Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 01:15 PM

1,046 posts, read 2,398,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Is "hmmmmmmmm" something wingnuts use when they have nothing important to say?
No, its something rotary engines say while the piston engines go "boing, boing, boing." Don't you remember the Mazda ads from the early 70s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 01:16 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,629,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post

Flowers and a reefer for all Obama supporters.
Cool, do you have some? Better than just turning around & going "BANG! BANG! BANG!" everytime you hear a noise behind you. Think first, then act.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:22 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,650,455 times
From my readings of news reports recently I have derived the following conclusions (if anyone has better information or contradictory facts I would be interested in knowing):

1. Somali has lost control of all of it's coastal waters and no longer patrols them for their national rights.

2. Fishing fleets from neighboring countries have invaded the Somali territorial waters without regard to the legalities and have over fished the region to the point that the local Somali fishing fleets are unable to make a living any longer.

3. The Somali locals have given up fishing and turned to piracy for a living.

4. The Somali warlords have taken control of the piracy industry to organize it into a profitable business venture.

Given these "facts", I cannot completely blame the Somalis for their actions against fishing vessels inside the 200 mile line off Somali's coast. That seems to be more vigilante justice in lieu of a national law enforcement agency. Given that they do not have the facilities, training and contacts to "enforce" international law concerning territorial waters they are resorting to the only regulatory and compensatory model they can conceive. They capture illegal fishing boats and demand ransom to deter and compensate for the lost fishing resources taken by these other nations.

I cannot condone, nor legitimize in any way the taking of vessels outside of the 200 mile international boundry, nor the taking of any non-fishing vessel irrespective of their location in relation to Somalia. These actions are not defensible as a self-protective activity but are only viewable as a criminal action aimed at profit.

I can somewhat understand the mindset of the locals participating in piracy since their livelyhoods have been taken away from them by foreign fishing fleets to retaliate by taking the fishing fleet profits away in return. I can see how the line blurs after a while and all ships start to look good. I cannot agree that crossing that line is acceptable, despite how tempting it is.

The Somalian pirates have abused their "rights" and now will have to be controlled. They have lost any legitimacy they might have claimed previously through these captures of cargo ships. Now that they have a spotlight on them, other nations will be more motivated to deal with them and will feel they have popular sentiment on their side to deal more cruelly with them.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:34 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,606,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Show us America's deed to the world.
Dont' need a "deed to the world". We just need to let it be known that there will be consequences when law abiding citizens are put in harms way or hamed. This, instead of just hoping for the best.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:52 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,951,865 times
There is no Somalian government in power.

Somalia's territorial waters do not extend into international shipping routes.

If there are no fish what are these poachers catching?

Piracy pays much better than fishing.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:54 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,245,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
That just as the events in Mogadishu stirred up a hornets nest in 1993 so could this,especially since there have been calls for going ashore.

Oh goodness could this be another one of those Obama can't win threads, as in; Obama does nothing to free American hostage which then morphs into, Obama frees hostage and causes more hostages to be taken sort of arguing out of two sides of your conservative mouth arguments?

Old 04-14-2009, 01:57 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,499,984 times
Quote:
Tank1906:

Because the Pirates stated as much???

Because up until recently nothing had been done to the Pirates??

By your last sentence,do you think that criminals will simply continue to break the law no matter what??
We have 1000s of drug offenders in jail and I don't see it stopping. Where there is profit, there will be criminals.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:58 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,951,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
We have 1000s of drug offenders in jail and I don't see it stopping. Where there is profit, there will be criminals.
SO any form of gun control is pointless in your opinion....

As you just wrote, "Where there is profit, there will be criminals".

Old 04-14-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Oh goodness could this be another one of those Obama can't win threads, as in; Obama does nothing to free American hostage which then morphs into, Obama frees hostage and causes more hostages to be taken sort of arguing out of two sides of your conservative mouth arguments?
You're good at summing up bullshet..I wish I was so eloquent.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
SO any form of gun control is pointless in your opinion....

As you just wrote, "Where there is profit, there will be criminals".

Nope..Guns don't prevent crime..If they did, cemetaries wouldn't be full of drug dealers..Nice try..Wrong thread.."Where there are guns there will be wingnuts"..LOL!!

Don't try to distract us from this worthless thread..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies