Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 10:57 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,963,539 times

Advertisements

I like diversity, but I also like safety. Sometimes they don't go together, and other times they do. Being in a neighborhood of all black or all white or all latin is very boring to me. I don't feel that I have more in common with one group over the other and I actually prefer talking and hanging out with people of different backgrounds. It can be a little difficult when the cultural differences become more of a negative than a positive, and that certainly happens, but I would rather deal with the occasional misunderstanding than live in a community where we all look alike and talk alike and cook the same kind of food and listen the same kind of music. Some people like to stick with what they know just because it feels more comfortable, I think people should experience many different things so that they know what their likes and dislikes really are,.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 02:28 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,146,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Diversity is good, double standards aren't. How come Japan, Mexico or Africa never get scrutized for their "Lack of diversity"?

LOL @ the white folks in this thread, it truly is a war between the racists and the self-haters. Can anyone here please get a grip?

THANK YOU!!!

I love reading all the posts from these so called "diversity loving" rich white people. They want diversity, they can move into the ghettos. After all, most of the people living in these ghettos aren't white so they will be getting their wish of living with people with different cultures.

These same people also quantify how many "black" or "hispanic" friends they have. First sign of a closet racist.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Because it IS important! What, you like white gated communities? Do you support the KKK? What an ignorant thread.

So if someone lives in a "white" gated community, then they are automatically racist??? You do know that your statement is what really is racist. If a person lives in this "white" gated community and immediately moves out because a minority has moved in, then yes, that is racist. However, just because one lives in said community, doesn't make them a racist.

Get off your high horse.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:40 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,644,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
So if someone lives in a "white" gated community, then they are automatically racist??? You do know that your statement is what really is racist. If a person lives in this "white" gated community and immediately moves out because a minority has moved in, then yes, that is racist. However, just because one lives in said community, doesn't make them a racist.

Get off your high horse.
Whatever dude

Old 08-12-2008, 02:40 PM

You do know that there is PLENTY of diversity when an Irishman, Italian, German, English, French, and Swede get together right?

Cultural diversity, huh? Ok, how many blacks and/or hispanics have delved into Irish culture? Going to an Irish pub is not learning about Irish culture. Just as going to a Thai restaurant, that is probably staffed with Mexicans, isn't being diverse.

Most diversity hacks want OTHER white people to embrace it so they feel better about themselves and limit their white guilt.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Whatever dude
Thought so. Good answer, though.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:44 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,728,255 times
Diversity doesn't mean "presence of non-whites." The ghetto is often a much more UN-diverse place than a typical American middle class suburb. Diversity is substantial presence of several ethnic, national, and racial groups. For example, Los Angeles is diverse; Detroit largely is not, and it has a higher percentage of non-white "minorities."

Old 08-12-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
In my diverse neighborhood there are a lot of million dollar houses. People walk there day and night, and I don't think I've ever seen any graffiti. I do remember when one of the city councilwoman's kids was prowling around after dark shooting windows with a BB gun.

Poverty seems to be more of a predictor for neighborhood violence than diversity. Maybe we should concern ourselves with alleviation of poverty rather than alleviation of diversity.
Cool stuff.

In my non-diverse neighborhood, there are tons of million-dollar houses (possibly over-inflated values though). People walk and bike day and night. No graffiti at all and no councilwomen's kids shooting BB guns.

See, there's good to BOTH sides!!

(I will admit, your last paragraph does have a lot of validity. While I am a fiscal conservative Republican, I think we need to ensure that ALL schools are properly funded so children have a chance to succeed and leave the binds of poverty. But that's another topic)

Old 08-12-2008, 04:41 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,272,475 times
i don't see color, all i see is shades of green.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:46 PM

250 posts, read 339,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
i don't see color, all i see is shades of green.
Greed is the safe position to take in the race debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies