Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 03:58 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,334,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Driving while talkng on the cell phone is just as danagerous as driving while drunk..
Are you really so ignorant so as to believe what you wrote? A .10/.16/.24/.32 driver is FAR MORE DANGEROUS than someone talking on the cell phone - especially one using a hands free device.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 04:01 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,026,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Are you really so ignorant so as to believe what you wrote? A .10/.16/.24/.32 driver is FAR MORE DANGEROUS than someone talking on the cell phone - especially one using a hands free device.

First of GD.. we're not talking about a HANDS FREE DEVICE HERE.. many states don't allow people to talk on the cell phones UNLESS they are doing so on a hands free device

I'm all for requiring hands free devices.. otherwise, the person talking on a phone without one is as dangerous as someone that is drunk

Old 01-12-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
First of GD.. we're not talking about a HANDS FREE DEVICE HERE.. many states don't allow people to talk on the cell phones UNLESS they are doing so on a hands free device

I'm all for requiring hands free devices.. otherwise, the person talking on a phone without one is as dangerous as someone that is drunk
Again TM - READ THE STINKIN' ARTICLE - the proposal includes stopping the use of hands free devices

READ TM - READ

OBTW - when you read the article - you will find that there are only a FEW STATES that require hands free - not many as you allege. Less than SIX states I believe

Old 01-12-2009, 04:05 PM

Six states — California, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Utah and Washington — and the District of Columbia ban the use of hand-held cell phones behind the wheel,

Old 01-12-2009, 04:06 PM

States should ban drivers from using hand-held and hands-free cell phones

Old 01-12-2009, 04:53 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,206,491 times
Quote:
Ban Cell Phones While Driving

WASHINGTON — A national safety group is advocating a total ban on cell phone use while driving, saying the practice is clearly dangerous and leads to fatalities.

States should ban drivers from using hand-held and hands-free cell phones, and businesses should prohibit employees from using cell phones while driving on the job, the congressionally chartered National Safety Council says, taking those positions for the first time.

FOXNews.com - Ban Cell Phones While Driving, Safety Council Says - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
I'm for it. You have an idea how many times some idiot has almost ran me off the road because they were on a cell? Most of the time the morons don't even realize what they just did. They looked SHOCKED when I blaze my horn at them.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:32 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,602,904 times
Just about every time someone pulls a knucklehead move on the road these days, they have a cellphone pressed up to their ear. The hands-free devices are better, but in general I think unless it is an emergency, we should not have such a problem waiting until after the driving is done to be on the phone. With all the other distractions going on, (radio, passengers, cigarettes, as mentioned a few times), why add to it? I think the problem is so many people have so little time they feel like it is more efficient to get calls out of the way while driving to and from all the obligations in their lives. It is a sad state of affairs, really...people should have had more common sense about the whole thing, but now in the event of an emergency we may be stuck weighing the options of getting the help we need and getting arrested! Moderation...what a concept!

Old 01-12-2009, 07:37 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,531,638 times
I believe the OP has collapsed like the Wilkins Ice Shelf. Just my opinion, of course. Meanwhile, I've heard that in some places, a 30-day jail sentence is mandatory for a first-time DUI. I don't believe that, but if it's true, I think that would be about appropriate for a first-time cellphone talker as well. It's time we got these menaces off the road...

Old 01-12-2009, 08:00 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,350,774 times
This is a tough issue for me. Personally, I hate talking on a cell phone while driving and rarely do it. I don't like that many others do this on a routine basis. That said, I do not support the idea of Government telling people they can not do this. Maybe this can be adjusted for through higher premiums (like smoking for Health Insurance, though nobody would admit talking on their phone) or some other way to take it into account.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:03 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,322,924 times
Quote:
Then, you are going to have ban ALL TALKING while driving - including to passengers. You are going to have to ban listening to the radio - and perhaps singing along with the songs.

Ban drinking coffee in the morning - or woman putting on makeup while driving.
I think perhaps you should state your personal position on this issue a little more clearly. It appears as if you're possibly opposed to it (based on the title of your thread being "More nanny state proposals").

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Interesting that some of those who want to fry people for a .08 DUI turn around and find it some sort of presumption upon individual rights to criminalize driving while under the influence of a cellphone. The actual degree of impairment between the two is comparable...
Not quite the same. I'll admit that talking on a cell phone can cause somebody to be inattentive. However, more people can drive and talk at the same time ... whereas somebody who has had one too many for the road is severely impaired, and unable to react as quickly compared to a sober person. Talking on a phone doesn't cause blurred vision, slurred speech, or inability to judge the distance of vehicles, people, or objects up ahead. Intoxication does!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies