Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2008, 02:17 PM

2,940 posts, read 4,012,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post

The Planned Parenthood analysis is made up of the following doctors, do you doubt their expertise?:
I doubt anyone who is working for Planned Parenthood. They have a financial interest in keeping abortion as legal as possible. That's no better than studies on the health effects of smoking commissioned by Phillip Morris.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:21 PM

10,654 posts, read 18,756,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
I doubt anyone who is working for Planned Parenthood. They have a financial interest in keeping abortion as legal as possible. That's no better than studies on the health effects of smoking commissioned by Phillip Morris.
FYI - Planned Parenthood is a non-profit organization, that does not just perform abortions. Abortions are a small part of their valuable practice to the public, they also provide gyn exams, birth control, and pre-natal care. Abortions account for 3% of their services. Here is a link: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/fil...ual_report.pdf

So you doubt doctors from Mount Sinai, Cornell, Columbia who are experts in the fields of fetal pain and neurosurgery, as well as ultrasounds... yet you put trust into an ex abortion doctor who put out a manipulated video?

Did you bother opening up the multiple fetal pain studies from medical journals I linked, or are you just going to believe what was fed to you in a video?

Now, where is this scientific study that proves humanity? I posted mine that disproves that statement, where is your counter?

Old 06-17-2008, 02:24 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,711,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
You base your opinions on ultrasound images? That's a little frightening no matter what opinion you end up with. Viability meanwhile is a development-specific, not a time-specific milestone. It varies from one fetus to another. The standard meanwhile continues to be set at 24 weeks. Miraculous outcomes do not alter the standard. In general, viability is the point where the chance for survival outside the womb goes from being zero to being an extremely small number that is just above zero. For a fetus born at this stage, many months of aggressive and intensive care would be required in pursuit of small chances for survival.

Well, let's see. At 21 weeks, a fetus doesn't have anything near the neural networks needed to transmit pain signals, the neural processing centers of the brain that would interpret those signals are not yet adequately developed to accomplish the task, and none of the experiential training in actual pain recognition has even been begun yet.

Only about one out of a hundred surgical abortions would be performed this late, so all of them are outliers of some sort or other. Reasons would vary from patient to patient. Probably would have to be something pretty significant, as not so many folks are going to go through five months of being pregnant and then suddenly just change their minds.

You can use whatever rationales you like in guiding your own reproductive history. It's when you want to start guiding other people that the bar gets raised a little bit...
I understand what you are saying. I hope you are right that fetus' cannot feel pain. Judging by the death of my own at 20 weeks, it certainly felt like there were death throes involved, and while it can certainly be argued that those were involuntary reactions.....still couldn't be too comfortable an experience for her.
I am not standing on a street corner condemning scared 15 year olds to hell for getting the pill. I do question the medical veracity of viability (it certainly has changed the parameters of the abortion debate in the last thirty years you would have to agree) and of brain function. How much is really known about the brain? Even experts in the field (and I certainly am not one) will agree that the human brain is not wholly understand at this time.
And that is all I am saying.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
You know way too much detail about abortions....how do you know all this?
If you read through the thread, you would find, that I myself had an early term abortion, and I also volunteered at a clinic that performed late term abortions.

I also like to educate myself on the facts of a subject I am passionate about, so I can ensure that I am giving out correct information.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
If you read through the thread, you would find, that I myself had an early term abortion, and I also volunteered at a clinic that performed late term abortions.

I also like to educate myself on the facts of a subject I am passionate about, so I can ensure that I am giving out correct information.

You volunteered at a clinic that performed LATE TERM abortions? <<shaking head>> You couldn't find a more worthy organization to volunteer your time to? A homeless shelter, soup kitchen, Habitat for Humanity, anything?

I would think there are many better causes to be passionate about than the ending of innocent helpless lives....

Old 06-17-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
You volunteered at a clinic that performed LATE TERM abortions? <<shaking head>> You couldn't find a more worthy organization to volunteer your time to? A homeless shelter, soup kitchen, Habitat for Humanity, anything?

I would think there are many better causes to be passionate about than the ending of innocent helpless lives....
After experiencing protesters first hand when I went in for my abortion - I became passionate about helping young women in need, it was a VERY worthy use of my time. I was the person that walked them through the throngs of protesters screaming at them while they were terrified. I wore a bright orange vest and got to hope no one would shoot me!

Maybe I just value the feelings and lives of those women over the potential life of a fetus. It was a very fulfilling experience for me.

Guess what? The women aborting for severe fetal defect still had to push their way through the protesters calling them baby killers. Quite sad.

By the way, still waiting on that link...

Old 06-17-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
After experiencing protesters first hand when I went in for my abortion - I became passionate about helping young women in need, it was a VERY worthy use of my time. I was the person that walked them through the throngs of protesters screaming at them while they were terrified. I wore a bright orange vest and got to hope no one would shoot me!

Maybe I just value the feelings and lives of those women over the potential life of a fetus. It was a very fulfilling experience for me.

Guess what? The women aborting for severe fetal defect still had to push their way through the protesters calling them baby killers. Quite sad.

By the way, still waiting on that link...
Well, they are baby killers. The truth hurts. Most women I know who have had abortions regret the decision.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Well, they are baby killers. The truth hurts. Most women I know who have had abortions regret the decision.
Are you a baby killer if the baby inside of you has no brain? Has a skull swollen so large that giving birth is impossible?

Most women I know have no regrets at all, including myself.

We can go in circles again, I state it's not a baby, you state it is... but you still haven't provided any proof.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:45 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,627,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I understand what you are saying. I hope you are right that fetus' cannot feel pain. Judging by the death of my own at 20 weeks, it certainly felt like there were death throes involved, and while it can certainly be argued that those were involuntary reactions.....still couldn't be too comfortable an experience for her.
I'm sorry that you lost a wanted pregnancy. You have much company there, I'm afraid...many people who remember what they went through and wish you well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
How much is really known about the brain? Even experts in the field (and I certainly am not one) will agree that the human brain is not wholly understand at this time. And that is all I am saying.
Quite a bit is known about the physical structure and initial development of the brain. It's the details of its operations once it gets going that are the tricky part.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:05 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,627,220 times
Quote:
Really interesting. As a truth-knower in this area, where did you go to get all the facts sorted out? What reliable sources would you recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies