Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2023, 11:41 AM

8,146 posts, read 3,702,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Recommends. It's NOT required. It's more beneficial to capable students to NOT repeat courses they've already mastered for several reasons:

1) Why pay thousands of dollars to take courses covering material you've already mastered?
2) The larger the number of college credits one has, the higher they are on the seniority list to register for the classes they need to take. No more being locked out of closed prerequisite classes so that one can't progress.
3) Highly capable students frequently pursue multiple simultaneous degrees and/or telescope earning a BS and Master's into a shorter amount of time, thereby reducing the total cost of their education.

Of course, colleges want students to repeat as many courses as possible because it nets them more in tuition $$$ and it provides an additional excuse for all of their faculty and admin salaries.
Yes, if they "already mastered it" they shouldn't take it again. The problem is that you assume that having a 5 in Calculus BC means having mastered the subject, and that's not necessarily true. Not to mention the fact that the same subject can be taught at very different levels so mastery means different things anyway.

Old 06-30-2023, 11:51 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,251,150 times
The problem Harvard and other schools face is that their professors are condemning virtually every US institution as racist on a daily basis, loudly proclaiming from the ivory towers, in academic journals, media interviews, Twitter etc. They know that their own garments must be spotless in this regard. Nothing less than exact proportional representation of blacks and Latinos in the student body will do.
In the end that is all that counts, the egos of the overwhelmingly white academic elite who must always be right.

Don't expect Harvard to comply. Laurence Tribe has declared the current SCOTUS is illegitimate.
Plans B, C, D etc. are already on the shelf to used for making an end run around this ruling.
Each legal challenge will take 5 to 10 years just like Students for Fair Admissions.

Old 06-30-2023, 11:53 AM

29,609 posts, read 16,592,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Race should never be on a job application unless it is related to qualifications needed to do the job (e.g., acting role).
I can agree with this. However my point is that racism and prejudice still play a role in not only college admissions , but the larger work and society around us.

Affirmative Action existed specifically because black children(18) could not go to many of these State schools.

I think many retroactively view Brown v. Board as the end of school segregation or maybe even George Wallace at the University of Alabama failing to stop black students from attending, but I think people don't realize that there are large pockets of this country that were still segregated.

My parents for example, went to high school in the early 70s in south Alabama , both their highschools , about 20 miles away from each other , were completely segregated and where the regional black high schools . They didn't integrate until my uncle was a freshmen in 1977.

I am the first generation of my family that didn't attend segregated subpar schools.

On top of that , I think many believe colleges were integrated over night the same way some public schools were and that's not close to true. State where the population is 20/30 black had less than 100 black students attending them well into the 80s and many times most of them where the athletes.

The reason why that matters with Affirmative action today is because it shows that we aren't as far in education as some think we are when it comes to equality. Now some of those enrollment numbers are based on black kids choosing to continue to HBCU school( because some are indeed legacies there ), but the numbers are still disproportionate.

Old 06-30-2023, 12:00 PM

6,638 posts, read 4,326,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I can agree with this. However my point is that racism and prejudice still play a role in not only college admissions , but the larger work and society around us.

Affirmative Action existed specifically because black children(18) could not go to many of these State schools.

I think many retroactively view Brown v. Board as the end of school segregation or maybe even George Wallace at the University of Alabama failing to stop black students from attending, but I think people don't realize that there are large pockets of this country that were still segregated.

My parents for example, went to high school in the early 70s in south Alabama , both their highschools , about 20 miles away from each other , were completely segregated and where the regional black high schools . They didn't integrate until my uncle was a freshmen in 1977.

I am the first generation of my family that didn't attend segregated subpar schools.

On top of that , I think many believe colleges were integrated over night the same way some public schools were and that's not close to true. State where the population is 20/30 black had less than 100 black students attending them well into the 80s and many times most of them where the athletes.

The reason why that matters with Affirmative action today is because it shows that we aren't as far in education as some think we are when it comes to equality. Now some of those enrollment numbers are based on black kids choosing to continue to HBCU school( because some are indeed legacies there ), but the numbers are still disproportionate.
Entrance into college should be based on clear, objective measures. If black students are not measuring up, then the question is why? Is it inferior elementary and secondary schools for black children, less favorable family conditions, including many times, upbringing without a father, lack of exposure to travel and other environmental factors that have an impact? Perhaps, it's time to take a close look and find ways to address issues like these. Lowering entrance standards because of one's race is not the answer..

Last edited by Lizap; 06-30-2023 at 12:23 PM..

Old 06-30-2023, 12:32 PM

15,528 posts, read 7,551,940 times
Quote:
BS. Retaking courses one has already mastered isn't required. TAMU says so itself. The amount of credit one receives depends on one's AP exam score. It's likely your kid didn't earn a high enough score to merit the corresponding credits.
Do you have a kid at TAMU? No, you do not. Do not presume to tell me how things work there when you have no idea and are just reading a web site. My kid had a 4 on Calculus AB. He took the College Algebra class at TAMU and it covered a lot of material he had not seen before, as did the calculus class he took next. Had he been allowed to use the AP credit, he would have been woefully unprepared.

Old 06-30-2023, 12:39 PM

15,528 posts, read 7,551,940 times
Quote:
Recommends. It's NOT required. It's more beneficial to capable students to NOT repeat courses they've already mastered for several reasons:

1) Why pay thousands of dollars to take courses covering material you've already mastered?
2) The larger the number of college credits one has, the higher they are on the seniority list to register for the classes they need to take. No more being locked out of closed prerequisite classes so that one can't progress.
3) Highly capable students frequently pursue multiple simultaneous degrees and/or telescope earning a BS and Master's into a shorter amount of time, thereby reducing the total cost of their education.

Of course, colleges want students to repeat as many courses as possible because it nets them more in tuition $$$ and it provides an additional excuse for all of their faculty and admin salaries.
Advisors have to approve the classes a student signs up for, especially as an incoming freshman. Advisors don't approve skipping calculus with AP credit.

TAMU is a state school. Tuition and required fees for a semester for an in state student taking 12 or more hours is $6700 (or something like that). That tuition is subsidized by the State of Texas. Taking classes that might have qualified for AP credit has no impact on the University.

Old 06-30-2023, 12:40 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,198,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'm reading the opinion, but still curious how the Supreme Court justified ruling against Harvard on 14th Amendment (vice Title VI) grounds as the 14th Amendment prohibits certain government action. Harvard, as a private organization, is not the government.
Doesn't matter.

First, Harvard voluntarily submitted itself to the jurisdiction of the federal courts way back whenever.

Harvard rang the bell. It cannot unring the bell now.

Second, Harvard is a government actor. Therefore, it is treated as a government agency.

Finally, the nexus. Harvard accepts Pell Grants, government backed student loans, federal government education funds, federal government contracts, State educational grants, Stated education funds and State government contracts. It must comply with all relevant laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Admission should be a strict meritocracy.
Admissions to a 4-year college should be minimum 27 ACT and 2100 SAT.

Anyone who can't score that high isn't worthy of a 4-year college.

In a Free Market, the response would be the immediate creation of 2-year technical and vocational schools.

Which would make our system very much like the rest of the world.

But we don't have a Free Market because the majority of schools are government schools.

Even so, some States would immediately move to 2-year technical and vocational schools which would make our system very much like the rest of the world.

That 4-year degrees are required is the employer response to State and federal government laws that make it impossible or incredibly costly to fire mediocre employees and incompetent/bad employees.

Once States coerce a 2-year majority system, employers will be forced to go with that.

Quote:
The only racism and prejudice in college admissions is blatant racism and prejudice against Asians.

In the larger society around us, racism and prejudice is a tiny minority and it is mostly Democrats and the Media which, like employer responses to government interference in employment, gets a backlash from a small minority.

Quote:
That was 70+ years ago. They've been going to those schools for the last 50+ years.

You might wanna invest in a new calendar.

Quote:
They were not segregated and what you are demanding is forced integration.

Quote:
The reason why that matters with Affirmative action today is because it shows that we aren't as far in education as some think we are when it comes to equality.
That is the result of Black Culture which is toxic.

Old 06-30-2023, 12:46 PM

27,644 posts, read 28,738,299 times
Quote:
If black students are not measuring up, then the question is why? Is it inferior elementary and secondary schools for black children, less favorable family conditions, including many times, upbringing without a father, lack of exposure to travel and other environmental factors that have an impact?
There is a very high level of sexual promiscuity and out-of-wedlock births.

67% of black children are born to single mothers.

They are much more likely to be low income than married mothers.

Old 06-30-2023, 12:56 PM

29,609 posts, read 16,592,989 times
Quote:
Entrance into college should be based on clear, objective measures. If black students are not measuring up, then the question is why? Is it inferior elementary and secondary schools for black children, less favorable family conditions, including many times, upbringing without a father, lack of exposure to travel and other environmental factors that have an impact? Perhaps, it's time to take a close look and find ways to address issues like these. Lowering entrance standards because of one's race is not the answer..

It's lack of educational opportunity.

My school system was forced to offer all the same electives at my school as it was offering at the more white schools after a black parent threatened to sue or allow her daughter to transfer .

My school wasnt offering STEM electives ( my school was about 60/30/10) as another school in the area that was 87/3/10.

It has been shown time and time again that the problem is never the things you listed. It's always lack of opportunity and racial bias in admissions .

Old 06-30-2023, 12:58 PM

8,274 posts, read 3,516,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Coven View Post
Meh, calculus is calculus. There are different levels and you don't learn Calculus II and multivariable calculus without passing Calculus I.

The community college will have the same calculus courses as a university - if it has a decent math and science department.

There is math above calculus that you will only find at the unis, and which is only relevant to STEM majors.
Trigonometry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.