Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:55 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,695,683 times

Advertisements

From latimes.com:

He had pledged during the presidential campaign to end the controversial trials of terrorism suspects. Human rights groups are outraged.

By Julian E. Barnes
Los Angeles Times

Reporting from Washington -- The Obama administration will announce plans today to revive the Bush-era military commission system for prosecuting terrorism suspects, current and former officials said, reversing a campaign pledge to rely instead on federal courts and the traditional military justice system.

Word of the decision infuriated human rights groups, which argued that any trials under the system created by President George W. Bush would be widely viewed as tainted. They said President Obama was duplicating Bush's mistakes.

The announcement would follow other moves by Obama that have disappointed his administration's liberal allies but heartened Bush supporters, including his decisions to withhold photos depicting alleged abuse of detainees by U.S. soldiers and to retain the option of using a limited form of rendition, the practice of turning terrorism suspects over to other countries for questioning.

Obama to renew military tribunals - Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 10:57 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,695,683 times
He's disappointing liberals, but will the Obama bashers give him any credit for this move? If the attitudes on this forum are any indication of the real world, I seriously doubt it.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:11 PM

52,692 posts, read 34,613,318 times
i will. an excellent decision by bammers.

however, the BDS sufferers will ignore this while continuing to squall about bush doing the same thing.

hadn't seen this yet:
Quote:
and to retain the option of using a limited form of rendition, the practice of turning terrorism suspects over to other countries for questioning.
dang. how much more bad news can the 'bots take?

Old 05-15-2009, 05:24 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,478,082 times
I didn't support them under Bush and I don't support them now.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:30 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,984,873 times
Isn't it funny how the rhetoric of a campaign just doesn't fit with the realities when in office?

Where are the howls of outrage from the lefties?

I know, it's different now, right? He doesn't have a choice, right? He'll be nicer to them, right?

Old 01-26-2010, 12:34 PM

918 posts, read 817,697 times
Default Pardon me if I'm a Doubting Thomas on this

..., because I can explain his behavior up to now in preferring a civilian trial. Aside from the obvious fact that there are many more defense challenges available how about trying this on for size.

People cannot understand why Obama would direct his AG to have criminal charges filed against a terrorist in the civilian courts for trial. That's what they were set up for. They are legal. The USSC has only required that formal charges be lodged against them in support of their habeas corpus rights.

Aside from the fact that all charges could be subject to dismissal for not having administered Miranda rights prior to questioning OR that all information garnered without Miranda rights having been adminstered being ruled inadmissable, there is one other factor to consider.

There is a significant difference though between a guilty conviction, carrying a mandatory sentence for a capital crime of murder, in a military tribunal court and in a civilian court.

In a civilian court, if convicted and sentenced to death be execution, the President is NOT required to affirm the sentence by actually signing the death warrant AND has the right to commutation of sentence.

In a military tribunal proceeding, given the same sentence, the President IS required to actually sign the death warrant as he is the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the USA.
[Auth: UCMJ_ Sec. 871.; ART. 71; Def. (a)]

Under the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice) his case would go to a general court martial and be heard by a panel of 12 officers, all of whom have to outrank him. [Auth: UCMJ_Sec. 825; Art. 25; Def. (d)(1)]

Aside from the commutation of any sentence in a civilian trail, the exercising of such would be viewed as the Oba-appeasement default gesture of a deep bow to the Muslim world and nothing changes save the Islamofascist nutjobs committment to jihad, our extermination or subjugation and Obama showing the entire world our weakness.

This current topic post subject is PURELY political strategy as the Oba-monster sees his support among the populace waning at an alarming rate. He also is astute enough to privately see that his congressional demonRAT enablers are getting, as I predicted they would, weak in the knees the closer to the First Tuesday in November we get.

I'll predict now that this is the reinforcement of a shism developing between his pit bull Emanuel and himself. The first sign being the miscalculation by The Rahm Man of the Brown victory and his not having sent demonRAT functionaries to Massachusetts to poison the waters politically for Brown. Obama has proven adept at throwing any liability under his bus and The Rahm Man would be a casualty who could be vindictive and come back to bite Obama. Especially now when for his own survival the Oba-monster is forced to make concessions to reality in spending/agendas to regain support. Rahm would perceive that as a weakness. Emanuel relishes the battle too much and cares little for the political agenda. He would not go quietly into the dark of night methinks.

It is obvious and known that this President has a Muslim background; has associated with Muslims; has a reluctance to define Muslim terrorists as what they are and by so doing has condoned an attitude that has infected our miltary. Never more obvious than not only the Hasan incident, but moreso the follow-up official Dept of the Army report by Tongued-tied Togo that fails to connect any of the REAL facts and name the REAL involvements in these murders

Old 01-26-2010, 12:37 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,148,098 times
I tell ya, that darned ole' George W. Bush is turning out to be the best wartime mentor a President could possibly have.

Too bad candidate Obama didn't have the "audacity" to acknowledge as much, but instead chose to lie for votes.

What does he know now that he didn't know then? Either he lied, or he's incompetent.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:40 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,705,713 times
Great, no one's going to notice the date of May '09...

Old 01-26-2010, 12:45 PM

918 posts, read 817,697 times
Default Yo sanrene!

Quote:
Isn't it funny how the rhetoric of a campaign just doesn't fit with the realities when in office?

Where are the howls of outrage from the lefties?

How about right here:
How to Squander the Presidency in One Year

which I also posted here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ge-scam-2.html comment #12

Old 01-26-2010, 12:47 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,301,225 times
Obama can continually abuse the lefties and just like battered wives with low self-esteem, they'll stand by their man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies