Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 08:22 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,605,428 times

Advertisements

Oh, and he took the nation of the path to energy independence that Carter tried to put us on to. If we had followed through with this we would me involved in the middle east wasting our taxes like we are today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 08:22 PM

707 posts, read 1,293,727 times
I didn't always agree with Reagan but he instilled a confidence and upbeat attitude in a nation that sorely needed it. He was inspirational and really taught us to be proud to be americans. Obama has a chance to do the same. Inspiration,pride and positive attitude go a long way in problem solving.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:44 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,805,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Oh, and he took the nation of the path to energy independence that Carter tried to put us on to. If we had followed through with this we would me involved in the middle east wasting our taxes like we are today.
This is so true but they trash Carter consistantly.All this stuff going on today.Is like the cold war all over again.At least their was some stability with the nukes.Now with all these new countries with "idea" its much scarier.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:56 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,805,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Wow, I'm surprised no one's yet mentioned that the day of his inauguration, the Iranians released the 63 American hostages that had been held prisoner in the US Embassy for 444 days. He didn't actually do a thing but take office that day but the Iranians knew that we no longer had a weakling for a leader and their time was limited.

I lived in the 70s. Gas rationing, shortages, food shortages because trucks couldn't transport food due to lack of fuel, double digit unemployment...disco... The 1980s were like stepping out of Hell into Eden.

Ask the Germans who lived in East Germany what Reagan did.

I grew up in a world that was minutes away from nuclear annihilation. Drills, duck and cover, stick your head between your knees and kiss your butt goodbye. Most of you just a few years younger than me can laugh about those old clips but it wasn't just an irrational fear and it was no joke. The threat of nuclear war was very real. Both China and the USSR were very belligerent toward the US and Western Europe. Regan ended that. Actually Nixon started the process with China but by that point China and the USSR were pointing missiles at each other too. Most of you grew up in a world free of the constant and very real fear that everything you knew and loved could disappear in a flash of light with a 16 minute warning if you were lucky.

That's what Reagan did FOR YOU kiddies so quit peeing on his grave.
You mean no fear like 911?An emergent Russia?In debt to China?An legacy of Reagan felled mideast policies that we are now having problems with today.Or our TRILLION dollar deficit that he single handly contributed to by quadrupling it during his 4 years?Us "kiddies" have more than enough to worry about.Feeling good about your country can only take you so far if you not willing to do the hard work that supports those feelings.No "peeing on his grave" just that nostalgia has no place when its fiction.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:17 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,467,791 times
QUOTE]You mean no fear like 911?[/quote]

Nobody dared pull that when RR was running the show. Khomeni realeased his hostages as RR was being sworn in because he knew better then to tug on superman's cape.

Quote:
An emergent Russia?
What are they emerging from today? Oh, Yeah, being in the dumps after Reagan led the west to defeat them in the Cold War.

Quote:
In debt to China?
Talk to Clinton if you want to chide the president who began the Sino-american trade imbalances we are seeing today. China was still a bumbling, centralized communist economic mess when Reagan left office. They did'nt start getting their act together until the 1990's.

Quote:
An legacy of Reagan felled mideast policies that we are now having problems with today.
Yeah, The Mid-east was such a garden spot in 1980. It's all Reagan's fault. At least the afghans were still on our side when he left office.

Quote:
Or our TRILLION dollar deficit that he single handly contributed to by quadrupling it during his 4 years?
His defense build up won the cold war and saved the planet from a possible nuclear holocaust. Sounds like money well spent to me.

Quote:
Us "kiddies" have more than enough to worry about.Feeling good about your country can only take you so far if you not willing to do the hard work that supports those feelings.No "peeing on his grave" just that nostalgia has no place when its fiction.
It's not fiction, its fact. Reagan is the greatest US president of the last half of the 20th century.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:33 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,267,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
QUOTE]You mean no fear like 911?
Nobody dared pull that when RR was running the show. Khomeni realeased his hostages as RR was being sworn in because he knew better then to tug on superman's cape.

What are they emerging from today? Oh, Yeah, being in the dumps after Reagan led the west to defeat them in the Cold War.

Talk to Clinton if you want to chide the president who began the Sino-american trade imbalances we are seeing today. China was still a bumbling, centralized communist economic mess when Reagan left office. They did'nt start getting their act together until the 1990's.

Yeah, The Mid-east was such a garden spot in 1980. It's all Reagan's fault. At least the afghans were still on our side when he left office.

His defense build up won the cold war and saved the planet from a possible nuclear holocaust. Sounds like money well spent to me.

It's not fiction, its fact. Reagan is the greatest US president of the last half of the 20th century.[/quote]

I consider Reagan the best president of my lifetime.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
QUOTE]
Ok you know it was Deng Ziaoping that led to the changes in the Chinese economic policy right? These started in the 80's. Actually, experiments at the local level started even earlier than that. The changes weren't put in place overnight, for fear that the country would collapse from extreme changes (see collapse of Soviet Union). By the 90's these changes started taking hold on a widespread level. The changes that gave rise to a Chinese middle class, improving the lot of hundreds of millions of people.
Believe or not, the president of the US isn't responsible for all that happens within a country.
And the strength that the Taliban has is due to largely Reagan. The US (democrat and republican) has a history of helping to create its own next great enemy and scapegoat.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:03 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,467,791 times
Quote:
Ok you know it was Deng Ziaoping that led to the changes in the Chinese economic policy right? These started in the 80's. Actually, experiments at the local level started even earlier than that. The changes weren't put in place overnight, for fear that the country would collapse from extreme changes (see collapse of Soviet Union). By the 90's these changes started taking hold on a widespread level. The changes that gave rise to a Chinese middle class, improving the lot of hundreds of millions of people.
Agree totally with you - including about the part that it has been a good thing for the chinese people. I was replying to a post that blamed the current Sino-American Trade imbalance on RR. My point was this issue arose after his presidency & he is not responsible for it.

Quote:
Believe or not, the president of the US isn't responsible for all that happens within a country.
Absolutely agree with this! If only everyone else understood this we would all be in a much better place!!

Quote:
And the strength that the Taliban has is due to largely Reagan. The US (democrat and republican) has a history of helping to create its own next great enemy and scapegoat
Yes, we gave them the military hardware. But they did not turn against us until the after the first gulf war.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:16 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,997,693 times
Ronald Reagan introduced crack to South LA, and other 'inner cities.'

Old 11-08-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Yes, we gave them the military hardware. But they did not turn against us until the after the first gulf war.
So doesn't it bother you that time and time again we sell arms to groups or nations which end up using them to create violence for their own ends?

Also, I do blame Clinton for some of the mess we're in. Altho I still say most of the policies resulted from the trickle down policies originating from Reagan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies