Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 10:06 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,226,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I am not a neo con...far from it. Most people would consider me a liberal. However, one of the things that once attracted me to the democratic party was their stand that we, as a civilized people, had a responsibility to help those who were not in a position to help or protect themselves. To me that most closely followed my belief that "whatsoever you do to the least of these you do to me." So for me, the belief that we are to protect the unborn child, who is certainly the MOST innocent and helpless of all, is a natural outgrowth of my core beliefs. And, far from not caring what happens to them after they are born, I have spent my life...both through work and through volunteering, trying to help them. I do not begrudge one penny of my tax money that goes to feeding, clothing, and educating those in need. I do begrudge the money spent in wars and corrupt politicians but that is another story. I simply and truly believe that a human life is a precious gift and should be protected and cherished. And I honestly can not get my mind to grasp how anyone can believe that 9 months of pregnancy is not worth the 80 years of life that the unborn child could have. I don't get it. That kind of egocentric selfishness just doesn't fit into anything I believe. And that is from a fairly liberal feminist.
Obviously you're not a neocon or Republican because you care about children after they're born, too.

However, like many with an opinion on abortion, you may never have been, or will be, poor, desperate, and pregnant....it would have a tendency to change perspectives.

Also, those that find the terms like "breeder" offensive (I do, too), some of those very same people want to force women to become just that by taking away their rights to their own bodies.

Try to remember that outlawing abortion will NOT end abortions.
Wealthy women will simply go to Europe for safe abortions and poor women will take their lives in their hands having illegal ones here....aren't THEIR lives precious also???

Old 06-26-2008, 10:15 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,435,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Obviously you're not a neocon or Republican because you care about children after they're born, too...
So what are you saying here?

Liberals and Democrats don't care about children before they're born?

or

Neocons and Republicans don't care about children after they're born?

That's a pretty sweeping statement you made.

All I was saying is, if you want others to "keep your laws off my body and out of my bedroom" then you can't have it both ways.

Either govt. tells us how to live or it doesn't.

If you don't want others telling you that you must give birth to the child you've conceived, then you can't complain when government steps back and lets people raise their children freely as they see fit. Or when people eat trans fats or too many Burger King burgers. Or smoke too much. Or spank their kids.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:45 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,140,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Obviously you're not a neocon or Republican because you care about children after they're born, too.

However, like many with an opinion on abortion, you may never have been, or will be, poor, desperate, and pregnant....it would have a tendency to change perspectives.

Oh believe me, you have NO idea. If you knew the story of my life you would know how very far from the truth that statement is.

Also, those that find the terms like "breeder" offensive (I do, too), some of those very same people want to force women to become just that by taking away their rights to their own bodies.

It isn't only the woman's body that I believe has rights. It is the unborn baby who's very life is threatened who's rights are being completely forgotten. Each child is a unique individual with a lifetime ahead of them. A woman's "rights" need only be infringed upon for 9 months. You are taking away a lifetime of "rights" from the baby when you kill it. Why is there no concern for those rights?

Try to remember that outlawing abortion will NOT end abortions.
Wealthy women will simply go to Europe for safe abortions and poor women will take their lives in their hands having illegal ones here....aren't THEIR lives precious also???
But they do not HAVE to have an abortion. That is the point. They can have the baby and give it up for adoption. That way NO ONE dies.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:50 AM

919 posts, read 1,682,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
You know, if a woman were FORCED to keep, raise, and support her child, the arguement for abortion might make more sense...I doubt if I'd agree with it but it would at least make more sense. But a woman is not put in that position. There are thousands and thousands of loving homes just waiting and praying for the opportunity to adopt a baby. So what it boils down to is a woman enduring 9 months of pregnancy in order to provide 80 years of life to another. I have a hard time convincing myself that 80 years of life isn't worth a few months of discomfort. And for those who say that they just couldn't stand to "give away their baby" I have a question. If you have a puppy and because or a change of circumstances you have to move to a place where you can't keep your puppy, do you take it out and kill it or do you try to find a good home for it? I'd bet very few of you would take away the puppy's life because you couldn't keep it. So how can you do that to a baby? I believe that, as human beings, we have a responsiblity to reach out to help those who are not in a position to help themselves and that also applies to the innocent unborn baby. By the way, I am a proud feminist AND I am pro life.
Where are they? Only 20% of adoptions go to black children in this country by white couples. Like I've said before in other thread....there are thousands of children WAITING to be adopted RIGHT NOW!

Last edited by LoveMiiorHateMii; 06-26-2008 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 06-26-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
So what are you saying here?

Liberals and Democrats don't care about children before they're born?

or

Neocons and Republicans don't care about children after they're born?

That's a pretty sweeping statement you made.

All I was saying is, if you want others to "keep your laws off my body and out of my bedroom" then you can't have it both ways.

Either govt. tells us how to live or it doesn't.

If you don't want others telling you that you must give birth to the child you've conceived, then you can't complain when government steps back and lets people raise their children freely as they see fit. Or when people eat trans fats or too many Burger King burgers. Or smoke too much. Or spank their kids.
They do not support abortion rights....but support ending social programs that help mothers out with their children they did not abort....that seems to me like a republican want a millions of unwanted kids....but do not care about what happens to them after they are born here.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:14 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,681,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
Where are they? Only 20% of adoptions go to black children in this country by white couples. Like I've said before in other thread....there are thousands of children WAITING to be adopted RIGHT NOW!
Yes, there are. They are waiting because of our governments dabbling in social engineering ---- blood is best even if the blood in question belongs to an abusive drug addict. So, those thousands and thousands of children who need homes and are now available for adoption have spent the majority of their lives in and out of foster care and in and out of their abusive and/or negletful parental homes. These children are likely to be in their later childhoods and early teen years. With a lot of emotional baggage thanks in large part to a liberal based ideology in social welfare.

As I have explained before in other threads .......this is why there are children waiting for adoption. Stop the endless reunification mantra, and there will be thousands and thousands of children adopted, regardless of race.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:47 AM

Again I ask, how many normal healthy infants are waiting to be adopted, but nobody wants them?

Normal, healthy infants.

I'd bet that most kids that are in your statistic of "all the millions of children up for adoption but nobody wants them", are older kids, who already have issues.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:58 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,681,435 times
Quote:
Again I ask, how many normal healthy infants are waiting to be adopted, but nobody wants them?

Normal, healthy infants.

I'd bet that most kids that are in your statistic of "all the millions of children up for adoption but nobody wants them", are older kids, who already have issues.
I get what you are saying bbkaren....but I would like to clarify as an adoptive parent who looked into all options including domestic (private and foster) adoptions.....most adoptive parents aren't even that concerned about 'healthy' or 'normal'. Obviously there are conditions that would preclude adoption, but I think people who like to shout "noone wants the unhealthy ones" would be quite surprised, that yes...people do.
Now age and emotional devolpment is actually a more harder 'sell'. The thought of adopting a child with RAD and similiar issues scares the crap out of most adoptive parents. And for a reason......love alone cannot help a lot of children once they get to that state.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:

Normal, healthy infants.

So its ok to have older children waiting for adoption for the rest of their lives? If someone wants to be a parent then they should take all ages into consideration and not complain that all the abortions people are having are taking away the precious baby pool. That is sick and ridiculous!

This also applies to people who over look dogs because they want puppies. I absolutly hate it.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:20 PM

I'd guess, although I've never been in that situation (perhaps you have), that people want a child that they can raise.

Without having to deal with unknown issues instilled upon the child by his or her former parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies