Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 07:04 AM

47,525 posts, read 70,139,733 times

Advertisements

I think most people realize that the government does not have the money. It's only more big debt that can never be repaid, more of the same problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 07:28 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,631,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
You mean the Democrat's TARP bailout? The one the Republicans fought just like this one until the weaker ones caved and voted it through?
Demanded by Paulson, Bernanke, and Bush. Backed by McCain. And maybe you missed Boehner's emotional speech on the House floor pleading with his caucus to vote for it. Or maybe it's more convenient if we just forget about all that.

Quote:
They told you then it wasn't going to work, and we're telling you now..... Learn from your mistakes, do not make them over and over again.
What mistake? The first tranche of the bailout is so far working as designed. It has shored up capital positions and tempered the leaking of liquidity. The problem that many people who don't understand the situation that we are dealing with is that they allow their frustrations to drive them into expecting that there will be instant cures for complex problems. Those folks should adopt a listen-and-learn strategy while abandoning that of rant-and-rave.

Quote:
I really wish I had your astounding ability to word things so BS looks like something with sustenance.
Don't worry so much about the rhetorical fine points...just blurt out all this rationale and reasoning you have about how it's all BS. Otherwise, you look like someone who believes that the truth can simply be papered over with name-calling and then ignored.

Quote:
The worst thing is, when this stimulus package fails to deliver, the Republicans will get the blame for not fighting hard enough, just like with the TARP bailout.
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood. One was marked Nothing But Straight to He!! in a Handbasket, and the other was marked Probably Still Bumpy Road Toward Back Where You Came From. Which road would you have chosen to follow?

Quote:
On the other hand, you seem like a fairly intelligent individual, it makes me wonder why you still support creating so many temporary jobs that will not last indefinitely. Afew months from now we will be right back a square one, except next time the unemployment figures will be higher and the stimulus [package would need to be even bigger....
Learn some logistics. It will take more than a few months to get most of these programs implemented and headed toward operational. Read the CBO and other analyses. There is significant stimulus effect from this bill projected in 2019. This is because the economy is a dynamic entity. Each gain, even if it came from temp jobs, feeds back on itself to keep other jobs from becoming not merely temp, but eliminated. We could also go into the long-term dividends of infrastructure, but one thing at a time here.

Quote:
Only 37% supports this package.. Interesting. Makes you wonder what Obama and Congress' approval ratings will be when this falls through the floor.
All it makes me wonder is how so many people can be so dumb. Kind of like when Bush got re-elected.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:48 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,631,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think most people realize that the government does not have the money. It's only more big debt that can never be repaid, more of the same problem.
The debt will never be "repaid" in any case. The only goal is to be able to service it. Bush's reckless wars and tax-cuts have made that task more difficult, especially as intra-governmental debt will need to be rolled into debt held by the public beginning in 2030 or so. The recovery bill has the same problem, but there are no realistic alternatives to it, and it comes against a background of all other economies being in the same boat. Can't really accuse the US of being just a bunch of pigs over this one...

Old 02-06-2009, 08:13 AM

4,300 posts, read 7,072,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Demanded by Paulson, Bernanke, and Bush. Backed by McCain. And maybe you missed Boehner's emotional speech on the House floor pleading with his caucus to vote for it. Or maybe it's more convenient if we just forget about all that.
Except McCain and Obama both expressed their opposition to it. And you are right, since the Democrats frucked up, we should probably just forget about all that... Ok fine, we'll do it your way..

Quote:
What mistake? The first tranche of the bailout is so far working as designed. It has shored up capital positions and tempered the leaking of liquidity. The problem that many people who don't understand the situation that we are dealing with is that they allow their frustrations to drive them into expecting that there will be instant cures for complex problems. Those folks should adopt a listen-and-learn strategy while abandoning that of rant-and-rave.
Really? I would like to read an article about how the TARP bailout worked to perfection. But then again, if it worked so well, why did half of it have to be frozen? The money disappeared so fast that no one even bothered to track it, but if you want to call that a success I can see why you would support this stimulus package....

Quote:
Don't worry so much about the rhetorical fine points...just blurt out all this rationale and reasoning you have about how it's all BS. Otherwise, you look like someone who believes that the truth can simply be papered over with name-calling and then ignored.
All you ever post is inflated normative statements.

Quote:
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood. One was marked Nothing But Straight to He!! in a Handbasket, and the other was marked Probably Still Bumpy Road Toward Back Where You Came From. Which road would you have chosen to follow?

Learn some logistics. It will take more than a few months to get most of these programs implemented and headed toward operational. Read the CBO and other analyses. There is significant stimulus effect from this bill projected in 2019. This is because the economy is a dynamic entity. Each gain, even if it came from temp jobs, feeds back on itself to keep other jobs from becoming not merely temp, but eliminated. We could also go into the long-term dividends of infrastructure, but one thing at a time here.
Sounds like an excuse. Six months from now, is your answer for the package going to be "well it hasn't taken full affect yet..." You are very quickly running out of plausible excuses. Administrative lag will only excuse you for so long..

Temporary jobs do not 'feed back' on itself. I have worked similar temp jobs in the past, and once it is done, you go back to wherever you were before. There is a difference between a job and a career. Careers last, jobs do not. You cannot hope to bring us out of a recession based on temp jobs. Even worse, there is no such thing as full employment. If there is, we have a serious problem on our hands.

Quote:
All it makes me wonder is how so many people can be so dumb. Kind of like when Bush got re-elected.
I do not blame anyone for questioning a stimulus package that will probably reach $1 trillion if we prolong this any more. I find it funny that when people actually start paying attention to where our money is going, you call them dumb.

But it doesn't really matter anyways. You know as well as I do that this package will pass regardless of what I say. I just enjoy fighting losing battles.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:52 AM

9,059 posts, read 13,040,937 times
Quote:
The loss of tens of trillions of dollars worth of wealth is reality. The loss of hundreds of thousands of jobs per month is reality. Hundreds of thousands of foreclosure filings per month is reality. Bwhahahahahaha!!!! is not reality.
It's reality, and nothing the government does can stop it.

The recession is the cure. Suppressing the economic immune system will result in certain death vis-a-vis hyperinflation.

Those trillions of dollars weren't real wealth. That was just fictitious perceived value of stocks and real estate.

Oh...and...bwhahahahahahaha!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies