Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:18 AM

18,011 posts, read 15,722,176 times

Advertisements

The notion that civilian ownership of semi auto versions of sevice rifles in the US is related to the Mexican caetels weapons supply is ludicrous. It is nothing but wishful thinking on the part of We Hate Guns Inc. The trace backs requested by the Mexican government were for guns that were purchased by green carded migrant workers that they were trying to take back for personal use, not to sell to the cartels, what a convienient way to cook the books. Mexican law does not allow private citizens to own any weapon chambered for a MILITARY cartrige. Lol that covers a LOT of guns. Thus, those who legally can, purchase weapons up here, that chamber off beat calibers, (.38 Super is popular with Mexican buyers) that they can't find in Mexico and try to take them back when they head south. When they have to declare them at the border the Mexican cops track the gun back to it's source to make sure it was bought legally. These "trace backs" are coming from LEGAL purchases. Weapons that are marked US govt, are not legally purchased weapons, under US or Mexican law. .These were arms taken from the Mexican authorities. Mexican lw on firarms ownership is very repressive. Private citizens have VERY limited access to arms AND ammunition. Legally anyway. Works real good don't it?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 09:36 AM

76,959 posts, read 47,882,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
YET. Wait a little longer.

Assault weapons do sound much worse and after all, lefties have to start somewhere. First Assault weapons, then higher caliber rifles, then high caliber handguns, and so on. Always remember that once THEY started they will never stop again. They will take the weapons from honest people and never look back. The real problem for me is that if you refuse to give yours up they will come and try to take them by force at which time some will shoot the forces that come after their guns.

Civil war. Sure as all billy hell because most gun owners aren't going to let THEM take their guns from knowing what happened in Germany and the Soviet Union when people gave up their weapons.

It is estimated that 60 000 gun crimes were prevented by the ban during its 10 year duration. The ban reduced gun crime committed with such weapons by 17-72% depending on the state.

However, before the ban only 2-8% of gun crime overall was committed with such weapons. That's a pretty small precentage.

According to another study, the nation saw a 66% drop in gun crime involving AWs, but due to the small number of AW overall in gun crime the overall reduction in gun crime was apprx 3%.

So, I don't see the point in reactivating the ban. Or at least they have come up with a better excuse than the Mexico story.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:40 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,931,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is estimated that 60 000 gun crimes were prevented by the ban during its 10 year duration. The ban reduced gun crime committed with such weapons by 17-72% depending on the state.

However, before the ban only 2-8% of gun crime overall was committed with such weapons. That's a pretty small precentage.

According to another study, the nation saw a 66% drop in gun crime involving AWs, but due to the small number of AW overall in gun crime the overall reduction in gun crime was apprx 3%.

So, I don't see the point in reactivating the ban. Or at least they have come up with a better excuse than the Mexico story.
How does one estimate how many crimes were prevented?

Sounds like Obamas promise to prevent the losses of 3.5 million jobs...there is no real way of proving it.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
How does one estimate how many crimes were prevented?

Sounds like Obamas promise to prevent the losses of 3.5 million jobs...there is no real way of proving it.
I guess they took the overall gun crime (1.4 million) and looked at the number of those involving Assault Weapons before and after the ban and ended up with 60 000 in 10 years. I did not read the actual study, but only the summarized results.

But like most studies, it is based on assumptions, and the results are debatable. To me it proved that the ban is not worth it. They could also study how many home invasions were prevented by use of AWs.

Besides, only gang-bangers use AK-47 replicas to attack people, and they usually attack each other, so who cares.

Maybe the police officers care because they are often in the receiving end, and I'm sure they'd rather receive a 9mm pistol round than a AK-47 armor piercing bullet. And maybe people who live in gang infested neighborhoods care because the AK-47 rounds can travel though their houses and kill them during drive-by shootings.

So, some people might care, but vast majority do not care.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:08 AM

18,339 posts, read 26,614,308 times
Quote:

Actually the FBI (which was required by law to study the effects of the ban) found it had no measurable effect on crime.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
Because some police departments are OUTGUNNED. never bring a Glock 9MM to an assault rifle fight!
Most police departments have machine guns available for their use, which far outgun pistols and semi-autos anyday. Coincidentally, many of the guns the mexican drug smugglers have they got from the corrupt mexican police and military.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
In this case no evidence has been provided to the contrary that what the government has been reporting for several years now is in fact - true .

And it also makes common sense. And as one who works in Mexico and along the border extensively I actually know something about the subject... instead of relying on fringe websites for their sensationalist coverage.

If you want to believe that all the arms are coming from the old Soviet Union
and being smuggled in via Nicaragua and Honduras go right ahead, whatever helps you sleep at night. That is a pretty ridiculous scenario, but whatever floats your boat.
It's a very well known fact South America is full of illegal guns, some from the old USSR, some are from the U.S. government (sent to arm either governments, including Mexico's, or rebel groups we supported, and they found their way out).

Tell me just where those grenades are coming from, I want to know which gun shop...

Old 03-02-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Actually the FBI (which was required by law to study the effects of the ban) found it had no measurable effect on crime.
Are you sure it was not ATF? Because the second study which I mentioned relied on ATF data. Either way, the results were minimal.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Are you sure it was not ATF? Because the second study which I mentioned relied on ATF data. Either way, the results were minimal.
The Big Lie of the Assault Weapons Ban - Los Angeles Times

NRA-ILA :: Semi-Automatic Firearms and the “Assault Weapon” Issue (http://www.nraila.org/Issues/factsheets/read.aspx?ID=238 - broken link)

FBI study. Cited and quoted there. The FBI was required to study the effects of the ban and they could find no effect on crime.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The Big Lie of the Assault Weapons Ban - Los Angeles Times

NRA-ILA :: Semi-Automatic Firearms and the “Assault Weapon” Issue (http://www.nraila.org/Issues/factsheets/read.aspx?ID=238 - broken link)

FBI study. Cited and quoted there. The FBI was required to study the effects of the ban and they could find no effect on crime.
The first article talks about homicide rates in general, and not ones committed with AWs, and the other one is NRA web site.

I got nothing against NRA, and I am happy with ATF statistics proving that the differences were minimal. So small that you can't draw a definite conclusion that the ban did anything useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies