Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:29 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,487,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Except as YOU stated " Where there is profit, there will be criminals. "

Funny thing is,this whole pirate problem is caused by gun control....

Commercial shipping has been disarmed for various reasons,making it the helpless victim.
It's all caused by gun control???..It's caused by a failed state and no hope of ever having anything. If you think guns are going to stop pirates, you're insane. Guns don't stop criminals on American streets, why would they stop criminals in international waters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 02:31 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,121,714 times
Quote:
My premise?

That this new distraction is far from over although it could be easily solved or at least reduced without the need for the invasion of Somalia....

Of course a nice little conflict works wonders in distracting people.
This new distraction? The US has been patrolling the Gulf of Aden, Arabian Sea, Indian Ocean and the Red Sea since 2002 as a part of counter-terrorism and anti-piracy operations since 2002.

Its nice to see you catching up to the news, which allows me to judge this as just another "nobama" troll attempt and as such I can safely ignore in the future.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:32 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,904,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
It's all caused by gun control???..It's caused by a failed state and no hope of ever having anything.
Straits of Malacca....look it up in regards to piracy then get back to the thread.

Quote:
If you think guns are going to stop pirates, you're insane.
The pirates were killed by.....guns.

Quote:
Guns don't stop criminals on American streets, why would they stop criminals in international waters?
What do you carry a firearm for?I am sure it is because you might be dealing with......criminals.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:33 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,904,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
This new distraction? The US has been patrolling the Gulf of Aden, Arabian Sea, Indian Ocean and the Red Sea since 2002 as a part of counter-terrorism and anti-piracy operations since 2002.

Its nice to see you catching up to the news, which allows me to judge this as just another "nobama" troll attempt and as such I can safely ignore in the future.
And it was not really an important issue....now it is.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:42 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,619,898 times
Quote:
There is no Somalian government in power.
There is a transitional government in place, but it does not control very much of Somalia and has no coast guard or navy resources.

Quote:
Somalia's territorial waters do not extend into international shipping routes.
Agreed, that is why I mentioned that piracy of vessels outside of the territorial waters and non-fishing vessels anywhere are not justifiable as a protective action.

Quote:
If there are no fish what are these poachers catching?
Did not say there were completely gone, just greatly depleted. Still it is a better long term strategy to empty your neighbor's resources before harvesting your own if you can get away with it.

Quote:
Piracy pays much better than fishing.
Agreed. That is my point. Any legitimacy of the pirating lifestyle comes from protection of resources that are no longer being protected by the government. Any piracy actions against innocent shipping moves from the protectionist realm and into the criminal realm. It has been pointed out by the media that the piracy is viewed by the Somali people as a legitmate lifestyle as a result of the loss of their fishing industry. I can see a limited amount of value in that argument up to the point they attack outside of their territory and against legal shipping activities. At that point it just becomes organized crime and no longer a vigiliante action.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:47 PM

393 posts, read 1,189,976 times
I'm sure there will be more to come.
Once you show you are a weak...you know the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies