Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 03:03 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,367,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
It would have been just fine IF he wasn't a MARRIED man and PRESIDENT of OUR COUNTRY. If Clinton had been dealing with some of this we might not be were we are today. Clinton had Bin Laden in his hands and gave him back. Clinton did nothing about the U.S. Cole so, they figured what the hell they are not paying attention. Guess what President Clinton wasn't.
Just seems so easy for President Bush to be blamed for everything.
We didn't just get into this mess on 9/11. Lots was going on and the Democrats just appeased everyone and Bin Laden and others hated Bush Sr. and I believe planned this attack on 9/11 when we VOTED President Bush in.
Wildberries61, I would recommend reading the 9/11 Commission report to understand what was going on and who did what. Do you remember when cruise missiles were launched under Clinton’s watch in response to terrorist attacks? Who created the argument that is was to detract attention away from the affair? It was the Republican controlled house. Regarding the Cole attack, Clinton did want to respond, the problem, who was to blame. There were “theories” but you cant justify a counter-attack based on who you “think” did it. Do you remember Oklahoma City? Many thought that was a terrorist attack by foreign nationals. What if the government decided to attack a country they thought was responsible? What would have happened then?

So you feel an affair by two consenting adults is an impeachable offense but the ever evolving “justification” for going to war isn’t?

Old 01-26-2007, 03:04 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post

I'd love to see Pelosi and Bush on the Jerry Springer Show. I think she would take him down. He'd be the one raising his shirt up and down. She'd have him down in a minute and she'd be standing there with her spiked heel on his stomach waving the American flag.
Only until Laura stepped in. She's a Texan girl watch out. GO Laura!!!

Old 01-26-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Rather than looking at Iraq, why don't we look at the lesson we are showing them in Afghanistan?

What we are showing them there is that we are easily distracted, that we'll do a 1/2 way job then go on to the next "big thing" and they just can regroup and come back. Osama bin Laden? Who the heck is he? Is anyone even looking for him anymore? Have you heard that the Taliban is now helping the locals since we didn't?
You got me there!!

Old 01-26-2007, 03:09 PM

745 posts, read 1,297,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Can you elaborate? I'm missing what the "this."

Thanks!
Sorry I missed the quote, we were talking about intelligence

Old 01-26-2007, 03:10 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
Bush is the decision maker, he was voted in by the largest majority ever by anybody. also this is not a democrocy, its a representative republic, look up the difference. we dont do things by polls.
Largest majority ever? I am really confused where you're getting your information from. If you recall, much of the drama about pregnant chads and ballots in Florida was underscored by the fact that Bush won in Florida by only 500+ votes and the only reason there wasn't a full recount was because the Supreme Court intervened on Bush's behalf. Al Gore won the popular vote and received more of the popular vote than Bush.
In 2004 Bush received about 51 percent of the votes cast, making him the first presidential candidate to win a majority of the popular vote since his father George H. W. Bush in the presidential election of 1988 (not the greatest majority in history as you state). At the same time, Bush's 2.5-percent popular vote margin over Kerry is the smallest margin of victory (in percentage terms) for an incumbent president in American history.

For clarity on the term Democracy. The United States is a democracy. Its particular version of democracy is that of a representative democracy and because officials who govern are elected and their power to govern is regulated by a written Constitution, it can be termed a constitutional republic as well. Democracy can refer to direct or representative government structures where the governing officials are elected by the citizens of that republic. Using the term "democracy" to refer only to direct democracy is no longer applicable. The term republic is also open to interpretation. The Islamic Republic of Iran is clearly a theocratic dictatorship, but because it does actually allow a popular vote that, although strictly regulated and the candidates are put out by the Mullahs undemocratically, it can be called a republic.
Polls have nothing to do with the role of an American president who is in office. He's already elected and endowed with certain powers by the Constitution, especially relating to foreign affairs. Polls do have a part to play in the election process however.
I just don't understand where you came up with your assertions. It would be helpful if you could cite some sources so I could review them myself.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:12 PM

745 posts, read 1,297,335 times
Technically he did win the majority and it was the largest raw number of votes in history, therefore largest majority. It still sounds like fuzzy math to me.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:12 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
It would have been just fine IF he wasn't a MARRIED man and PRESIDENT of OUR COUNTRY. If Clinton had been dealing with some of this we might not be were we are today. Clinton had Bin Laden in his hands and gave him back. Clinton did nothing about the U.S. Cole so, they figured what the hell they are not paying attention. Guess what President Clinton wasn't.
If it hadn't been for the Supreme Court deciding that a sitting president had PLENTY of time to go to trial on a Civil lawsuit (the Paula Jones case) -- none of the above would have happened. I think the Supreme Court deserves a lot of the blame for all that wasted time during Clinton's time in office.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:13 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
You are my hero! I was too headachey to check the data!

Now do you recall how the 37th President decided to resign. I recall that it was substantially motivated by public outcry. Such an extreme outrage that the Congress took up the baton of impeachment.

But I can't find my source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Largest majority ever? I am really confused where you're getting your information from. If you recall, much of the drama about pregnant chads and ballots in Florida was underscored by the fact that Bush won in Florida by only 500+ votes and the only reason there wasn't a full recount was because the Supreme Court intervened on Bush's behalf. Al Gore won the popular vote and received more of the popular vote than Bush.
In 2004 Bush received about 51 percent of the votes cast, making him the first presidential candidate to win a majority of the popular vote since his father George H. W. Bush in the presidential election of 1988 (not the greatest majority in history as you state). At the same time, Bush's 2.5-percent popular vote margin over Kerry is the smallest margin of victory (in percentage terms) for an incumbent president in American history.

For clarity on the term Democracy. The United States is a democracy. Its particular version of democracy is that of a representative democracy and because officials who govern are elected and their power to govern is regulated by a written Constitution, it can be termed a constitutional republic as well. Democracy can refer to direct or representative government structures where the governing officials are elected by the citizens of that republic. Using the term "democracy" to refer only to direct democracy is no longer applicable. The term republic is also open to interpretation. The Islamic Republic of Iran is clearly a theocratic dictatorship, but because it does actually allow a popular vote that, although strictly regulated and the candidates are put out by the Mullahs undemocratically, it can be called a republic.
Polls have nothing to do with the role of an American president who is in office. He's already elected and endowed with certain powers by the Constitution, especially relating to foreign affairs. Polls do have a part to play in the election process however.
I just don't understand where you came up with your assertions. It would be helpful if you could cite some sources so I could review them myself.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:17 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
If this could happen, I'd actually buy a television.
All those Jerry Springer guests -- when they run out of insults to throw and are at a lack for words, they just raise their shirts and show their boobs! And we all know GWB is a boob!

Old 01-26-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jest721 View Post
You are my archnemsis! This must be fate, we are on the opposite side of EVERY issue.
9/11 Was no American's fault. There were warnings, true, but I don't hold any of the administrations responsible. You might as well blame the passengers and pilots on the planes for not running into the ground. No one expected this.
And 9/11 has nothing to do with Iraq. Iraq, hold your breath now, is about oil. This president mislead the country and took us into war on misinformation. Thousands of Americans have died in this war because we were lied to by this administration. Who is responsible? The president.
See it my way and we might have this resolved!! I have a hard time thinking in the beginning it was about oil. But, now it might be a different story. With Venezuela and Iran threating to cut us off or raise prices to the point we can't afford it oil is possibly the issue.
We have lost a lot of lives there and the least they owe us is oil. Unless, you want to go back to horse and buggy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies