Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 11:11 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,460,349 times

Advertisements

The real irony in all this, is that we continue to hear conservatives extolling the virtues of "Red state" values (anti-immigration, anti-intellectual, anti-secular, anti-minority, anti-gay, anti-abortion, anti-regulation, anti-progress, etc., etc.).

But in truth Red states (and Red counties) are mostly dysfunctional failures, not only re: the Tax Dollars Received vs Paid equation, but just by looking at all the data showing that red states also have the highest rates of domestic violence, teen pregancy, illegitimacy, suicide, firearms death, alcohol abuse, low education, meth use, etc.

After 8 years of these "role models" at the helm, no wonder the country's in a mess!
Red State Babylon | vanityfair.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 11:17 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,787,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
Treated badly? You must be awful in person, then. I've lived in Cobb and Midtown (two opposite sides of every spectrum) and have never been treated badly. In fact, I've found it quite hospitable here. Must be you. I'm usually a fairly calm, rational person, but you make me envision aTOS violation, no personal attacks off just to get someone to pay attention to her.
You've got one heck of an imagination and it's pretty creepy you want me to live there. I was called a white she devil by strangers in cars driving past me on martin luther king jr blvd. Was it something I said when I was minding my own business?? I was refused service at a restaurant for being white. Should I have put shoe polish on my face to accomodate your antebellum customs?

My car was broken into and my luggage stolen. I was followed around by police prior to that break in, then they wouldn't show up to take a report afterwards. Theft is justifiable in atlanta if you don't like how someone looks when you drive past them, or is it a reserved privilege for cops to steal??? Savannah and decatur were the standard southern hospitality I've come to enjoy throughout my extensive traveling. You really shouldn't have asked the question if you couldn't live with the answer.

Meanwhile, back to reality, Atlanta is a bulls eye in this map. You've got more to worry about than your books. Good luck covering the taxes in your foreclosed neighborhood. Hey, you could always move to alaska. http://www.realtytrac.com/MapSearch/Georgia.html

Old 04-19-2009, 11:22 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
The real irony in all this, is that we continue to hear conservatives extolling the virtues of "Red state" values (anti-immigration, anti-intellectual, anti-secular, anti-minority, anti-gay, anti-abortion, anti-regulation, anti-progress, etc., etc.).

But in truth Red states (and Red counties) are mostly dysfunctional failures, not only re: the Tax Dollars Received vs Paid equation, but just by looking at all the data showing that red states also have the highest rates of domestic violence, teen pregancy, illegitimacy, suicide, firearms death, alcohol abuse, low education, meth use, etc.

After 8 years of these "role models" at the helm, no wonder the country's in a mess!
Do NOT unfairly associate all red states and red counties with these things in your second paragraph. The stats for my red state and red county are vastly different from anything you listed. My state is in the bottom third for tax dollars received vs. paid. We send far more money to Washington than we get back.

As far as personal views, I'm not (and WE are not) anti-immigration, merely anti-illegal immigration. HUGE difference there.

Anti-regulation promotes business and the economy. Good thing....it's why we're on top in the recession.

Anti-abortion...I am against it in most cases (but not all) because I view the child as a person. I'm also (it may surprise you) against the death penalty and unnecessary wars.

Don't go bashing the red states/counties and the people in them unless/until you know what you're talking about.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:29 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,612,951 times
Quote:

Quite right The tragic inability to assess & reason are aptly illustrated in the Republican South. The historic pattern is that "Yankee" intervention eventually imposes order & education in these Dixie regions [ie. human rights\ integration]. Being on the dole to the American people requires some progress in addressing bigotry & ignorance. We expect that from the Iraqis, why not obstinate Republicans as well?

Old 04-19-2009, 11:40 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Quite right The tragic inability to assess & reason are aptly illustrated in the Republican South. The historic pattern is that "Yankee" intervention eventually imposes order & education in these Dixie regions [ie. human rights\ integration]. Being on the dole to the American people requires some progress in addressing bigotry & ignorance. We expect that from the Iraqis, why not obstinate Republicans as well?

Old 04-19-2009, 11:42 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Looks like you're at it again.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:49 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,320,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I bet this year California will be very near the top, after all, arent they pretty much bankrupt?
You'd lose that bet because we still pay far more then we receive and no we're not any where close to bankrupt. The problem in the news was that the state legislature refused to pass a state budget because one side wouldn't agree to raise taxes and the other side wouldn't agree to cut spending. That's bad but it is a political problem and we're no more bankrupt then when Newt Gingrinch shut down the Federal government.

The solution is very simple, cut some & raise taxes because as a percentage of GDP the budget deficit isn't that high.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:08 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,787,059 times
Quote:

Quote:
"George W. understood stupid people well. They were not dumb, their minds were not physically crippled in any way. They had chosen to be stupid because that offered its own kind of power. To win a great many small contests of will, they needed only to ignore all evidence. Bright people would break down trying to argue with them." It's like trying to reason with a box of rocks.
I had a hairdresser a few months back who made it clear she was right wing. I didn't want to discuss politics, but she went on without me. She let me know how offended she was by another long time customer she lost when she spoke about Obama in her place of business. She was very angry. I didn't talk, but she was going on about how liberals shove things down her throat. She indoctrinated her customers as to the evils of unions. I didn't mention that the money that was paying her that day came from the union job I used to have early in my career. I paid her, but that door won't open again because professionalism isn't optional.

Look around at these threads. Hostility, beligerence, arrogance, entitlement. Willful blindness, but it's eating them alive. You'd think they just wanted everyone to be as miserable as they are. Not folks you'd want as neighbors. I'm glad my neighborhood didn't get stupid like this forum, or that hairdresser. There's a problem with people who need to have a war on everything.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:16 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
The Tax Foundation - Federal Spending Received Per Dollar of Taxes Paid by State, 2005

2005 Figures (A brief review of annual data from 1981 thru 2005 showed state rankings to be fairly consistent from year-to-year)

Federal Spending Received per Dollar of Taxes Paid

10 Biggest Receivers
1. New Mexico $2.03
2. Mississippi $2.02
3. Alaska $1.84
4. Louisiana $1.78
5. West Virginia $1.76
6. North Dakota $1.68
7. Alabama $1.66
8. South Dakota $1.53
9. Kentucky $1.51
10. Virginia $1.51

10 Biggest Donators
1. New Jersey $0.61
2. Nevada $0.65
3. Connecticut $0.69
4. New Hampshire $0.71
5. Minnesota $0.72
6. Illinois $0.75
7. Delaware $0.77
8. California $0.78
9. New York $0.79
10. Colorado $0.81
Quote:
They can invite politicians from the at least 10 other states that are also considering major tax hikes, including Oregon, Illinois, Wisconsin, Washington, Arizona and New Jersey. One explicit argument for the $787 billion "stimulus" bill was to help states avoid these tax increases that even Keynesians understand are contractionary. Instead, the state politicians are pocketing the federal cash to maintain spending, and raising taxes anyway. Just another spend-and-tax bait and switch.
New York Taxes Are the Highest in the Country - WSJ.com

I'm guessing there will be an exodus totally throwing the tax grabbers for a loop.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:19 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,868,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I had a hairdresser a few months back who made it clear she was right wing. I didn't want to discuss politics, but she went on without me. She let me know how offended she was by another long time customer she lost when she spoke about Obama in her place of business. She was very angry. I didn't talk, but she was going on about how liberals shove things down her throat. She indoctrinated her customers as to the evils of unions. I didn't mention that the money that was paying her that day came from the union job I used to have early in my career. I paid her,
Minus the gratuity, i hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies