Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 07:00 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,848,636 times

Advertisements

It has become increasingly popular to speak of racial and ethnic diversity as a civic strength. From multicultural festivals to pronouncements from political leaders, the message is the same: our differences make us stronger.
But a massive new study, based on detailed interviews of nearly 30,000 people across America, has concluded just the opposite. Harvard political scientist Robert Putnam -- famous for "Bowling Alone," his 2000 book on declining civic engagement -- has found that the greater the diversity in a community, the fewer people vote and the less they volunteer, the less they give to charity and work on community projects. In the most diverse communities, neighbors trust one another about half as much as they do in the most homogenous settings. The study, the largest ever on civic engagement in America, found that virtually all measures of civic health are lower in more diverse settings.
So my question is, why do people use the word diversity as one of the top 5 defining adjectives when describing a city's strengths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 07:45 AM

6,345 posts, read 11,112,295 times
Mostly they are cowering at the hands of the media which loves to throw the "D" word around and make people or communities feel guilty if they don't embrace their way of thinking and lifestyle. Thus, in order not to be labeled as an undesirable by the all powerful mainstream media they cave into the pressure and start using it themselves.

I should also add that while these people that want us to have a "diverse look" to our society they most certainly don't encourage diverse and/or independent thoughts and actions. Sad...

Old 08-06-2008, 08:45 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,325,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
So my question is, why do people use the word diversity as one of the top 5 defining adjectives when describing a city's strengths.
Why? Because some of us really like diversity.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:45 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,931,569 times
It actually makes sense because most "culturally" diverse areas are also transient areas with residents share little in common, often with an awkward mix of economic groups as well. People tend to share SOME similarities when they form any sense of community, whether it would be race or simply socioeconomic or education status. I don't say that to sound like an elitist, but I do believe "diversity is our strength" comes from actually WANTING to form civic pride in an area that doesn't have it, but human nature means that usually wont happen, although there are many exceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post

I should also add that while these people that want us to have a "diverse look" to our society they most certainly don't encourage diverse and/or independent thoughts and actions. Sad...
Well said. Diversity is great, but it doesn't work with such a blind, naive view of it and what it actually means.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:04 AM

6,345 posts, read 11,112,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
It actually makes sense because most "culturally" diverse areas are also transient areas with residents share little in common, often with an awkward mix of economic groups as well. People tend to share SOME similarities when they form any sense of community, whether it would be race or simply socioeconomic or education status. I don't say that to sound like an elitist, but I do believe "diversity is our strength" comes from actually WANTING to form civic pride in an area that doesn't have it, but human nature means that usually wont happen, although there are many exceptions.

Well said. Diversity is great, but it doesn't work with such a blind, naive view of it and what it actually means.
Right on. They want diversity for appearances sake only but with no substance. I willingly rub elbows with anyone regardless of their background if they share similar hobbies and interests and can provide thought provoking discussions on a variety of issues. Sharing and embracing differing ideas is what truly creates a diverse environment...

Old 08-06-2008, 09:08 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,168,846 times
Agree....

The much-maligned non-socioeconomically-diverse suburbs often also reduce one's risk exposure to crime...

Similarly, ability to drive own car everywhere (esp to homes/offices/shops far from poor areas/homeless) w/no need for mass transit also reduces one's risk exposure to crime....

Let's not forget many members of media choose to live in low-rent urban settings and commute via mass transit....and then attempt to scare less astute members of public w/various irrelevant crime stats....

Many choose to live/work in their own bubbles, often defined by socio-economics....the elegance of American suburban mobility and the ability to leave high COL, low QOL regions for more efficient, high QOL urban/suburban regions...

Old 08-06-2008, 09:14 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,325,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Right on. They want diversity for appearances sake only but with no substance. I willingly rub elbows with anyone regardless of their background if they share similar hobbies and interests and can provide thought provoking discussions on a variety of issues. Sharing and embracing differing ideas is what truly creates a diverse environment...
No. Seriously, a lot of us like living among people from different backgrounds from whom we learn different perspectives. We like being able to frequent restaurants that offer cuisines from elsewhere in the world. We like exposing our childrent to people from different backgrounds in order to give them a better-informed view of the world. What is it about diversity that makes it so hard for some of you to understand?

And yes, to answer some of the coded speak on this thread, although I'm a liberal living in a diverse urban neighborhood, I do have politically conservative friends as well. See? Diversity in all forms.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:25 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,848,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Why? Because some of us really like diversity.
Why, because you can go down the street and get a falafel? Is that really more important than strong, safe neighborhoods? Yes, diverse neighborhoods also tend to have higher crime rates.

I'm not arguing against diversity. I happen to live in an extremely diverse neighborhood. I just wonder whether the whole diversity thing is a result of white people's self hate and guilt. It really is only white people who cherish the concept.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:31 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,688,487 times
Regardless of what you see on TV, I think more people are fleeing diversity than are trying to find it. "Diverse" in my area means it will be a ghetto in five more years.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:44 AM

334 posts, read 1,269,447 times
Hmmm. Let's look at some stats

Richest American Cities
(Population over 250,000)
RankCityMedian household income, 20041San Jose, CA$71,7652Anchorage, AK$61,5653San Francisco, CA$60,0314Virginia Beach, VA$55,7815San Diego, CA$51,3826Anaheim, CA$49,6227Raleigh, NC$47,8788Seattle, WA$46,6509Washington, DC$46,57410Honolulu, HI$46,50011Oakland, CA$46,19012Charlotte, NC$46,08213Boston, MA$45,89214Arlington, TX$45,71215Austin, TX$45,50816Colorado Springs, CO$45,38817Riverside, CA$44,86618Las Vegas, NV$44,73719Aurora, CO$44,48020Minneapolis, MN$44,116

With topics like this, no wonder the rest of the world hates us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies