Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 07:46 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,298,612 times

Advertisements

I'm just amazed that that there are more posts on the "solidarity" on the confederate flag and "connecting with ancestors" but posts that decry the devastation of slavery and Jim Crow laws are criticized for living in the past and making a big deal out of nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 07:59 PM

350 posts, read 655,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
No - it is not my responsibility to make others "feel good". The Flag, like it or not - is part of history. And, I look at the flag as a symbol of brave men fighting for their personal freedoms -

I have a Confederate Flag proudly displayed in my home - and with no apologizes for doing so.

As an aside - we have a foster daughter who is African American - who loves to carry her "Flag" beach towel - she thinks its a hoot -
Then I suppose, we might as well fly the Swastika - it is certainly part of history and the arguement could be made that brave German patriots died for it in order to rid themselves of the oppressive conditions put upon the Fatherland by the Treaty of Versailles. And well, if some see it as a symbol of genocide - just too bad for them, isn't it?

Old 08-06-2008, 08:05 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,904,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
I'm just amazed that that there are more posts on the "solidarity" on the confederate flag and "connecting with ancestors" but posts that decry the devastation of slavery and Jim Crow laws are criticized for living in the past and making a big deal out of nothing.

I stated that many pages ago...............no one will have an answer for you.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:23 PM

24,908 posts, read 39,378,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortamor View Post
Then I suppose, we might as well fly the Swastika - it is certainly part of history and the arguement could be made that brave German patriots died for it in order to rid themselves of the oppressive conditions put upon the Fatherland by the Treaty of Versailles. And well, if some see it as a symbol of genocide - just too bad for them, isn't it?
If one wants to fly the Swastika - they can. Is there a law in the US that would prohibit this exercise of free speech?

Answer: No -

Old 08-06-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
If one wants to fly the Swastika - they can. Is there a law in the US that would prohibit this exercise of free speech?

Answer: No -
The only good thing - in both of these cases - and until the law is changed - is that acknowledging symbols of evil can diminish their significance.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
The only good thing - in both of these cases - and until the law is changed - is that acknowledging symbols of evil can diminish their significance.
"Until the law is changed"????

Would you be good enough to clarify what you mean by this???

Old 08-06-2008, 08:54 PM

3,920 posts, read 3,660,748 times
Quote:

I get where you are trying to go with this, but the comparison of the two is a little off track. You are comparing a civil war between two armies to a genocidal war which involved not only millions of soldier's deaths but also millions of Jews and Gypsies.
For the most part Germans feel absolutely no pride about their past.

But the people of the South weren't fighting to destroy a people, they were fighting to hold onto the rights of the state to govern themselves. And the North did not come down here to save the slaves, they came to claim power for the Federal Government. The right to own slaves was just one of many rights the states of the Confederacy and all states lost as a result of the war. I am glad slavery was ended, but I am sick of everyone repeating the same old grade school explanation for the Civil War.

It was not a war to stop slavery. Heck, many many slaves were still owned by northern men and women, they just kept them down south on their plantations. And treatment of blacks in the northern states was anything but cordial. They were treated like animals, only they were free animals. The entire country treated black people horribly, not just the South. So please stop with the glorified northerners doing their duty posts. They were all to blame for the crimes that were committed over those several hundred years. There can be no justice, only acceptance, tolerance, and forgiveness.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:11 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,298,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
I stated that many pages ago...............no one will have an answer for you.
LOL. The truth hurts.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I get where you are trying to go with this, but the comparison of the two is a little off track. You are comparing a civil war between two armies to a genocidal war which involved not only millions of soldier's deaths but also millions of Jews and Gypsies.
For the most part Germans feel absolutely no pride about their past.

But the people of the South weren't fighting to destroy a people, they were fighting to hold onto the rights of the state to govern themselves. And the North did not come down here to save the slaves, they came to claim power for the Federal Government. The right to own slaves was just one of many rights the states of the Confederacy and all states lost as a result of the war. I am glad slavery was ended, but I am sick of everyone repeating the same old grade school explanation for the Civil War.

It was not a war to stop slavery. Heck, many many slaves were still owned by northern men and women, they just kept them down south on their plantations. And treatment of blacks in the northern states was anything but cordial. They were treated like animals, only they were free animals. The entire country treated black people horribly, not just the South. So please stop with the glorified northerners doing their duty posts. They were all to blame for the crimes that were committed over those several hundred years. There can be no justice, only acceptance, tolerance, and forgiveness.
The civil war was about states' rights, but more specifically, how slave states and free states would join the Union, which as was set forth in the Missouri Compromise but nullified by the Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854. This Act, to pacifiy Southerners, called for one state to be free and one to be slave, where both, according to the original compromise, should have been admitted as free states. The Republican party formed in opposition to the Act and to the extension of slavery. When Lincoln was elected, the Southern states began to secede.

By the way, I think it was the 1790 census that showed 94% of US slaves lived below the Mason-Dixon Line.

Think about it this way, if your relatives had been wiped out in Nazi camps, what would you think when you saw the swastika flying overhead? Fear, dread, anger? You wouldn't feel welcome, that is for sure.

Now if your ancestors had been slaves, and as history goes, this is not very long ago, what would you think if you saw the St. Andrew's cross flying over head?
Fear, dread, anger? Again, you certainly wouldn't feel welcome - in your own nation!

Old 08-06-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Think about it this way, if your relatives had been wiped out in Nazi camps, what would you think when you saw the swastika flying overhead? Fear, dread, anger? You wouldn't feel welcome, that is for sure.

Now if your ancestors had been slaves, and as history goes, this is not very long ago, what would you think if you saw the St. Andrew's cross flying over head? Fear, dread, anger? Again, you certainly wouldn't feel welcome - in your own nation!
Your continued use of the deliberate NAZI extermination of a group of people - as a comparison to the Civil War is disingenuous at best.

Apples and Oranges IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies