Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 07:32 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times

Advertisements

Here is the link - Race to the bottom: Mexico lowers wages to snare international auto production - International Herald Tribune

Talk about NAFTA being a double-edged sword!

Memo to Mexico - In order to compete with China, you'll need full-blown slavery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 07:34 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Then we must lower our wages to compete with Mexico. We should all work for $1 an hour!

Old 06-06-2008, 07:54 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Title is mis-leading because Mexico does not have a minimum wage.

The story is about a union lowering wages so that the car company they work for can stay competitive. If only some companies here in the USA did that, we might still be producing steel.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:10 PM

33,538 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Yeah right...Everybody in north america accepts $1.50 per hour as a starting wage, then who can buy the products made of the steel produced? My opinion is that manufacturers are shooting themselves in the foot with NAFTA by shipping the jobs that pay a living wage to countries that pay slave wages...Soon only the wealthy will by able to buy the goods produced. How much do you think the auto companies will lower the price of cars produced in Mexico and sold in North America? Do you really think the prices will reflect the lower cost of labor?

Most of the assembly is done with robots these days, and I didn't see a drop in price when that switch was made years ago. The workers are taking it up the *** once again.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yeah right...Everybody in north america accepts $1.50 per hour as a starting wage, then who can buy the products made of the steel produced? My opinion is that manufacturers are shooting themselves in the foot with NAFTA by shipping the jobs that pay a living wage to countries that pay slave wages...Soon only the wealthy will by able to buy the goods produced. How much do you think the auto companies will lower the price of cars produced in Mexico and sold in North America? Do you really think the prices will reflect the lower cost of labor?

Most of the assembly is done with robots these days, and I didn't see a drop in price when that switch was made years ago. The workers are taking it up the *** once again.
Actually, companies are moving their companies to countries that do not regulate the he.. out of them and mandate x, y, and z, to the point that they cant afford to compete world wide.

How are "manufacturors" shooting themselves in the foot by moving their companies to Mexico to pay slave wages?

Of course they wont lower the price of the cars produced in Mexico, but I'm sure the unions probably thought that securing their jobs was much more important then more money, especially in a country like Mexico where quality jobs are hard pressed.

For individuals, its microeconomics
For companies, its macroeconomics

Employees will continue to take it up the a... until the USA has more jobs then citizens and we are free to negotiate our own wages, not simply accept what the company is offering.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Title is mis-leading because Mexico does not have a minimum wage.

The story is about a union lowering wages so that the car company they work for can stay competitive. If only some companies here in the USA did that, we might still be producing steel.
Ok, I stand corrected, they actually do have a minimum wage, its $1595 a year.

Which brings up the point that the current wage is nearly 6 times the minimum wage. Why did they pay so much in a country like Mexico? Because other manufacturing companies were going to Mexico also and they had to compete against other companies to hire employees.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:37 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,925,039 times
The Japanese and Germans are still locating auto factories in the US.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:50 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,780 times
There is nothing wrong with the quality in Mexico. I work down there extensively. They have come light years in the past decade. Many companies that left Mexico for China are coming back to Mexico because of quality,leadtime and service issues they have been experiecing.

I agree that the Unions with their free or next to free health care and pensions and restrictive regulations are what is killing U.S. competitiveness in the global automotive industry.

Why many Japanese and Euro companies are also packing up and heading for Canada these days.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
There is nothing wrong with the quality in Mexico. I work down there extensively. They have come light years in the past decade. Many companies that left Mexico for China are coming back to Mexico because of quality,leadtime and service issues they have been experiecing.

I agree that the Unions with their free or next to free health care and pensions and restrictive regulations are what is killing U.S. competitiveness in the global automotive industry.

Why many Japanese and Euro companies are also packing up and heading for Canada these days.
Canada is even more unionized than the USA is- although they do not have to pay healthcare cost there.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Ok, I stand corrected, they actually do have a minimum wage, its $1595 a year.

Which brings up the point that the current wage is nearly 6 times the minimum wage. Why did they pay so much in a country like Mexico? Because other manufacturing companies were going to Mexico also and they had to compete against other companies to hire employees.
I think us Americans could live fine on $1595 a year. We could all live in tents or in little camper trailers. Maybe FEMA has some trailers left over for us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies