investigation of the shenanigans behind TARP and the stimulus might be more effective, seeing as how presidents from both parties were involved.
While I agree the recent economic rape of America demands that heads actually roll, I don't consider the fairyland of human economics to trump life and limb. Nothing is worse than torture. Sure, it ain't pretty, but to give it a pass is to condone it.

I also think you underestimate the ability of Americans to abandon failures like the Democratic and Republican parties. Sure, there will be those idiots who'll point across the aisle and assign blame to only one side just to fuel their battered egos, but these people will be outnumbered by the millions who want fresh independent leadership. At that point, I feel I will step forward myself...

Old 04-22-2009, 02:52 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
A sitting administration going after a past administration will prove to be a disaster for the sitting administration.
Agreed.

Liberals are notoriously short-sighted. Obama assumes that all will go well in the next 4/8 years, there will be no domestic terrorist attack, and no drastic measures will need to be taken to prevent such an attack. Nope, nothing bad will happen under Barry. That's why he thinks he can go after GWB without any need for such policies in the future.

Barry to the rescue.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:57 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Why do people view this in partisan terms? The Dem and Reps are NOT set in stone. There's nothing in the Constitution that says we have to have these two parties. Are people so brainwashed that they can't invent their own solutions? Do we have to allow ourselves to be raped every two years by this two-headed monster because we're too obese and lazy to come up with alternatives?

No one I know has an allegiance to ANY administration. Only the participants will hold such allegiance. The general population wants the truth and hopefully they'll be smart enough to realize the truth is good for EVERYBODY. It seems to me people are more afraid of what might come from this investigation because something (some party, some form of government, some economy, etc...) won't survive. That makes people uncomfortable.

But not nearly as uncomfortable as those we've tortured. Bring on the trials!

Old 04-22-2009, 05:22 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,371,619 times
Quote:
Just read the article and wondering if this is the same guy that PBS had a documentary about awhile back. The $hit might be hitting the fan and hopefully all of the guilty will be brought to justice. Actually, real justice would be for them to go thru some "enhanced interrogation" of their own.

It certainly is. This report has Rumsfeld and Cheney squealing like the little piggies they are.

Senate Report Links CIA To Military's Harsh Tactics : NPR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies