Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 12:21 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,585,434 times

Advertisements

Now that the Bush administration is at an end, it is time for Obama and Congress to SERIOUSLY consider investigations into the potential law breaking activities that were committed during his 8 year rule.

Paul Krugman has an excellent editorial in today's NYT http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/16/op...16krugman.html

It is about whether Obama upholds his pledge to 'preserve, protect and defend the Constitution' by investigating those from the Bush years who abused their powers in office, or just pays lip service to this pledge by letting them 'walk away'...

I for one think there should be formal investigations.. especially into whether Bush and company INTENTIONALLY misled the country and got us involved in the war in Iraq under false pretenses.. I think they did...

It should also shed light on the politicization of the Justice Department, and appointing or removing attorney's based on their loyalty to Bush and his form of 'right thinking', rather than on their ability to do the job and uphold the law. Politicizing the judicial process is one of the more serious ways that Bush brought us closer to a dictatorship than any other president - surely in my lifetime...

Krugman makes an excellent point - to allow these people to walk away scott-free will only insure that in the future some other administration will do the same thing all over again...

I think people need to be held accountable and punished for their illegal, or unconstitutional, activities over the past 8 years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 04:48 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,935,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
Now that the Bush administration is at an end, it is time for Obama and Congress to SERIOUSLY consider investigations into the potential law breaking activities that were committed during his 8 year rule.

Paul Krugman has an excellent editorial in today's NYT http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/16/op...16krugman.html

It is about whether Obama upholds his pledge to 'preserve, protect and defend the Constitution' by investigating those from the Bush years who abused their powers in office, or just pays lip service to this pledge by letting them 'walk away'...

I for one think there should be formal investigations.. especially into whether Bush and company INTENTIONALLY misled the country and got us involved in the war in Iraq under false pretenses.. I think they did...

It should also shed light on the politicization of the Justice Department, and appointing or removing attorney's based on their loyalty to Bush and his form of 'right thinking', rather than on their ability to do the job and uphold the law. Politicizing the judicial process is one of the more serious ways that Bush brought us closer to a dictatorship than any other president - surely in my lifetime...

Krugman makes an excellent point - to allow these people to walk away scott-free will only insure that in the future some other administration will do the same thing all over again...

I think people need to be held accountable and punished for their illegal, or unconstitutional, activities over the past 8 years...
Should not happen and won't happen. Obama and congress know what a can of worms that will open and don't want to set a precedence for future Presidencies including Obama and his four years.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:03 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,585,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Should not happen and won't happen. Obama and congress know what a can of worms that will open and don't want to set a precedence for future Presidencies including Obama and his four years.
I'm not so sure...

I think Congress will probably at least investigate the circumstances of the intelligence info that was withheld or spun in justifying the war in Iraq...

I can always hope...

Old 01-16-2009, 05:45 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,847,419 times
Beyond what Michael Moore has told you. What is your evidence?

Old 01-16-2009, 06:38 AM

24,439 posts, read 23,103,140 times
Bush never followed up on the Clintons who never followed up on Bush 41 so I'm sure Obama won't follow up on Bush 43. Its just not how the system works. If one goes down, they all go down and take a whole lot of people with them. Besides, Obama has the weakest position of any of them.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:41 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,149,510 times
[quote=Icy Tea;7021798]Bush never followed up on the Clintons who never followed up on Bush 41 so I'm sure Obama won't follow up on Bush 43. Its just not how the system works. If one goes down, they all go down and take a whole lot of people with them. Besides, Obama has the weakest position of any of them.[/quote]

I am not arguing or stating any position on this, but I am curious as to why you make the highlighted statement.

Last edited by JamesAbilene; 01-16-2009 at 06:54 AM..

Old 01-16-2009, 06:47 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,586,421 times
"The stupid never forgive nor forget, the naive forgive and forget, the wise forgive but do not forget" - Thomas Szasz

Old 01-16-2009, 06:53 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,149,510 times
The major reason that I don't want to see this happen is that it will grind our government to a halt just when we need decisive and prompt action to deal with all of the messes we have at home and in the world.

Remember the Republican investigation into a blue dress and consensual sex in the oval office? It brought the government to its knees and nothing important was done until after the impeachment and the Senate decision not to remove the president from office.

(Okay, I lied in post number 6. I have taken a position. Truth is, I would like for the Bush administration to pay, but it is not practical at this point. Maybe some international tribunal will handle the issues dealing with Iraq.)

Old 01-16-2009, 07:13 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,450,722 times
Default Formally Investigate the Bush Administration? or Forgive and Forget?

The following is just my opinion, nothing more.

If Obama is to be successful in pulling America out of the ditch, he truly will need to be a leader who unites Americans. Focusing attention on the failures of the Bush years is not the way to do that. He needs to concentrate on solutions to the horrible problems the Dubyites are leaving for us. He'll need Republican support in congress to implement his programs.

Forget Bush. Leave his horrible record for the historians to condemn. I hope Bush has a long life after leaving office. With frequent pointed reminders of the disdain his presidency generated. But prosecution wouldn't be productive or helpful.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:14 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,221,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post

I agree with you, but not on the issues you listed. They should be investigated for torture and for wiretapping. Those are much easier issues to prove, as Bush has already admitted that he violated the law in those two areas - and the standards for conviction are a bit less complicated.

For those of you making the silly claim that it would set a bad precedent - it only does so for Presidents who violate the law. Clinton may have come close, and he got impeached for it. I notice that the concept of "not setting a bad precedent" didn't stop the GOP then. Now we have an administration that stomped all over the constitution. They should be held accountable. Aren't you all for personal responsibility and the rule of law?

Last edited by idahogie; 01-16-2009 at 07:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies