Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:17 PM

1,933 posts, read 1,825,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kootr View Post
are you obama supporters following obama's direction to spend money? Are you buying stuff to improve the economy and reduce unemployment?

Are you buying homes, cars, furniture, appliances, artwork, computers, televisions, carpet, jewelry, clothes, etc., etc., etc.?

If not, why aren't you?
yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 07:18 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,306,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'm buying a house,
as cheap as they are .... I mean, gotta help the economy
Excellent idea...especially in TX. Hard assets (if needed or wanted) are always good buys in the middle of a recession and before inflation kicks in.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:18 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
Nothing like dumpster-diving to save the environment. But I was actually talking about Obama wanting you to spend your money to save the economy...
Dumpster diving? LOL!! Nope, we buy stuff from the local auctions, stuff that was donated.

We spend what we can, but judiciously. No buying craptastic crap that we don't need. We buy the best quality we can afford. Oh, and paying our taxes - last year was so bad for us, employment-wise, that we had to raid our retirement accounts to live on (rather than seek assistance from the govt).

Old 02-26-2009, 07:19 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
What are you doing to help out the nation's economy?
You should read the next sentence after the one you made darker. Duh! I am spending money and it is none of your business what I am buying. The worst thing you can do in an economy like this is to stop spending.

I remember when I was a child a tv commercial about someone being afraid to spend. Everybody just needs to stop pushing the panic button and have faith. Some people have lost jobs and have a reason to conserve, but others are just in a panic for no reason.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:19 PM

226 posts, read 312,118 times
They are Obama supporters cause they got caught up in the hype and the word change

Old 02-26-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Out buying some foreclosed homes.
Your loss, my gain!!!
Good luck with it, but I don't think Michigan will have a favorable real estate market for a long, long....LONG time.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
You should read the next sentence after the one you made darker. Duh! I am spending money and it is none of your business what I am buying. The worst thing you can do in an economy like this is to stop spending.

I remember when I was a child a tv commercial about someone being afraid to spend. Everybody just needs to stop pushing the panic button and have faith.
Then please by all means - SPEND, SPEND and SPEND some more!!!

Old 02-26-2009, 07:58 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
It's a primitive economy that depends on people consuming as much as they possibly can just so it can stay afloat.

Sounds more like a cancer cell that grows simply for the sake of growing.

We can do better.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:54 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,495,347 times
Quote:
What are you doing to help out the nation's economy?
I'm no Obama supporter but I did buy my daily cup of senior discounted coffee at Mickey D's, does that count?

Old 02-26-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
I'm no Obama supporter but I did buy my daily cup of senior discounted coffee at Mickey D's, does that count?
Hahaha!!! I think Obama has a little bit more spending in mind.

There are over 11,000,000 people unemployed and expected to reach near 20,000,000 by year-end. And this does not count the people that are no longer looking for employment and/or no longer qualify for unemployment compensation. Some economists think the unemployment could go above 10% before it eventually peaks. Of course whenever there are layoffs it means a business is cutting back or going out-of-business. And when a business cuts backs it means they are making less profit (or reporting a loss) and they need to layoff employees to keep the doors open. And of course since people are scared of losing their jobs they don't spend money...and so it goes. It's a vicious domino effect.

What few dollars Obama's spending package will give [still] employed people ($13 a week in 2009 & $7.70 a week in 2010) will either be saved, used to pay down debt or used to purchase essentials (fuel, utilities, food, etc.) at higher prices. Sadly it won't be spent on anything to help with the recovery. And even more sad is most of Obama's spending package will not be used to improve businesses' profits and create jobs.

I'm sure McDonald's enjoyed seeing your smiling face this morning to buy your senior coffee. If you used the restroom to wash your hands or take a tinkle while you were there I suspect your purchase was unprofitable... Oh well, many other people will make up for the loss you created because they sure won't be eating at high-end restaurants like they used to do. They may even be eating sardines and saltine crackers, spam or dog food....

Enjoy your morning senior coffee at Mickey D's tomorrow morning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies