Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 10:17 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,308,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I'll let this masterpiece of irony speak for itself, no need to clutter something like this up with commentary.

Don't get mad at me because your jealous of the military. Sorry if you couldn't make it but it's sad you feel you need to put us down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 05:58 AM

52 posts, read 87,836 times
I love the fact that some people can still live in a fantasy world that actually believes that is 2 oceans and idustrial power that keep us safe and free. Hmmmm.....wonder where those oceans were at Pearl Harbor? Must have taken a vacation? Or that industrial power during 9/11? Never mind to those battle groups that are patrolling those 2 oceans....... No of course it has absolutely nothing to do with the sailors, marines, soldiers or airman. They just put on battle gear to look pretty. Unbelievable. But then again regardless of what some may believe it is that military that give you the right to put them down. I apologize for this but it is because of beliefs like "2 oceans and industrial power" and the negative comments on the military and what they are sworn to do that are helping the country go to h*** in a hand basket. They are too blinded by their own whimsical world that they can't even begin to comprehend what it all really means. That they have the audacity to actually believe that our military has absolutely nothing to do with what they have now and what their children will have in the future. Go to Arlington. Go to war memorials. Read history books. And take your head out of the sand.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:08 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,528,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahv View Post
I love the fact that some people can still live in a fantasy world that actually believes that is 2 oceans and idustrial power that keep us safe and free. Hmmmm.....wonder where those oceans were at Pearl Harbor?
Surely you've noticed that Pearl Harbor was in the middle of one of those oceans, on one of our stolen colonial territories?

Quote:
Must have taken a vacation? Or that industrial power during 9/11?
9/11, as horrible as it was, was a one-off atrocity, not a threat to the country's freedom.

Quote:
I apologize for this but it is because of beliefs like "2 oceans and industrial power" and the negative comments on the military and what they are sworn to do that are helping the country go to h*** in a hand basket.
The military actually makes us less secure, by enabling aggression against other nations by the thugs and criminals in power in Washington.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:25 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,308,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post

The military actually makes us less secure, by enabling aggression against other nations by the thugs and criminals in power in Washington.
So you would say we are better off with no military? Would you be able to sleep if they got rid of the police? Would crime go away if the police were gone? Don't think so.

The military is the weapon we have to defend ourselves from attack, if you get rid of it just throw in the towel. From your own post the problem isn't the military but those who are in charge of it. I just am thankful it's not a french Canadian cause then we'd be up sh&$ creek for sure.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:19 PM

946 posts, read 2,612,816 times
I don't think the poster meant we should eliminate the military--of course we need a military. But we don't need a military designed for force projection and offensive action, with military bases in 87 countries and a budget larger than all the rest of the world's defense forces combined. We don't need a military that has a bloated defense budget--I see this as a restoration to where our military funding should be. We use nuclear powered subs to launch cruise missiles, but it hasn't helped us catch Bin Laden. We have 11 or 12 nuclear powered carrier groups, the largest ocean-borne firepower ever mustered in our planet's history, and it took some guys with rifles to solve our latest naval problem. Even with our unmatched technological edge, we are still fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan 8 years later. When your only tool is a cruise missile, every problem looks like an Afghan wedding. (Sorry, couldn't resist that bit of snark). But this is the root of our problem--using our technology often creates its own insurmountable problems. This is not limited to any political party (witness Clinton's launch of 100 cruise missiles into Afghanistan and Africa on the morning he was to testify regarding Monica and Obama's continued missile strikes in the Banastans). Our current authorization to use military force has been used to justify a war in Afghanistan, a war in Iraq, covert action in Iran, and air strikes in Somali and Pakistan, all this lasting almost a decade. The state of our military makes its use seductive and easy but rarely solves our problems.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:31 PM

645 posts, read 1,969,627 times
This thread is full of fail.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:25 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,528,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
So you would say we are better off with no military?
We'd be better off if nobody volunteered for the military until the civilians running it got their s*** together and stopped trying to run the world. We've taken a few steps in that direction recently, but not nearly enough.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:10 PM

946 posts, read 2,612,816 times
Default Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo31 View Post
This thread is full of fail.
I spent 3 years as a U.S. Army paratrooper and I've lived and worked around the world. Partly as a result of those experiences, I'm proud of America and the opportunities it offers. Also as a result of those experiences (including a tour of Honduras where I came into contact with Contras, which led me to read and study the U.S.'s involvement in Central America) I have real concerns and objections to the way our military operates. One (large) area we've continually stumbled over is our foreign policy and the military's role in achieving those objectives. A Vietnamese (general? politician?) depicted our efforts in that country as "trying to eat soup with a fork." From my view, we are still pursuing this path with the same results. I hope we can change course and not put our military in no-win situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies