Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 08:59 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,595,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Maybe they will wake-up and vote differently next time.
Wont happen. Liberalism is an incurable disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2023, 09:26 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,598,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
IIRC, we will get a larger exemption on the property tax. Most of us pay property tax plus a Municipal utility district fee. I pay 500 a year to pay off the bonds for water supply and getting it to my house. Then a HOA fee that pays for street lights, etc in the subdivision. The trash pick up comes from the HOA or MUD.

In Houston area we also pay a fee on the water bill for regional water authority. That is because Houston is sinking. So we have to stop draining the aquifer dry.That fee goes to put in the infrastructure for getting water from Lake Houston. It is based on the amount of water used. We figure that fee cost us 25 bucks when we water the yard, plus the water.

Depending on the amenities in the subdivision add on to the property tax another $1500- 2500 fees.
Montgomery County used to send a sort of notice/‘pre bill’ generated/cut sometime in October. I didn’t get one this year, so I checked on their site re any funny business re my title. No changes/no tampering. I looked at the total amount of the tax…due by end of January of 2024…and, off the top of my head, it appears to be less than the previous year.

Old 11-21-2023, 10:09 AM

19,888 posts, read 18,176,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
And tax cuts - that's pretty broad. I'm glad that they're increasing the exemption amount but it doesn't apply to the ISD tax and that's usually the lion share. I'm sick of all the CADs (appraisal districts) jacking up the values, usually arbitrarily, and making it harder to argue an opinion of value. I do hope we see some relief but the property tax is what makes Texas almost unaffordable. I'd like to see some real relief.
Unless your income is very low your overall state and local tax burden would almost for certainly be higher in most other sates. Texas has the 6th lowest overall burden per The Tax Foundation.

https://taxfoundation.org/data/all/s...by-state-2022/

Old 11-21-2023, 10:10 AM

19,888 posts, read 18,176,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessedenveer View Post
Surely Democrats haven't been in charge in Texas for 44 years.

Republicans could have given tax cuts earlier. They didn't.

It is naive to pretend Republican state and federal governments are better at budgeting. They spend differently not less.
That last part is categorically untrue as seen time after time across state after state.

Old 11-21-2023, 10:13 AM

771 posts, read 301,781 times
Wow I would think that money would be better spent fixing the electrical grid in Texas. I guess this is how the Republicans can con the voters into thinking they are getting a tax cut though. Enjoy paying off the 10 billion for the next 30 years that is owed from the winter storm in 2021.

Quote:
Texas ratepayers are on the hook for at least $10.1 billion in debt that was incurred during the deadly February 2021 storm and they will be paying off much of that debt for the next 30 years. Making matters worse, the surcharges added to consumers’ bills to repay that debt will come on top of soaring electricity rates. (More on that in a moment).
Quote:
Two decades ago, when the Texas electric grid was — in the words used by the late Enron CEO, Ken Lay, “restructured” — politicians promised that ratepayers were going to benefit. In 1999, then-governor George W. Bush held a press conference during which he said the recently concluded legislative session delivered “the most far-reaching deregulation” of electricity “of any state in this United States“ and that it would “mean lower electric rates for people all across the spectrum.”

That hasn’t happened. Instead, the restructuring of the Texas electricity market resulted in the near-collapse of the ERCOT grid in February 2021.
I am sure the companies made out well with the deregulation, but the average consumer has been squeezed.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertb...ter-storm-uri/

Old 11-21-2023, 10:37 AM

63,040 posts, read 29,243,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime1 View Post
Wow I would think that money would be better spent fixing the electrical grid in Texas. I guess this is how the Republicans can con the voters into thinking they are getting a tax cut though. Enjoy paying off the 10 billion for the next 30 years that is owed from the winter storm in 2021.

I am sure the companies made out well with the deregulation, but the average consumer has been squeezed.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertb...ter-storm-uri/
Typical lefty here deflecting from the main part of this topic which is Democrat NYC mayor Adam proposing 12 billion for "immigrants" while cutting all kinds of services for New Yorkers and then turning tax cuts by a Republican governor into a negative thing.

Old 11-21-2023, 11:10 AM

771 posts, read 301,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Typical lefty here deflecting from the main part of this topic which is Democrat NYC mayor Adam proposing 12 billion for "immigrants" while cutting all kinds of services for New Yorkers and then turning tax cuts by a Republican governor into a negative thing.
The fact that Abbott is cutting taxes is in the title of the thread! I am sorry those inconvenient facts about the so called tax cuts hurt your feelings. NY has plenty of problems itself, but Texas is no prize either.

Old 11-21-2023, 11:43 AM

63,040 posts, read 29,243,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime1 View Post
The fact that Abbott is cutting taxes is in the title of the thread! I am sorry those inconvenient facts about the so called tax cuts hurt your feelings. NY has plenty of problems itself, but Texas is no prize either.
The topic of this thread was to show how ridiculous Adams was being by cutting services to citizens to support all of these migrants opposed to what Abbott was doing for the citizens of Texas instead. Looks like that truth must have hurt YOUR feelings. You somehow ignored the former while you made the latter into a negative thing. This isn't about whether NY or Texas is a prize either.

Old 11-21-2023, 12:26 PM

11,852 posts, read 8,074,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Good for Abbott and Good for Adams. They are fulfilling their campaign pledges.
The problem is these Sanctuary Cities like NY are getting buried in debt by the Illegal Aliens and eventually they will need Federal Bailouts which means we will all be paying for our New "Migrant" neighbors.

We can thank Abbott and Desantis for making this crisis Headline news when they bused and flew Illegals to the Sanctuary cities and islands. The Left called these "Stunts" that were using people as political pawns and they even threatened to charge them with KIDNAPPING and HUMAN TRAFFICKING.

Hmmm I wonder what ever happened to those charges? The Dems are probably keeping them at the ready if Desantis becomes the GOP Nominee so they can indict him..........?
The charges would fall on their face in court because what Abbott did does not qualify for those definitions.

Old 11-21-2023, 12:35 PM

11,852 posts, read 8,074,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Texas has high property taxes. This latest tax cut is a property tax cut, and an attempt to give Texans their own light version of California Proposition 13. A very light version. Proposition 13 is better.
Texas doesn't have 'state' property tax is what he means. The property taxes in Texas are not set at the state level and the revenues do not go to the state. They are set and collected at the local government level which I believe is the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies