Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 11:15 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis702 View Post
How is it bunk? In general, more urban blue states are more productive for the economy and, yes, create more wealth. They also, in general, get less federal "pork" per capita than more rural red states.
I note how you very carefully claimed "pork per capita" not pork.. right.. got ya..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 11:31 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
As I said before, charts, tables, etc. can be quite misleading depending on how they are presented. The same can be said about per-capita data on crime, sexual abuse, etc.

I am not a Republican, nor a Democrat but can clearly see that a lot of the poorest areas in the nation, and the ghettos of the inner cities, have a lot of inhabitants and are mostly governed not by conservatives. Don't believe me? Start with Washington, DC, Louisiana, the ghettos in NY, CA, and other major cities. These poor, which include illegal immigrants from around the world, receive all kinds of help from local and Federal governments.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:32 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,192,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
No surprize the red states aren't carrying their weight.. MAybe we would be better off we let them go?

how would you protect the USA if they left? most of the military comes from those states, plus the fact that almost all of the ICBM's are in red states.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:02 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
how would you protect the USA if they left? most of the military comes from those states, plus the fact that almost all of the ICBM's are in red states.
I looked briefly at the statistics (recruit-to-population ratio) on that and while I need to dig in to it deeper, you appear to be generally on target. I think Montana was #1 and interestingly next-door neighbor, North Dakota was #50. New Jersey was #46. Why do you think that is and what does it mean?

Old 04-18-2009, 01:10 PM

37,795 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Take from the rich and give to the poor. I'm thinking all of the libs in those donating states are for this as they fork over their tax money.

Now if my local community college can just get some of Harvard's wealth from those high ivy league tuitions and alumni largesse, we'll be good to go.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:29 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,531,821 times
Quote:
Considering that the Pentagon with its enormous expenditures is located in Washington D.C., that ratio should not be surprising. Washington D.C. actually has a relatively small population of 600,000. The only "state" with a smaller population is Wyoming.
Read my post a few pages back. The Pentagon is in NoVA, Arlington to be exact. It's not in DC. Accordingly, the money spent there is counted towards Virginia's total.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:32 PM

749 posts, read 946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
The Tax Foundation - Federal Spending Received Per Dollar of Taxes Paid by State, 2005

2005 Figures (A brief review of annual data from 1981 thru 2005 showed state rankings to be fairly consistent from year-to-year)

Federal Spending Received per Dollar of Taxes Paid

10 Biggest Receivers
1. New Mexico $2.03
2. Mississippi $2.02
3. Alaska $1.84
4. Louisiana $1.78
5. West Virginia $1.76
6. North Dakota $1.68
7. Alabama $1.66
8. South Dakota $1.53
9. Kentucky $1.51
10. Virginia $1.51

10 Biggest Donators
1. New Jersey $0.61
2. Nevada $0.65
3. Connecticut $0.69
4. New Hampshire $0.71
5. Minnesota $0.72
6. Illinois $0.75
7. Delaware $0.77
8. California $0.78
9. New York $0.79
10. Colorado $0.81

It figures you would post out of date data to make your point.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:07 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,531,821 times
Quote:
How is it bunk? In general, more urban blue states are more productive for the economy and, yes, create more wealth. They also, in general, get less federal "pork" per capita than more rural red states.
The incomes in these states are higher, yes, but that doesn't mean higher productivity. The price of goods are also higher. In California, for instance, you have incomes in the 60Ks while the average house for much of that time was ~500K. In LA more specifically, the average income was 50K for a household, while the cost of a home was ~500K. This is severe asset price inflation compared to incomes, which means there is a deadweight loss somewhere. Many of these states have higher incomes because of deadweight loss. Basically, you need more money to pay for certain regulations and taxes or else it becomes harder to live there. Thus incomes are propped up artificially to cover minimum expenses, which causes businesses to raise prices. That's why people who were making 70K in some of these housing bubbles were "poor" and thought they couldn't make it. That's why many of the people can't qualify for temporary government services when they are needed.

In short: when prices of assets exceed incomes by a high amount, you're usually not as productive as you should be because you're unable to provide an affordable equilibrium price for your citizens.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:15 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,390,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis702 View Post
Considering that the Pentagon with its enormous expenditures is located in Washington D.C., that ratio should not be surprising. Washington D.C. actually has a relatively small population of 600,000. The only "state" with a smaller population is Wyoming.
No doubt but if liberals are going to play the game that we're going to ignore the context of the report, I'm just wondering why they can't asnwer for DC by the same standards.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:58 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgibbs42 View Post
It figures you would post out of date data to make your point.
They are the most recent available and three years is hardly ancient news, if you would have taken the time to check the site, you'd see that the past 25 years results remain fairly consistent. But YOU will believe whatever you want as that is your nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies