Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 08:42 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,510,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
And calling a baby by another name does not mystically change the fact that it is a baby.
Baby

Not A Baby

Quote:
Where, exactly, do you think babies come from? I get the feeling that you might think babies are actually brought by a stork while the act of sex between a man and a woman only results in these strange creatures who's only purpose is to invade an innocent woman and destroy her life.
Pretty desperate. Why not answer some of the questions or address some of the issues. Such as where some uninvited zygote obtains the right to take up residence inside a woman against her wishes? Does the stork bring that??? A stork would of course be a better answer than any that you or anyone else has so far provided.

Quote:
As far as arriving "unbidden", with the exception of rape, you have many OTHER choices to prevent an unwanted pregnancy.
How do you explain then the fact that roughly half of all pregnancies are unintended and nearly half of those are outright unwanted? I don't think you're facing the facts of the matter here.

Quote:
You can dress it up in every kind of language you want and justify it in every way you want but it still comes down to one simple fact. A woman is so selfish that she is not willing to give 9 months so that another human being could have 80 years of life.
In that case, should not all women everywhere be striving to bear the 20-25 children that each could, if only she were not so LAZY? I mean, what's nine months as against 80 years. How many kids do you have, again? Reached your mandated production quota yet?

Old 06-26-2008, 08:57 PM

5,169 posts, read 11,451,921 times
Reached your mandated production quota yet?

and don't forget, got to produce a few more, so those that want to adopt have a bigger choice... I hear blond haired, blue eyed, white infants are especially sought after.

forum rules, please read them

Old 06-26-2008, 09:03 PM

728 posts, read 1,679,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Who made you god? Who are you to decide what any person chooses to do with their body?

If I ever got pregnant, I'd rip it out of my body as fast as I could.
I've been sterilized so hopefully that won't happen.

You are not required to do anything with your body that you don't choose to do, why would you insist that someone else do with their body what you want them to do?

Most people give more thought to getting a puppy than breeding.

And yes, breeding is an appropriate term:

breed - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Main Entry: 1breed
Pronunciation: \ˈbrēd\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): bred \ˈbred\; breed·ing
Etymology: Middle English breden, from Old English brēdan; akin to Old English brōd brood
Date: before 12th century
transitive verb
1: to produce (offspring) by hatching or gestation
2 a: beget 1 b: produce, engender <despair often breeds violence>
3: to propagate (plants or animals) sexually and usually under controlled conditions <bred several strains of corn together to produce a superior variety>
4 a: bring up, nurture <born and bred in the country> b: to inculcate by training <breed good manners into one's children>
5 a: 4mate 3 b: to mate with : inseminate c: impregnate 2
6: to produce (a fissionable element) by bombarding a nonfissionable element with neutrons from a radioactive element
intransitive verb
1 a: to produce offspring by sexual union b: copulate, mate
2: to propagate animals or plants
That's funny..I think my wife and I spent a good amount of time talking about and planning for our daughter. Our labrador retriever took about a whole two minutes of critical decision making. I really don't know, or want to know, what world the "save the world" liberals live on.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:21 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,655,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Reached your mandated production quota yet?

and don't forget, got to produce a few more, so those that want to adopt have a bigger choice... I hear blond haired, blue eyed, white infants are especially sought after.
Very pithy Wholly inaccurate, of course, but what does a silly thing like a sound argument mean against a pretense of wit?
If you want to talk about adoption, perhaps you would be better off reading a few posts on this page and the one before it. Oh, never mind....you witty thing! You have much to much to do finding cute ways to trivialize women and lives.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:33 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,655,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Baby

Not A Baby

I hope neither you nor LML mind, but I couldn't resist helping you out here, since you seem to be a bit confused about reproduction...

Pretty desperate. Why not answer some of the questions or address some of the issues. Such as where some uninvited zygote obtains the right to take up residence inside a woman against her wishes? Does the stork bring that??? A stork would of course be a better answer than any that you or anyone else has so far provided.
Well, a zygote isn't exactly uninvited, is it? Unless a woman is raped she has to know that by the very act of unprotected sex she is inviting sperm into her vagina, which would then travel up to her uterus then into her fallopian tubes where they just might meet an egg --- the womans egg in case you wondering. The sperm and the egg then join producing, very quickly a zygote. So, the zygote didn't just burst in unnanounced like some sort of home invasion uterine style......it was invited in by virtue of the woman allowing the man to ejaculate inside of her.
So, are we clear now that the stork is not involved, nor are any organized crime families of zygotes?

How do you explain then the fact that roughly half of all pregnancies are unintended and nearly half of those are outright unwanted? I don't think you're facing the facts of the matter here.
Back it up with data, baby! And again, I do believe that sex and ejaculation has something to with this.......

In that case, should not all women everywhere be striving to bear the 20-25 children that each could, if only she were not so LAZY? I mean, what's nine months as against 80 years. How many kids do you have, again? Reached your mandated production quota yet?
Where in the hell do you get that? You are always trying to tie in women having twenty five babies with the anti abortion movement? I mean, wtf? Talk about an extreme argument that is based not in one iota of fact. Because, and forgive me but I do believe we went over this many times, birth control is not abortion. Masturbation is not abortion either, in case you were planning on going there and neither is menstruation. And finally, zygotes and fetus' are not the mongol hordes sweeping over the uterine plains, ready to impregnant unwary women at a moments notice. Women are not victims to our reproduction. We can be victims of rape. However, we are not victims of our own ability to reproduce. We can make poor choices regarding it, but we are not victims. So please, kindly stop. It offends my inner feminist.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:36 PM

5,169 posts, read 11,451,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Very pithy Wholly inaccurate, of course, but what does a silly thing like a sound argument mean against a pretense of wit?
If you want to talk about adoption, perhaps you would be better off reading a few posts on this page and the one before it. Oh, never mind....you witty thing! You have much to much to do finding cute ways to trivialize women and lives.
Nope. I am NOT the one that says that no matter what is going on in a woman's life, spousal abuse, poverty, etc. she should continue an unwanted pregnancy and then give up the baby for adoption. I think THAT is trivializing issues women face and reducing them to breeding machines.

forum rules, please read them

Old 06-26-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Mystical beliefs do not change a fetus into a baby.....time does that. Time also changes a child into an adult.
Time is also what turns acorns into oak trees. Ever try to make a coffee table out of acorns? Meanwhile, Adults=Full Rights; Child=Partial Rights; Infant=Few Rights. Maybe you sense a trend here?

Quote:
Unreported differences between a wanted pregnancy and an unwanted one? Are you for real? Do you think this fact has escaped any woman over thousands of years that one pregnancy can bring delight while another will bring dread --- to the same woman?!
No, I don't think that it has escaped the minds of women over the centuries. But it most certainly had escaped this discussion until I raised the matter. And you with this little string of questions do not so much as begin to address it.

Quote:
Fetal enslavement? Have you recently taken a womans studies course by any chance?
Are you addicted to the asking of meaningless rhetorical questions? Maybe seek out a support group.

Quote:
I argue the case only that woman should know and face what it is they are ending, and it is not a worm and it is not a psychotic gun weilding adult magically shrunken into a uterus. It is a unique human life that will not be replicated again.
Is a part of your argument a claim that women by the millions are unaware of what it is they are terminating? My own experience with women confronted by an unwanted pregnancy is that they make every effort to understand their situations and the consequences of each of their available alternatives, all of which are bad in their degrees. You insult women by assuming their stupidity and lack of caring or involvement.

Quote:
How do we excise human life in routine medical and cosmetic procedures? Or are those new euphemisms for abortions?
Look into the details of a colonoscopy. Consider the act of having your cuticles trimmed during a manicure.

Quote:
Cult of the fetus? Now who is being a complete and utter slave to idealogues?
What else to call groups of fanatics who ascribe super-rights to pea-sized masses of human tissue without being able to present any sort of organized argument in support of such actions? Cults are often typified by their extreme beliefs and bizarre behaviors. If the shoe fits.

Quote:
I think the abhorance of reality is a trait you share with pro life extremists. Late term abortion for any fetus for any reason is going to be barbaric in nature...
A part of the reality of the tiny, tiny fraction of all abortions that end up being performed post-viability are the reasons why those procedures are performed. Being a realist, maybe you could have listed some of those.

Quote:
They describe it as it is. Pro choice extremists (yes,they do exist) try to gloss over unpleasant details --- because they are unpleasant!
Your emotions get the better of you. In a more sober moment, I suspect that you would concede that even the most fervent of pro-choice advocates understands the unpleasantness associated with late-term abortions. It is, after all, pro-choicers who empathize with those who are unfortunately caught up in such situations. Pro-lifers choose to smear and excoriate them.

Quote:
As far as magically shrinking a toddler into a uterus -- why not? Haven't you been shrinking down Attila the Hun?
No, I am presenting a precise and quite relevant analogy. One that you have so far steadfastly refused to address. I fully expect that this refusal will continue indefinitely.

Quote:
Do you understand what a miscarriage is?
Yes, I do, and I also understand, as I'm sure you did as well, that the question had nothing to do with miscarriages. Here once more is that question that you simply ducked, flinched, and shied away from...

...unless you mean to compel each and every woman to bear all of the 20-25 children that she could conceivably bear over a reproductive lifetime, some means of selection between the available candidates will be called for. In considering such a means, into whose hands would you place the primary decision-making powers?

Would you like to try actually answering the question this second time around???

Quote:
No dear, hiding from reality is when people call a fetus nothing more then a worm, a parasite, a blob, a mass of tissues and blood, a visogoth, a burgler and any other description that takes the very core of truth out of the abortion debate --- it is human. It is unique. It has unnkown potential. And that is reality.
A fetus is a fetus. We reality-recognizers are down with that. It is others who struggle so with the Baby/Not-A-Baby dichotomy and so much more. Intruders earlier described were human, unique, and of unknown potential as well. They were also of an age to possess a full and complete set of rights, yet in the event of one's invading your personal domain in an uninvited and threatening manner, you are within your rights in nearly all states to kill it in self-defense. Face the music, answer the question: Whence does a fetus derive a super-right that is the 180-degree opposite of what is accorded to actual and unmistakable adult human beings?

Old 06-27-2008, 03:21 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,321,533 times
Caution, photos:

What does an early abortion look like? (http://www.abortion.org.au/abortionpictures.htm - broken link)

Developmental Biology 8e Online: Images of Embryos Used by Anti-Abortion Activists

Old 06-27-2008, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
Don't you know that the liberal/hippy moonbats have other daunting tasks at hand? I mean, consider..rising oceans, ethical treatment of animals,feeding African nations that stay in self destruct mode, homosexual marriages and so on. We're just talking about a fetus here guys, we don't want to burden a "liberated" woman with a child..she may have a world to save.
She may indeed have a world to save. And if so, that is her business entirely and none whatsoever of yours. Roe v Wade does not establish a right to abortion -- it establishes the Constitutional right not to be pregnant. That is, it confirms each woman's right to decide herself if she will bear any, or any more, children.

I'm not sure what word to apply to those who who are so vain and so full of themselves as to assume a right of going around invalidating the personal (and in many cases, medical) decisions of individual women, forcing them against their wills, wishes, and best interests either to bear or not to bear a child. Who in the he!! do such people think they are?

Old 06-27-2008, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
And many of us don't have a problem with early term abortion in the event of a failure of whatever sort.
And what of those failures of whatever sort -- such as fetal death, as one example -- that do not tend to manifest until late in gestation? What of those conditions and complications that are progressive in nature? If we know at 20 weeks that they are there, must we abort on the spot? Or do we carry on in hopes of finding a way to bring a wanted pregnancy to a successful conclusion in those cases, knowing that there is some significant chance of a failure in that attempt that would mandate a late-term abortion? What would you do in that situation? Who should decide for you what you would do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies