Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How close would you want to live near a nuclear power plant?
I wouldnt mind living within 10 miles of a nuke 39 56.52%
I wouldnt mind living within 25 miles of a nuke 8 11.59%
I wouldnt mind living within 50 miles of a nuke 7 10.14%
I wouldnt mind living within 100 miles of a nuke 3 4.35%
I wouldnt want one within 100 miles of my home 12 17.39%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 11:12 AM

713 posts, read 1,873,999 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't mind living within 1 mile of one, as long as it isn't noisy. An interesting fact: a nuclear plant emits less radioactive material into the atmosphere than a coal plant, because there is a small amount of naturally-occuring radioactive material in most coal.

If Nuclear plants are so unsafe that no-one should live within 10 miles of one, than they probably shouldn't be built anywhere, right??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 11:13 AM

713 posts, read 1,873,999 times
Having said that, there are probably some places where nukes shouldn't be built, like along the San Andreas fault...

Old 10-31-2008, 11:52 AM

23,797 posts, read 24,309,995 times
They can put one IN my house if they're willing to pay the rent. I'm not concerned about any potential safety issues - these things are about as safe as anything can possibly be. I'm more concerned about an engine falling off a jet and hitting me than I am about a modern nuclear plant going critical...

Old 10-31-2008, 11:53 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,447,425 times
Our future home is located just a little bit away from the Oak Ridge National lab, the home of the famous Manhattan Project. I ain't skeered, though I wouldn't want to live right next door I guess...

Old 10-31-2008, 11:57 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,094,536 times
It would depend on who built it and who was operating it.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:06 PM

10,650 posts, read 10,812,332 times
I'd love to see one in/near my town! Talk about tax base and Jobs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-31-2008, 12:33 PM

24 posts, read 62,158 times
My father is a retired nuclear engineer and specifically worked with safety, storage, and conversion of nuclear waste all over the U.S., and studied sites in France and Russia. He is an avid environmentalist as well, and is adamant that nuclear energy is the path to energy independence and pollution reduction in our country. It is one of the most highly regulated industries in the U.S., if not THE most, making it safer and cleaner than even clean coal technology. I asked him about wind and solar recently, and he said that the amount of land/habitat you would have to destroy to create solar/wind farms to reach the same level of nuclear energy output of one reactor is enormous. Not to say that solar and wind aren't an integral part of the puzzle, but the efficiency of nuclear energy can't be beat right now. It's CHEAP, and if the U.S. were to build more reactors it would create thousands if not hundreds of thousands of well-paying jobs. I say go for it.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:14 PM

959 posts, read 2,373,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmank View Post
My father is a retired nuclear engineer and specifically worked with safety, storage, and conversion of nuclear waste all over the U.S., and studied sites in France and Russia. He is an avid environmentalist as well, and is adamant that nuclear energy is the path to energy independence and pollution reduction in our country. It is one of the most highly regulated industries in the U.S., if not THE most, making it safer and cleaner than even clean coal technology. I asked him about wind and solar recently, and he said that the amount of land/habitat you would have to destroy to create solar/wind farms to reach the same level of nuclear energy output of one reactor is enormous. Not to say that solar and wind aren't an integral part of the puzzle, but the efficiency of nuclear energy can't be beat right now. It's CHEAP, and if the U.S. were to build more reactors it would create thousands if not hundreds of thousands of well-paying jobs. I say go for it.
YES!!! Thanks for this post, great insider perspective. And for the record, I'd also love to see one in my backyard. Of course, anyone would want to ask questions, know details about safety plans, that's just common sense. But I'd welcome one with open arms.

The overwhelming response here seems to kind of put a stymie on your assumptions, doesn't it crystallblue?? I think if you do some serious study and research, you'll find that Enviro-Nazis may becoming a dying breed whose credibility is disappearing down the proverbial drain pipe really quick! Again, the problem is, those guys never seem provide us with many viable solutions; only "peace, love, save the polar bears" crapola which does nothing to address the practical issues of energy production in this country.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:57 PM

43,851 posts, read 51,596,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
They can put one IN my house if they're willing to pay the rent. I'm not concerned about any potential safety issues - these things are about as safe as anything can possibly be. I'm more concerned about an engine falling off a jet and hitting me than I am about a modern nuclear plant going critical...
I totally agree!

What they should do is offer free utilities to anyone within a 10 mile radius and sign me up as a life long resident of the Nuke Zone.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:41 PM

144 posts, read 409,217 times
Nuclear Power is my livelyhood, so it wouldn't matter if I lived near one, I already work for them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies